Maxx UAV - Secret Battery Mod!

Thanks for looking it up. I really wasn't questioning the legitimacy of 50 minutes on the P3, but the methodology, since the P3 extreme flyers have been at it longer, and can turn off the VPS, and then strap giant brick batteries underneath the VPS, or actually remove the VPS unit to save weight. If he is using two external Venom 4000 mAh batteries flying in a tight circle, it is a credence to the P3 motors that it can support such weight. Lift tests with the P4 indicate that it cannot lift as much as a P3. Flying in a relatively tight circle is how I achieved my own only 25 minute flight time on my P4 stock battery. Several others have used Venom 5600 mAh bricks under P3's for 40 minute flight times, and the extra weight makes the aircraft very unstable and likely to tip over on launch or landing, and flip over in the air in tight maneuvers. Flying in a tight circle for a record flight time sounds like the best way to avoid instability with excessive weight, while using that extra weight to maximize flight time. Regardless, these are extreme measures to achieve extreme results, and not realistic expectations for normal flying, of which my own flights are more representative. My 18 minute P4 flights are now 27 minutes with externals, which, with the faster speed of the P4, works great, to cover 12+ miles with ease in a single flight! :cool:
When I was first testing, I was getting 25 and 24 but didn't want to run my bats down. I generally don't like to run them below 20%. I would fly, when testing, around 200 feet to thin the air a little and not record video and orherwise fly normally.

But my first P4 got routinely past 23 and often 25 but not my second which got 22 before.

What about changing the motors with better performing or more powerful ones to balance the wight add?

W la figa

Bigger motors need bigger power. Really the best solution is to lighten the entire bird somehow. Same battery performance with less weight is best

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I wonder if more "efficent" motors or a bit bigger would anyway help. Usually the bigger the drones the bugger the motors the longer the flight times. Un this case switching to bigger motors would not add more weight. I am quite sure it could improve the flight times. Also because, when a motor is in its "efficiency range", the energy it use is way less then when it goes outside the range. So using bigger motors I think could help the drone to fly more stable (similar to stock) and to not overload the motors. Anyone knows what motors can the stock escs handle?

W la figa

So you have two 2800mah externals? Is that the biggest you have tried? I assume any more weight than that you start diminishing returns for power to weight?

Yes, specifically the MaxAmps 2800 mAh's, because they provide most mAh per gram of battery weight, at only 245g each. I wanted as much power as possible, so using lower mAh didn't make sense, as the weight savings was insignificant, compared to the power loss, and anything more than 500g total affects the handling of the bird. @UnknownCaller, who holds the P4 distance record on Jake's leaderboard, was also using the same 2800 MaxAmps when he first got his P4 for his first records, which validated my choice for me, as he really knows his stuff! Messing with LiHV's to squeeze out a few extra percent creates its own set of problems on the P4, as the P4 battery cells are only 4.33V, not 4.35V, so an external at 4.35V starts charging the internal P4 battery, causing it to shutoff, so they have to be bled off, and that takes time before you can launch! The MaxAmps are regular Lipos, so no issues there. Turn on the main P4 battery, hook up the externals, and launch, as soon as the Home Point is set! Disconnect the externals first, before shutting off the P4 battery, after landing. Easy!

Reactions: miamijato
Some have also used specialized carbon fiber props, in an effort to get more efficiency. The softer P3 props benefit more from CF prop replacement than the stiffer P4 props, so most are still using stock P4 props.

Fortunately, speculation about what is possible is not necessary. All those with a birdside P4 battery mod have already done all the testing necessary over the last 4 months, which is fully transferable to Jake's P4 mod, after adjustments are made for the additional weight his mod adds, over the birdside battery mod. As Jake points out, best results with standard LiPo's are obtained with MaxAmp Lipo's with the 2800 mAh being the largest usable, at 245g each. I have been using them since May, and I get 27 minutes instead of 18 minutes by using them, flying the same way in P mode with OA off at 31-33 mph. The dual D100 charger at $120 is the standard for simultaneously charging both external batteries at once, in under an hour, roughly the same time as charging the internal P4 battery. When a 50% increase is the best possible, even using DJI's ridiculously unobtainable 28 minute P4 flight time, a 50% increase is only 42 minutes, not 50 minutes. YMMV. :cool:

I get about 20 minutes out of a standard Phantom 4 battery flying in P mode with the obstacle avoidance on and land with just over 20% left.

I get about 20 minutes out of a standard Phantom 4 battery flying in P mode with the obstacle avoidance on and land with just over 20% left.
Then, realistically, if you make the full investment of $400 or so for one set of 2800 mAh MaxAmp externals, a D100 charger, and Jake's mod, you can expect up to 30 minutes. Well worth it, IMHO! :cool:

The motors will have a design load or mean power output. Of course heavy manoeuvring will cause this to increase but only during the manoeuvre. A mod that makes the UAV heavier will for sure put increased demands on the motors, props and motor mounts all of the time. Do you think that long term a failure might be caused?

The motors will have a design load or mean power output. Of course heavy manoeuvring will cause this to increase but only during the manoeuvre. A mod that makes the UAV heavier will for sure put increased demands on the motors, props and motor mounts all of the time. Do you think that long term a failure might be caused?
The mod itself is only marginally increasing the weight. The external batteries you use with the mod are your choice. Lighter ones will add less additional flight time, while heavier ones will add more, within the specified parameters above. If you are concerned, use lighter ones, and be happy with an additional 25% flight time instead of 50%. Lighter, less powerful externals are also cheaper. 1600 mAh Turnigy nano-tech externals are about $20 each, instead of $85 each for the bigger MaxAmp 2800 mAh's.

Last edited:
Gadget Guy, I've been looking for a DIY, to see what FPV did your bird. I've looked at a teardown, and it looks like a pretty straightforward deal?

Two XT connectors, long wires etc. solder to the two red and black wires on both sides of the stock battery plug? Drill two holes and viola! Probably $10 in parts, and $1300 of dangerous fun?

What do you think? I'm thinking about trying... Thoughts?

By the way, you are making me feel insecure about how I use italics!

I want to try 2 x 600 gram 4,000 Mah battery! I don't care if it wrecks... It's had a good life. Go big or go home... I want to see how far my unboosted antenna will actually go.

Also, I'm starting to think that the MAXXUAV mod is freaking amazing for two small batteries, but if you want to do anything bigger, you're gonna need those few grams the BatteryCondom weighs! I've trademarked the name"PhantomBatteryCondom" in case Jake has to have it!

Bigger motors need bigger power. Really the best solution is to lighten the entire bird somehow. Same battery performance with less weight is best

It's really surprising that somebody hasn't put the 4 on a carbon fiber X platform by now. If they have, I haven't seen it. I'm equally surprised that some entrapeneuring manufacturer hasn't released something commercial. Again, maybe that's out there too but I haven't seen it. Granted, I haven't gone looking for it either.

Gadget Guy, I've been looking for a DIY, to see what FPV did your bird. I've looked at a teardown, and it looks like a pretty straightforward deal?

Two XT connectors, long wires etc. solder to the two red and black wires on both sides of the stock battery plug? Drill two holes and viola! Probably $10 in parts, and $1300 of dangerous fun?

What do you think? I'm thinking about trying... Thoughts?

By the way, you are making me feel insecure about how I use italics!

From what I have understood, cracking open the P4 for the mod, and putting it back together is a royal pain in the a** (unlike the P3), and those that did it themselves did not want to ever do it again, even for money, which is why it took several months for anyone to step forward and offer it as a service for money. The mod, once inside, is fairly simple. I was happy to pay someone I trusted $200 to do it right, especially since it was also voiding the warranty on a new, relatively untested aircraft. The biggest challenge was making sure the P4 aircraft I was modding was a good one, after my first defective P4. Once I made Jake's leaderboard with my 30,590 foot flight away, I sent it out for the battery mod! If you are looking for really dangerous fun, fly the P4 out 30,600 feet away, without the battery mod, and try and make it back home! :eek: If you succeed, you'll beat me! Yes, I do like my italics! :cool:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT