Motor 1 Caused Minor Crash

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to drones. My wife bought me a Phantom 4 for Christmas, and since day 1 (today is day 3), I have felt that the front right motor would stumble. Even with this issue, I love my Phantom, I haven't had this much fun in a long time. So on the 1/1, I caught the stumble on video, and reported it to DJI. Customer service rep said not to worry and told me to calibrate the IMUs. I calibrated the IMUs and compass this morning, flew around for a bit and still noticed a little stumble every so often. This evening, I was attempting to capture the sunset, got everything ready, did a preflight, took off, and not 10 seconds after take off, and thankfully only a four feet up, the P4 stumbled to the right front and crashed. Nothing is really damaged, minus some minor scratches on the propellers, body and battery. I recovered the drone and brought everything back inside for inspection. I tested the motors with no props on and motor 1 sounds strange, like super whiny, and it's stumbling more than before. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Quick question. I suppose that testing the motor was as simple as removing all propellers and starting up the drone? Do you have the drone on a table or on the floor. Curious cause I want to test my motors. I think one is going bad.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Quick question. I suppose that testing the motor was as simple as removing all propellers and starting up the drone? Do you have the drone on a table or on the floor. Curious cause I want to test my motors. I think one is going bad.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yes, I tested them with no props on, while on the floor.

Under the prop mounts on the motor there are spring clips that push the prop up to secure the prop to the mounting clip, if these metal springs are over compressed and do not push the prop up tight to the clip the motor will sound rough. You can re-tension these by lifting (bending) them back up, the height is about 5/32 inch new. Lift them up with your finger nail up to the clip and that leaves them about right. Don't do this every flight as you will eventually weaken the metal, I do mine about every 15 flights or if they get too lose.

Under the prop mounts on the motor there are spring clips that push the prop up to secure the prop to the mounting clip, if these metal springs are over compressed and do not push the prop up tight to the clip the motor will sound rough. You can re-tension these by lifting (bending) them back up, the height is about 5/32 inch new. Lift them up with your finger nail up to the clip and that leaves them about right. Don't do this every flight as you will eventually weaken the metal, I do mine about every 15 flights or if they get too lose.
Thanks for your reply. I tested the motors with the props off, and motor 1 was still cutting out.

I would return it if you can or send in to dji for exchange or repair, if the motor is cutting out it could be ECM or a connection, could be the motor but usually they run or don't. Being this new a new one would be in order but with dji you never know.

I would return it if you can or send in to dji for exchange or repair, if the motor is cutting out it could be ECM or a connection, could be the motor but usually they run or don't. Being this new a new one would be in order but with dji you never know.
Thanks again! I've already started the process to send it in. Do they normally repair or replace? What's the turn around time? Do they ever try to screw over the customer?

The warranty states they have the right to repair or exchange for a refurbished unit but many have just received a brand new bird. In your case being a new bird I hope they send you a new one.

The warranty states they have the right to repair or exchange for a refurbished unit but many have just received a brand new bird. In your case being a new bird I hope they send you a new one.
I hope they send a new one too!

I'd return it for a refund if possible, and buy a new one. If you got it at COSTCO, this is easy.

My sympathies ;) That's where I got mine. 12/24, I decided to open it up and charge the batteries before wrapping it, and discovered I had one of the Intelligent Batteries that wouldn't charge. Ran back down to COSTCO at 5:45pm, returned it and immediately got the last one they had left. Story has a happy ending -- that one was good!

However, I pissed away the savings by putting it in a tree the day after Christmas, incurring another $200 to get it down. That's when I learned to be careful about the fact there is no OA sideways :)

UPDATE:

DJI repaired the P4 free of charge. They replaced motor 1, landing gear, and the top cover. I shipped it out on January 4th, and should be receiving it today or Monday. 17 or 19 calendar days depending on when it arrives. Can't wait to get it back.

upload_2017-1-21_9-4-10.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31