More range

Reaction score
Hi guys I have p3/a and I want to do way point flying done some around the gardens around me but get a bit nervous when going out of range is there anything I can get to give me more range or can anyone mod my handset for me to give me more range I'm in Hampshire UK.
I also way point in the park I always have people come and and ask questions about what I'm doing the public get really interested and I say that some pilots give us a bad name I've even let them have a go and always get positive feed back I think the public really don't mind drones now the press there something else they blame drones for everything if a plastic bag is in the air it's a drone
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Search the site, lots of info on options to extend range. Best bang for buck is a parabolic reflector (also known as a windsurfer), lots on Amazon/eBay for around £10

Reactions: N017RW
I brought something like that it opens a d slots over the antennas but doesn't see to help

Hmmmm.... I have used a windsurfer one the last decent day we had here and it was amazing. I find it odd that, unlike myself and '00's of others, you've not gained you any improvement. Its really important that the anntena are aimed accurately at the AC.

Last edited:
1479762169021.jpg

Yeah, you have the same issue as mine.
You'll note the antennas are slightly twisted and the windsurfer sails are bent slightly inwards? This is how to fix it...
Close the unit like a book, and keep the hinged edge, or spine if you like, down on the desk. Keeping the unit like this on its edge, turn the unit around til you have the wider of the two holes facing you; these are the ones that go down to the bottom of the antennas and they're the ones that need to be widened.
Then, using a round file, start filing downward towards the hinge to increase the width of these larger holes. Keep stopping regularly and check the fit of the windsurfer until it becomes a snug fit on the antennas, and keeps both "sails" perpendicular at 90 degrees.

I had the same model as you too, paid £9 for it from eBay. Same problem, they antenna didn't fit straight so got a refund from the seller and said I could keep the booster. As Numone mentioned, really easy to file down the offending hole to widen to allow a straight fit :)

I've been getting much better range with the booster, very directional so keep pointing at the AC.

I'll get on that when I get home I've seen people modify there controls I'm wondering if I could have someone do that for me absolutely shite at soldering lol

I think you should try again with the windsurfer. At my first and so far, only flight with the windsurfer, I got out to <9500' and I still had 100% signal. I was blown away.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic