Motor Spinning Problems

Reaction score
Hi there.
Had a problem today--landed my P2 too hard, about 20 feet away from me and when it landed, it rolled to the side on to the props. Two of the props could not spin, while the other spun fine.

I was low on power and just shut everything down, and finished. This evening when I wanted to take out for one further flight, I noticed my problem. One motor spins normal, no issues. All three of the other motors are not spinning. They move a little in a jarring fashion and slowly, very slowly, spin, but the movement is minuscule, almost non-existent. I try to accelerate the motors, the one that's functioning properly winds up like normal, but no affect on the other 3--they just just move in their little jarring motion.

As I read through the forums, it seems like damaging the motors is hard, and there is not a lot of ways to do so. But these are behaving very strangely and not functioning. I've seen people elude to ESC problems as well.

I'm hoping you might have some suggestions, I can post video of the motor rotation problems for the three not working...

Thanks

Hi,
I have provided link to shot video illustrating the issue that I am having right now. Hoping someone might be able to offer some guidance. I'm not even sure what to consider right now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As you can see, I have normal rotation on one motor, but the other three are not even doing a full rotation. I have checked to ensure that the screws underneath are not affecting in any way, when I spin each motor with everything turned off, they spin freely and I hear no abnormal sounds or feel anything strange. This happened after a hard landing in which the P2 fell over and was laying on its side--two motors spinning, two were not. At the time, I had carbon fiber props on, which are not shown in this video.

Any help you can offer would be really appreciated.

Well motors can be tested visually by looking for damage, smelled for indication of excessive current (burnt smell), rotated by hand to check for friction, and the coils can be 'Ohmed' out for continuity and value comparison.

That's about all you can do to test the motors.

The ESCs are what is most often damaged from stalling or binding the props as you reported.

One way you can check is to swap the good motor to one of the other three locations to see if the problem persists or is corrected by the motor.

Best guess from here is you have three damaged ESCs due to the accident.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic