Monument Valley

Nice, John. Better than most here. Still, some transitions were jerky and fades and dissolves would be better between clips.

Always amazed by what Mother Nature can accomplish. Still tons of that out there in the world that most wouldn’t see without our fly toys.
Thanks.

I loved it. I like the close shots and the angle of the shots. Really beautiful. Very well done. I was so engrossed with nature and seeing it from your eyes, I didn't notice anything else.

Reactions: DenMac
Nice to see the rocks up close & what a great place to fly.

Very nice video. Good piloting skills.
This place is on my bucket list.

A fascinating video of this beautiful landscape. Almost ideal for drone flying.
Isn't it a national park? Any issues about flying there?
I really like to be there once but it's almost on the other side of the globe.
What was your distance and altitude there?
Excellence again! One of the best videos.

Nice, John. Better than most here. Still, some transitions were jerky and fades and dissolves would be better between clips.
I was disappointed in the jerkiness too. It took some investigation, but I figured it out. For some reason my Resolve editor rendered at 24FPS when my M2Z source file was 29.97fps. Usually Resolve always asks me, and volunteers to match the source file FPS and resolution. But even though I told it to match my source file, it didn't for some reason. That's the first time that's happened, so maybe it was "pilot error". After I discovered the cause, I made a few more changes to my edits and made a new video that's much smoother. I also added dissolve transitions that you suggested. Sometimes I used dissolves, other times I don't, just depends on my mood. This version of the video you should like more, as the quality is way better, simply because it used matched source resolution and FPS for the render.

Reactions: DenMac
Very nice video. Good piloting skills.
This place is on my bucket list.
Yes, this place is an awesome target, absolutely a bucket list flight area. I waited 3yrs before I could manage to visit with my drone. My first visit was 8yrs ago, before I bought my first DJI drone. If you visit, plan to stay 2 or 3 days, because you may experience bad weather (rain, clouds, wind is common). I had one cloudy day, and it's just not the same as a sunny day with puffy clouds. On those bad days it's a good time to orient yourself with the area and make your flight plans, find your launch areas. Even though I combed this area for hours with Google satellite view, leading up to my trip there, I now know more things I want to do after visiting 3wks ago. Yes, I will be returning later this fall if Covid19 doesn't stop me.

Reactions: Martin Healy
Thanks for sharing the video. Nicely done and you saved me a trip there...lol... Nice work. What a spectacular place.

I was out there last year and a) yes, you can still drive the loop in the valley, and b) there were no drone signs all over, if I remember right. I had the drone with me, but didn't take the time to do the 'take-off from outside the park' thing. I also had a lot of land-based photography to do (spent the entire day in the valley).

Great footage!

Reactions: skeptic49
I was in Monument Valley earlier this month. I flew this from highway 163, about 4mi due north of the Indian reservation visitors center.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Looks like a good place to go for a few months on campout! I love videos like this great job!

A fascinating video of this beautiful landscape. Almost ideal for drone flying.
Isn't it a national park? Any issues about flying there?
I really like to be there once but it's almost on the other side of the globe.
What was your distance and altitude there?
Excellence again! One of the best videos.
It's not a national park, however when you enter the indian reserve visitor area in AZ they do have a NO DRONE ZONE sign clearly posted. So you cannot launch and retrieve from inside the visitor park, which is worth a half day to drive through the 17mi drive around the monuments in the back of the park. It's good to capture video from the car. As mentioned, I flew from hwy 163 from a turnout in Utah. The hard part of this flight is to stay within the FAA guidelines, always staying within 400' of land, horizontally or vertically. But it's doable if you don't forget through all the adrenaline. The monuments I flew were 1000 to 1100' above launch point, not too bad. It's truly a fun flight and I look forward to returning someday.

Reactions: MTO
Here's a view of the pull out I flew from on Hwy 163, with Setting Hen in the background.

1585110452144.png

Reactions: Bernie C
I was disappointed in the jerkiness too. It took some investigation, but I figured it out. For some reason my Resolve editor rendered at 24FPS when my M2Z source file was 29.97fps. Usually Resolve always asks me, and volunteers to match the source file FPS and resolution. But even though I told it to match my source file, it didn't for some reason. That's the first time that's happened, so maybe it was "pilot error". After I discovered the cause, I made a few more changes to my edits and made a new video that's much smoother. I also added dissolve transitions that you suggested. Sometimes I used dissolves, other times I don't, just depends on my mood. This version of the video you should like more, as the quality is way better, simply because it used matched source resolution and FPS for the render.
Well done - some really beautiful video. I watched both version in awe. Thank you for sharing. I would be tempted to run some of the sequences at 2x or 3x original frame rate. I would also suggest that a few of the sequences would be improved by reversing the footage in post so that in stead of flying slowly towards and through a rock formation the viewer is surprised as you appear to fly backwards through the formation as it is revealed. Again, beautiful and many thanks.
All the best, Martin

Nice job. Flying through Sitting Hen and through King on His Throne were both very cool. Looks like you launched from the same location as I did.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic