Monument Valley in 4K

Reaction score
Another video (3rd of probably a dozen) from the flying I did on my roundtrip up to Oregon to catch the solar eclipse. This video is from a few flights I did from the edge of Monument Valley after photographing a great sunrise there.

That's an excellent video. You said you were on the edge of the valley. Are you saying you launched all those flights from outside of the Navajo reservation? If yes, were you launching from the highway on the north side?

I'm asking because this is a target POI I'd like to fly next time I'm in that area.

Reactions: azgeek
Are you saying you launched all those flights from outside of the Navajo reservation? If yes, were you launching from the highway on the north side?

Thanks John. To the best of my knowledge, all of Monument Valley is within the Navajo Nation right along the Utah / Arizona border. I had heard that drones were prohibited at the more popular viewing areas (ie, the Mittens near The View hotel) so I didn't even bother going there. You are correct that I instead flew from just off Hwy 163. There are a couple of small airports in that area and where I flew was within the 5 mile radius of the the Monument Valley airport. I called and left a message before my flight. PM me and I'll send you a map of where I launched/landed.

Thanks John. To the best of my knowledge, all of Monument Valley is within the Navajo Nation right along the Utah / Arizona border. I had heard that drones were prohibited at the more popular viewing areas (ie, the Mittens near The View hotel) so I didn't even bother going there. You are correct that I instead flew from just off Hwy 163. There are a couple of small airports in that area and where I flew was within the 5 mile radius of the the Monument Valley airport. I called and left a message before my flight. PM me and I'll send you a map of where I launched/landed.
So here it is 2yrs later. I finally got out to Monument Valley earlier this month. I took your lead and launched from Hwy163. I got lucky with good weather on the second day there. We camped nearby at the KOA near the entrance of the visitor center. HERE it is in a new thread. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: azgeek
So here it is 2yrs later. I finally got out to Monument Valley earlier this month. I took your lead and launched from Hwy163. I got lucky with good weather on the second day there. We camped nearby at the KOA near the entrance of the visitor center. HERE it is in a new thread. Thanks for the tip.
Nice job. Flying through Sitting Hen and through King on His Throne were both very cool. Looks like you launched from the same location as I did.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik