Modified phanvic kit...

Reaction score
Wanted to share my modded phanvic kit with you all. I’m an addicted for building quads and once I flew a phantom I pretty much sold all my diy drone pieces. I found a super cheap P3P and wanted to do the phanvic kit on it. With weight being an issue with it I decided to give this a try. The kit is built incredibly strong so I started drilling tons of holes to save weight and hoping to help with battery temps as well.

I ended up saving a lot of weight and when compared to a stock P3p. It now only weighs 80 more grams. I’ll definitely take that weight for the convenience of it fitting in my camera bag now.

First major flight I took it on I was getting horrible signal so I’ve pulled the antennae out of the arms and have them held with small rubber bands on the arms at the same angle as stock.

I also added the stock leds to the outside and painted the bottom black which improved the visibility by way more than I ever thought when looking up at it against the white props.

It flies great and folds up so nicely that my urges to buy cheap Mavics has subsided.

On to the pics...

Attachments

• 4DC79225-F6F3-4DC0-A7BD-5AC99FC66648.jpeg
    4DC79225-F6F3-4DC0-A7BD-5AC99FC66648.jpeg
    543.4 KB · Views: 1,601
  • 7A2DC6E0-FBEA-467E-967B-CBB54A4F6EFA.jpeg
    7A2DC6E0-FBEA-467E-967B-CBB54A4F6EFA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,086
  • FA65AE79-124E-4C6C-A481-DF7587BA9BF8.jpeg
    FA65AE79-124E-4C6C-A481-DF7587BA9BF8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 877
  • 0A6B7BC5-2BBA-4B60-AF98-61285B4D6D0E.jpeg
    0A6B7BC5-2BBA-4B60-AF98-61285B4D6D0E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 911
  • 2EC1200F-16D4-4A8F-B685-EA166D62ED9E.jpeg
    2EC1200F-16D4-4A8F-B685-EA166D62ED9E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 871
Good job

Yep, nice job and neatly done.

Out of interest how much did the drilling lighten the top cover by? Did you weigh it before and after or weigh the drill shavings to get any idea?

Yep, nice job and neatly done.

Out of interest how much did the drilling lighten the top cover by? Did you weigh it before and after or weigh the drill shavings to get any idea?
No I dont own any accurate scale. So I waited til a fellow buddy with a super accurate scale was available because I knew it wouldn’t be kind blowing difference. But I would say that maybe 40 grams of weight from just the top. But you can see I drilled pretty much everywhere I could of the bottom. The top plastic is so thick that it caught a couple times and tore it up.

Not sure about temps yet because the video feed got messed up before a long distance check could be done. But I dremeled all over the battery area so there should be great airflow around it. And honestly it still feel like I could take out another 80 grams without affecting strength. This thing is a tank.

I’m still getting signal strength errors even with the antennae externally mounted so there must just be weird stuff around my house or something.

Reactions: spectra9
Wanted to share my modded phanvic kit with you all. I’m an addicted for building quads and once I flew a phantom I pretty much sold all my diy drone pieces. I found a super cheap P3P and wanted to do the phanvic kit on it. With weight being an issue with it I decided to give this a try. The kit is built incredibly strong so I started drilling tons of holes to save weight and hoping to help with battery temps as well.

I ended up saving a lot of weight and when compared to a stock P3p. It now only weighs 80 more grams. I’ll definitely take that weight for the convenience of it fitting in my camera bag now.

First major flight I took it on I was getting horrible signal so I’ve pulled the antennae out of the arms and have them held with small rubber bands on the arms at the same angle as stock.

I also added the stock leds to the outside and painted the bottom black which improved the visibility by way more than I ever thought when looking up at it against the white props.

It flies great and folds up so nicely that my urges to buy cheap Mavics has subsided.

On to the pics...

On to the pics...

I liked your idea to decrease weight on the phanvic at the same time cooling the battery. I did my own mod of the Phanvic mod. I increased the light weight to 264 g. even after adding Navigation lights and two 3.7 volts batteries. here is the link to my videos. I had purchased several Phanvics to keep in my arsenal. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5318.JPG
    IMG_5318.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 355
  • IMG_5319.JPG
    IMG_5319.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_5320.JPG
    IMG_5320.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 319
  • IMG_5321.JPG
    IMG_5321.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_5323.JPG
    IMG_5323.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 325
  • IMG_5325.JPG
    IMG_5325.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 304
  • IMG_5328.JPG
    IMG_5328.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 310
  • IMG_5329.JPG
    IMG_5329.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 311
  • IMG_5330.JPG
    IMG_5330.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_5331.JPG
    IMG_5331.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 287
I liked your idea to decrease weight on the phanvic at the same time cooling the battery. I did my own mod of the Phanvic mod. I increased the light weight to 264 g. even after adding Navigation lights and two 3.7 volts batteries. here is the link to my videos. I had purchased several Phanvics to keep in my arsenal. :)

That's a bit less precise in drilling than others (not just this type of drone) that I have seen in the past and the slightly less uniformity might well introduce inherently weak spots which are more prone to failure.

Thanks for sharing nonetheless - and happy flying!

Reactions: brigerdrones
Actually didn’t affect as having weakness on the fuselage as this shells are slightly ticker than the regular phantoms. Have not crashed my phanvics yet......
To find out if this is true.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair