Military Airspace Clearance

Reaction score
Anybody ever request clearance to fly in restricted military airspace? Was the process cumbersome? Is there even a chance of getting clearance? What do I say/not say when I ask? Thanks. Got a job in the Mojave Desert coming up and it’s smack dab in the middle of Edwards airspace.

Thanks.

With the prevailing attitude that everything might be a terrorist threat, I find it unlikely that getting clearance is going to happen. Especially at Edwards AFB. However, there's no harm in trying. I recently read an article that bases are cracking down on drone overflights. I haven't checked the section maps so I don't know how far out you would have to drive to be clear of their airspace.

I live in class D airspace near Scott AFB IL. Although I have a part 107 certificate I frequently make hobby flights in the area. Up until recently all I needed to do was call the ATC and advise them of my flight. They would take my phone number and tell me to call when done. Last week I called and their response was to call the FAA. After a few phone calls I was able to contact the NCOIC of the ATC and according to him the Air Force recently sent out a new directive to all bases instructing them to tell all drone pilots to contact the FAA for approval. This is a problem since it is not what the FAA has on its web site. I understand for authorization when flying under part 107 I have to submit a request for authorization thru the FAA portal, but for a hobby flight the FAA instructions say call the ATC.

I live in class D airspace near Scott AFB IL. Although I have a part 107 certificate I frequently make hobby flights in the area. Up until recently all I needed to do was call the ATC and advise them of my flight. They would take my phone number and tell me to call when done. Last week I called and their response was to call the FAA. After a few phone calls I was able to contact the NCOIC of the ATC and according to him the Air Force recently sent out a new directive to all bases instructing them to tell all drone pilots to contact the FAA for approval. This is a problem since it is not what the FAA has on its web site. I understand for authorization when flying under part 107 I have to submit a request for authorization thru the FAA portal, but for a hobby flight the FAA instructions say call the ATC.

I'd put a call in to your local FSDO and request that whatever they expect you to do to get it in writing.

Hi I'm also planning a flight in special use airspace on Oahu (R3110A Schofield - Makua) and can't figure out who the contact is. Anyone have guidance on this? This large area of airspace on Oahu has been a major barrier for environmental UAV work.

Hi I'm also planning a flight in special use airspace on Oahu (R3110A Schofield - Makua) and can't figure out who the contact is. Anyone have guidance on this? This large area of airspace on Oahu has been a major barrier for environmental UAV work.

Read my post right above yours. ^^^^^^

The controlling agency for each Restricted Area is noted in the margin of the sectional chart. You could also call FSS and ask them. They'd be happy to provide you with the information. And remember that, if an RA is cold, it doesn't exist. No permission/authorization required.

If you're referring to a MOA (Military Operations Area), no permission/authorization is required (although you should become familiar with the type of operations that are conducted). You can also call FSS at any time and find out if a MOA is hot or cold.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94