Maximum Range (Radius) and Altitude

Reaction score
Hi All
Finally took delivery of the new P4 (delayed because of attempted freight rip off by Helipal - but that's another story).
Spent a fair bit of time with the software which anyone would have to agree is pretty comprehensive. One surprise with the software, which was verified in actual flight, is the 500M limit imposed on both altitude and radius of flight. Sure enough when I took the bird across country it (figuratively) hit a wall at 500M and no further could I go!
I got a brief message on the screen which I think mentioned something about adjusting the limits somewhere.
So is there a work around to extend these limits! 500M is restrictive for some of the projects planned.
Would the same limits apply if using the (Litchie?) software that I've seen mentioned in these pages?
All comments/advice appreciated as always!

Reactions: normr
Great advice that can't be argued with! But really doesn't help with my question about range..

You can adjust the limits in the DJI GO app. Have a look in the "Main Controller Settings" There is, in fact a vertical limit which is 500M. There is no work around for that. You are probably in beginners mode which, I believe, is on by default. As far as distance, you'll be able to set that to a distance of your choosing or turn it off completely and fly as far as conditions allow. These conditions include battery power available, radio signal strength, environment and winds to name a few. The specs say 3.1 miles which I have achieved and more. Reaching that distance is up for debate, however. I'd give the app a good look over and definitely read the manual. There is a wealth of information there. Here's a screen shot of what you're looking for.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1470309184.278812.jpg

Yeah, there is a setting in the DJI GO app do limiting distance - you can turn that off. My bird did not have that set upon delivery, but after the firmware update, I was surprised to discover I was limited to 50 feet. The altitude however you are limited and there is no setting tu dial that up.

NoCo Drones

He's not in beginner mode.

To answer your question OP, yes, the setting you set for flight limitations will carry over to the Litchi app.

Reactions: cfd701
Carl1770, here's the setting you need to disable in DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Maximum-Distance.png

Thanks so much guys. Yep, just unchecked the "enable max distance" button and the lateral distance limiting box disappeared. Just confused by the altitude box above which as you say is locked at 500M. I reckon that's going to be much less an issue than a 500M limit on distance! So back to the manual!
Because I live in a "bush" or forested area, I've invested in a Marco Polo Tracker, (after losing a P3!). I'm trialling a top mounted housing that I've made and it's working well so far. No prop or performance interference that I can tell and it sure offers a lot of peace of mind!
Thanks again all !

Attachments

• Tracker Housing.jpg
    Tracker Housing.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 524
Thanks so much guys. Yep, just unchecked the "enable max distance" button and the lateral distance limiting box disappeared. Just confused by the altitude box above which as you say is locked at 500M. I reckon that's going to be much less an issue than a 500M limit on distance! So back to the manual!
Because I live in a "bush" or forested area, I've invested in a Marco Polo Tracker, (after losing a P3!). I'm trialling a top mounted housing that I've made and it's working well so far. No prop or performance interference that I can tell and it sure offers a lot of peace of mind!
Thanks again all !

Take care to not obstruct your GPS with the housing and Tracker

Thanks again all !
Just so you know the 500m altitude limit is all you are going to get. You are not allowed to fly over 400 feet in the U.S. anyways , so I would advise not to test the limits unless you are far away from any airport.

I would not place the tracker on top of the P4 as the gps receivers for the quad are directly under the shell. You can get a carrier for your tracker on amazon that mounts using the screws that fasten the landing gear to the shell, no mod to you bird needed. I got mine at gimbal-guard.com

Thanks again all !
As posted, the altitude limit for the P4 is a hard 500m. However the 400ft FAA limit is AGL. If you need the extra altitude to reach a mountain ridge or some such thing, it can be done. You need to build a hypobaric chamber to initialize your home point in. If you cannot take the bird to the altitude, bring the altitude to the bird. All you need is a vacuum pump and a chamber big enough to hold the bird with props spinning. I built a jerry rigged one using an upright vacuum cleaner as the pump and I got an extra 170m out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlashBuddy
As posted, the altitude limit for the P4 is a hard 500m. However the 400ft FAA limit is AGL. If you need the extra altitude to reach a mountain ridge or some such thing, it can be done. You need to build a hypobaric chamber to initialize your home point in. If you cannot take the bird to the altitude, bring the altitude to the bird. All you need is a vacuum pump and a chamber big enough to hold the bird with props spinning. I built a jerry rigged one using an upright vacuum cleaner as the pump and I got an extra 170m out of it.
We should hang out.

NoCo Drones

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31