Maximum GPS Error = FLYAWAY?

aartsf said:
robinb said:
Remember to switch to ATTI mode if you start to get a problem.
If one loses gps-lock, the bird will automatically swith to att-mode .... not??

I think the issue here is the situation where your GPS still has satellite connection, but for some reason the GPS information is somehow temporarily incorrect or corrupted. Switching to ATTI mode would regain user control.

CapnBob said:
Frank, What is the total distance envelope of that track?

Almost 1/2 mile.

Attachments

• gpsdrift2.jpg
    gpsdrift2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 300
I think it's great the capt. did this for his and our own 'first-hand' experience. But guys, the plots presented are not unusual or unexpected. You all know how to research and/or verify that.

The list of contributing errors and biases affecting positional accuracy is long and dignified not to mention the quality and environment these 'pucks' are operating in.

Commercial applications whether for navigation, mapping, etc. employ numerous augmentation technologies.

GPS is amazingly accurate when compared to the surface area of the planet but way too much is expected in many cases.

Since no one has presented any information on how the data is used within the flight controller, whilst fun, and I too enjoy it, this discussion is purely academic.

N017RW said:
...this discussion is purely academic.

Hope I get a course credit for reading this thread. It is way over my grade level. Keep going CapnBob, it's interesting!!!

No harm in the mistaken call out btw. I think Frank is a little hard of hearing....;) <<<JOKE!!!!!

I concur that commercial aviation, mapping, surveying, and other high precision technologies use Augmentation, such as WAAS in the US. I can find no data anywhere that mentions that dji uses such augmentation. This is a consumer-based application, much as the hand-held Garmins and Magellans mentioned in the snippets, which showed occasional huge errors experienced by owners of those units, which are specialized receivers.
With their checkered history of questionable design decisions, it is not impossible that dji is not using augmentation.
Their Wookong-M has experienced serious GPS problems. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628068
The NAZA-M V2 is a low-end hobby flight controller, not a high-precision system for airlines and professionals.
It's all in the code, and dji has had varied and continuous issues with their code, as we have all experienced.

N017RW said:
I think it's great the capt. did this for his and our own 'first-hand' experience. But guys, the plots presented are not unusual or unexpected. You all know how to research and/or verify that.

The list of contributing errors and biases affecting positional accuracy is long and dignified not to mention the quality and environment these 'pucks' are operating in.

Commercial applications whether for navigation, mapping, etc. employ numerous augmentation technologies.

GPS is amazingly accurate when compared to the surface area of the planet but way too much is expected in many cases.

Since no one has presented any information on how the data is used within the flight controller, whilst fun, and I too enjoy it, this discussion is purely academic.

aartsf said:
robinb said:
Remember to switch to ATTI mode if you start to get a problem.
If one loses gps-lock, the bird will automatically swith to att-mode .... not??

But thats NOT what we are talking about here.

Its the GPS thinks its somewhere else so tries to correct itself by flying to where it should be. !

Switching to ATTI quickly will stop this.

CapnBob said:
I concur that commercial aviation, mapping, surveying, and other high precision technologies use Augmentation, such as WAAS in the US. I can find no data anywhere that mentions that dji uses such augmentation. This is a consumer-based application, much as the hand-held Garmins and Magellans mentioned in the snippets, which showed occasional huge errors experienced by owners of those units, which are specialized receivers.
With their checkered history of questionable design decisions, it is not impossible that dji is not using augmentation.
Their Wookong-M has experienced serious GPS problems. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628068
The NAZA-M V2 is a low-end hobby flight controller, not a high-precision system for airlines and professionals.
It's all in the code, and dji has had varied and continuous issues with their code, as we have all experienced.

N017RW said:

Bob,

The NEO u-blox 6Q GPS engine does have SBAS (WAAS) capability but as you mentioned it is not known if it is enabled/utilized.

max said:
I swear, the threads are getting worse by the day.

I never understood why people complain about something they don't have to do.

Your contribution however has really made a difference and rescued this one. :lol:

N017RW said:
max said:

I never understood why people complain about something they don't have to do.

Your contribution however has really made a difference and rescued this one. :lol:

Haha :) sorry, I should have been more explicit: I don't think the discussion in this thread and data being presented is relevant to flyaways. I think it's a wild goose chase.

max said:
CapnBob said:
max said:

Feel free to read (and comment) elsewhere.

I apologize for being rude

And me to you too max. ;)

I think it does point out that no one knows because until we understand how the GPS data is stored, used, or manipulated,
all I can say is Honk, Honk (i.e. the sound of wild geese) :lol:

Would like to see some support for GLONASS in addition to GPS, I know my smart phone will look for the additional sats when GPS accuracy falls below a certain threshold. Hopefully the receiver can support the additional frequency range.

No additional supported carriers.
GPS only with the current DJI/Phantom offering.

N017RW said:

I did read here on another thread that the GPS module can use glasnos as well if the dual antenna is fitted.
The flight controller does support both systems.

robinb said:
N017RW said:

I did read here on another thread that the GPS module can use glasnos as well if the dual antenna is fitted.
The flight controller does support both systems.

That's incorrect.

The ublox NEO-6Q engine is GPS only.

Not really an FC issue with regards to supporting it or not. At that point is is just packet-ized data.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic