Motor/going bad? help please

Reaction score
When i spin my props by hand for a pre-flight check I felt one of the props felt like it had something rubbing / gritty /scratchy type feeling like sandpaper
The others were spinning freely . No error messages or other indications of motor going bad
Please reply on recommendations etc

Reactions: N017RW
Possibly one of the bearings going or got grit in it.
I would suggest you remove the props and start the motors and let them idle, not take-off power, for several minutes. Feel the shafts for overheating. Increase speed and repeat. If no signs of heating possibly a bit of dirt got in and came out although not likely as the bearings are "sealed".

Possibly one of the bearings going or got grit in it.
I would suggest you remove the props and start the motors and let them idle, not take-off power, for several minutes. Feel the shafts for overheating. Increase speed and repeat. If no signs of heating possibly a bit of dirt got in and came out although not likely as the bearings are "sealed".
Contrary to popular belief the bearings are shielded (not sealed). Sealed bearings would introduce unnecessary expense and contribute to frictional losses without a corresponding benefit in these small motors. It is possible some fine particles may have entered the bearings. It is more likely to be some contamination that is impeding the movement of the magnets on the rotor (in the gaps between the magnets and the stator poles).

I would be having a good look at the prop mounts. There have been instances where part of the mounting will break off and drop inside the motor. It should come out with gentle taping and movement with the drone inverted.

Same problem on my original P4. Checked my motors because of shaky take off. But if I left the motors warm up for 30 seconds, props rotating, no shake. With the props off, I spun the motors as fast as I could with one finger. Sure enough, one motor was noticeably louder than the other three. Have since purchased a replacement motor, but have not installed it, yet. Still flying, but I have others to use, until motor replacement. Also, I never heard any unusual noise, while running, with props on or off. And no error messages.

Thank you all i will be starting on checks etc I appreciate your response
Jim

Contrary to popular belief the bearings are shielded (not sealed).
Agree, I used the wrong terminology - shield not sealed - the ZZ suffix denotes this.
IMG_6487.jpg

These are more or less "sealed for life" bearings and due to the construction of the motor quite difficult to change out. Quite honestly far easier and not a lot more expensive to buy a replacement motor rather than fiddle around with the old one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.