Minimum dBm for P3S

Reaction score
So what signal strength should we shoot for? I'm getting -30 dBm standing in front of my RC. I'm guessing -90 is not going to work at all.

Is there a sweet spot? I think my signal is getting beat up. I'm taking a wifi analyzer with me next time. Does anyone know of another app that could detect interference?

Last edited:
I'd be interested in knowing this as well. What are you using to determine your dBm I have a buddy that has a lot of radio gear to measure signal strength and output was going to see if he could use any of it on my drone

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. What are you using to determine your dBm I have a buddy that has a lot of radio gear to measure signal strength and output was going to see if he could use any of it on my drone

Lately I've encountered a few unintentional RTH at close range. I'm thinking maybe my installation is flawed so I wanted to test the signal against my stock RC. It's an app called wi-fi analyzer (keuwlsoft). Lots of them out there. I tried setting the RC on my front porch, then walked down the street as far as I could. Noticeable difference in signal strength between the Itelite and stock. I think my installation is OK. I went as far as I could and it never dipped below -74.

Couple comments:
1. RTH doesn't get triggered by loss of the 2.4GHz signal (video/telemetry), only by loss of 5.8Ghz signal (control). So if you're trying to diagnose unintentional RTHs, you can't use a WiFi analyzer for that.
2. It's very possible that the P3S - and I say this because the Icarus app provides this option - is capable of adjusting the 2.4GHz transmitting power, based on signal strength. So if you simply tested the WiFi of the RC without it being connected to the AC (and with the AC far away), you might not seen its maximum power. As a matter of fact, it would be very interesting if you could measure the WiFi signal under 3 conditions: RC only, RC + AC at close distance, RC + AC at long distance.

[EDITED: typed RC instead of AC in a couple places, corrected now]

Last edited:
Couple comments:
1. RTH doesn't get triggered by loss of the 2.4GHz signal (video/telemetry), only by loss of 5.8Ghz signal (control). So if you're trying to diagnose unintentional RTHs, you can't use a WiFi analyzer for that.
2. It's very possible that the P3S - and I say this because the Icarus app provides this option - is capable of adjusting the 2.4GHz transmitting power, based on signal strength. So if you simply tested the WiFi of the RC without it being connected to the RC (and with the RC far away), you might not seen its maximum power. As a matter of fact, it would be very interesting if you could measure the WiFi signal under 3 conditions: RC only, RC + AC at close distance, RC + AC at long distance.

Very interesting, Thank you! I may try that this weekend if it doesn't rain.

Very interesting, Thank you! I may try that this weekend if it doesn't rain.

Follow-up: I placed everything in the same room, powered up the P3S and the signal strength did improve. As you pointed out, it is the 2.4 video signal I'm reading. I would think the 5.8 would show up. Meanwhile, as I sit, it disconnects and reconnects going from Ready to Go (GPS) to Weak to Disconnected.

I wonder changing tablets will make a difference? Gonna try my ASUS ZenPad tomorrow.

Reactions: epicdoom
The 5.8GHz is definitely there, but your WiFi analyzer won't detect it, as it's not a WiFi. As for testing, it's better to do it outside of the house, away from your - I suppose - home WiFi.

Reactions: epicdoom
I was of the understanding that the 5.8 ghz signal was the video feed. Video feed failure should'nt give you a RTH trigger.

I was of the understanding that the 5.8 ghz signal was the video feed. Video feed failure should'nt give you a RTH trigger.

5.8 is the radio control signal on the Phantom 3 Standard. Took the same set-up out on Sunday to a different location and flew out to 500 feet with zero issues. Used the same NVIDIA Shield tablet only this time I deployed the built in screen recorder so I could analyze the data I can never see because I'm so focused on the AC. The wi-fi lost one bar, however, the radio control remained solid and lost no bars which I would expect using a DBS. I'm fairly confident the lost signals in other locations were interference or a poorly aimed DBS on my part.

I'm just now reading other discussions regrading the new CrystalSky device from DJI is causing interference and lost signals. DJI acknowledges the issue and says their engineers are looking into it. Makes me wonder if my ASUS or NVIDIA tablets can have an effect on a PS3 RC.

For now all is back to normal and my confidence has been restored. Next week, 600 feet? Wowzers!

I'm still having issues as Im only getting out short distances. I was maxing out to 500 ft with a good line of site (stock aerials) and getting a RTH. I ordered what I thought was an ARGtek antenna package from eBay but after doing the upgrade got even shorter distances 390 ft with lots of drop outs. Tried changing the angle of the antenna's double checked my connections , finally just replaced the 2.4 GHz panel antennas with some 7db omni's that I had lying around and my drop outs quit and I'm out to 679 ft distance. None of that makes any sense if the RC works at 5.8 GHz. I havent made a change to the 5.8 aerial BTW. I just did the Magic update and turned the db up to 27 for both sets of aerials. Its nice to be able to telnet into the bird and check for info......everything's working. BTW the antennas I ordered weren't ARG they were some kind of knockoff. I paid 54.00. Oh yea I'm using Litchi.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl