Minimum footprint for landing pad ?

Reaction score
Wondering what would be the minimum footprint for a landing pad (Phantom 4P) to keep it safe and clean from debris and dust during take off?
Most of the off the shelf landing pads are around 40 inches diameter.
But I'm suspecting I could get away with something smaller.
Any ideas ? Have anyone done any test about this ?
Thanks.

Wondering what would be the minimum footprint for a landing pad (Phantom 4P) to keep it safe and clean from debris and dust during take off?
Thanks.

Wow..I don't use one but I wasn't aware they were that large. It does seem quite big. I would think 24" would be enough. Clearly I'm missing something.

Reactions: Rick218
i have used my the backback i have for my phantom 4 for a landing and take off pad,, and its not much bigger then the drone itself

My colleague lands his P4P manually on a space about the size of SeattleDrone's backpack, but when he relies on RTH, the landing can diverge from the takeoff point by as much as 2 meters. Where there is sand or dust, I hand catch for him.

Thanks.

I used this one for my P4P, it's easier to carry

If the ground isn't good enough for take off then I use the original Phantoms box which is just enough for take off and it is ideal for take off in high grass and you have it always with you - no additional thing to carry. When I finish the flight usually I do hand catch. This is more attractive for eventual bystanders as well. Sometimes, just for fun, I land on the box but it takes too much time/battery.
You can use a medium sized stiff dial from wall clock also. If Phantoms legs fit into the dial circle that is just enough. If there is some dust around the pad probably it will be blown away when you start motors.

Thanks.

We have made Custom Lunar Pads for the Phantom 4 even though it was designed for the Mavic drones it does work with the Phantom .
You can get it with out the built in case: But we recommend at least keeping the 1 Strap. Something to consider

Works well if you own both the Phantom and the Mavic Series drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
We have made Custom Lunar Pads for the Phantom 4 even though it was designed for the Mavic drones it does work with the Phantom .
You can get it with out the built in case: But we recommend at least keeping the 1 Strap. Something to consider

Works well if you own both the Phantom and the Mavic Series drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seems to be a cool thing and I don’t know it’s design really but seems like if you don’t hold it really stable a Phantom could tilt or slide off.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Not really designed for that , but makes for a nice size ground pad with no worries of the wind blowing it around.

not designed for what? Is it not meant to be held the way the video shows? Perhaps I’m misinterpreting it.

The Lunar Pad was designed for the Mavic Series Drones but we found ourselves using if for the Phantom 4 as the Pad worked well as a ground Pad .
We were able to hand catch it with the lunar pad but it was not as stable as the Mavic it required more focus but it worked.

FREE:
Unused unfolded FedEx box.
Even smaller: unused FedEx or UPS or USPS priority envelope.
Put something flat inside to add weight
& prevent pad being blown around whilst landing

Reactions: Phantom Pirate
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
Living on the farm,
Kind of went crazy with the pad but don't have to take it anywhere, have a smaller one for travel.....

Ok, thanks for your comments.
I ended up doing a test to find the minimum size.
I cut a chair mat to 27"x27" and that worked on a wet lawn, my P4P came out dry and clean as a bone.
My concern is only during take off since I almost always can do hand catch landing.
For pad landing I'd probably need to doble the mat size since is hard to land on the very center consistently.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31