Military Helicopters

Reaction score
Recently I was flying well outside of any NFZ at about 390ft. I had my wife observing with me. We began to hear an approaching bird but couldn't determine its location based on sound. I immediately began a descent, and about the time I reached 200ft a Blackhawk screamed overhead at what looked like no more than 350ft. I continued my descent down to a 4ft hover to allow it to clear the airspace, only to have it orbit around for a second pass, this time almost directly over my location (obviously I immediately landed and suspended flight). I'm nowhere near a military installation and this is not a normal occurrence in my area. The pilot almost seemed to make the second pass over me out of curiosity. Anyone else had a military bird scream over at very low altitude with little to no time to react? I would have been very easy for him to see on the second pass, as we were in a HUGE open field. I could determine no other cause for his second pass other than our flight because he immediately resumed heading after the flight over us.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should have waved your hands to greet him in such cases. Things are taken lightly and he will understand you know the rules and not shying away.

We definitely waved. I could almost see the pilot through the windshield glare on the cockpit.

They fly NOE ("Nap of the Earth") for most scenarios, and that may have been what they were doing. At Fort Campbell, that is all they fly about 95% of the time. Usually, there is an NOTAM (Notice to Airman) for remote control usage around a base. But it doesn't sound like you are anywhere close to that.

Yea based on his heading he may have been on the way to Shaw AFB about 40mi away. Just a guess though.

I have an itch to scratch, by flying over an army supply yard and warehouse. There are all these cool green camo' vehicles parked behind the wire... I want to make a short video from that vantage point. ;-)

Yes, I will probably ask for permission first. Stupid not to...

RedHotPoker

I live on the Outer Banks of NC and I see military aircraft flying over the beach at altitudes of 100-200ft AGL almost daily. The other day, just about an hour after someone was filming some surfers with a phantom, a group of black hawks flew by extremely low, somewhere around 50-100 feet. I know most of these military aircraft have sophisticated systems that detect other aircraft, but I'm not sure if they can detect a tiny little quad copter.

I have an itch to scratch, by flying over an army supply yard and warehouse. There are all these cool green camo' vehicles parked behind the wire... I want to make a short video from that vantage point. ;-)

Yes, I will probably ask for permission first. Stupid not to...

RedHotPoker
Don't expect to get approval. All military installations are off limits and should be a restricted area. I know at Offutt AFB, there is a GPS jamming device. It is also an alternate location for Air Force One, but any GPS there doesn't work which is not part of their military software. I would not venture flying over an installation with all the terrorism precautions occurring around military posts.

I live on the Outer Banks of NC and I see military aircraft flying over the beach at altitudes of 100-200ft AGL almost daily. The other day, just about an hour after someone was filming some surfers with a phantom, a group of black hawks flew by extremely low, somewhere around 50-100 feet. I know most of these military aircraft have sophisticated systems that detect other aircraft, but I'm not sure if they can detect a tiny little quad copter.
The thing is...
Did you see a pilot, to wave at? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Don't expect to get approval. All military installations are off limits and should be a restricted area. I know at Offutt AFB, there is a GPS jamming device. It is also an alternate location for Air Force One, but any GPS there doesn't work which is not part of their military software. I would not venture flying over an installation with all the terrorism precautions occurring around military posts.
I am RYding a green and black SpYder, so atleast I'm already flying the right colors. Haha
Heck I may even show up in full camo myself... Blend in all stealthy an' SH!T!! Wearing a huge grin too. As Always anyway.

Funny the best hobby shop in town, is less than a block from that awesome green yard... And and and. . .
It's got to be done.

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl