Measuring Roofs

Reaction score
Anyone know of a way to measure an area accurately with a drone? Specifically a roof. I'm using a Phantom. Sure there's an app for that, one for everything else.....right?

Anyone know of a way to measure an area accurately with a drone? Specifically a roof. I'm using a Phantom. Sure there's an app for that, one for everything else.....right?
It's a bit complicated for the average user but I fly a Dronedeploy mission to create an orthophoto which I output to Google Earth Pro and use the measuring tools there.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
drone deploy has a in app add on service that you flit the roof send them the pictures and they send you a report back with all the detail. They charge like $30 but first one is free. I thought this would be a good service to sell to roofers. However I found quickly most roofers use a web service to get all measurements generated much cheaper than the time and effort it would take to fly the mission, so that’s not much a service that could be sold.

drone deploy has a in app add on service that you flit the roof send them the pictures and they send you a report back with all the detail. They charge like $30 but first one is free. I thought this would be a good service to sell to roofers. However I found quickly most roofers use a web service to get all measurements generated much cheaper than the time and effort it would take to fly the mission, so that’s not much a service that could be sold.

Yes it's called EagleEye or something like that. I'm in the "construction" industry and it's used very often and very cheap. Also it can give more than just roof area which is a plus for them and a negative for us.

Reactions: btrussell
Dronedeploy supports 2d area and length measurements using annotations. Accuracy on smaller areas using the free version might be a issue depending on the demands. For 3D measurements such as tilted roof, several desktop tools are available but a cheap workflow is not easy though possible. Have a look at cloudcompare as a start.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers