Mavic Pro Soft Focus Issue Explained

Reaction score
Apparently this explains the issue seen in some test footage by Casey Neistat and Digital Rev:

"The Mavic has the ability to focus down to 0.5 m for aerial selfies. But, as it's new to allow the option to focus, some early reviewers have accidentally fixed the focus to something other than infinity, causing soft video."

Source: RC Groups: Official DJI Mavic ***Owner and Developer'sThread*** - RC Groups

Here's a proper 4K test shot:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

I just think it's people trying to persuade themselves this HAS to be better than ALL of the current DJI product line...

While not cheap and packed with features, this product is not advertised as redefining picture quality standards.

The shot you linked doesn't seem sharper than the one below, which comes from a source that seem to focus on photography and were the 1st to point the slightly lower picture quality compared to the P4's footage:

Hmmm...

I just think it's people trying to persuade themselves this HAS to be better than ALL of the current DJI product line...

While not cheap and packed with features, this product is not advertised as redefining picture quality standards.

The shot you linked doesn't seem sharper than the one below, which comes from a source that seem to focus on photography and were the 1st to point the slightly lower picture quality compared to the P4's footage:

There's a link to download the raw 4K clip in that YouTube description. Have a look yourself, it's as good as any P4 footage.

Essentially, the Mavic has exactly the same sensor, just different optics offering less FOV. No reason why the IQ will not be as good as the P4's.

No one is trying to persuade themselves of anything, the soft focus footage just seemed odd given their adept camera technology. The fact that the camera has focusing options in the Go App explains it. Strange that DJI failed to mention this in the specs.

Thanks for pointing out the raw footage link, I'm not currently on a device that would allow me to actually see anything and even by DigitalRev's comments on this (non) issue and comparison shots, the difference is actually quasi-unnoticeable. 99% of the customer base this product is destined to wont ever notice it if it's there.

Besides same specs though, as you said optics differ also, and perhaps it's not the same image processor and this would come to play as well. After all the specs are not exactly the same when it comes to 120fps@1080p and other minor differences and this seem to hint at a different image processor.

Screenshots from raw. Doesn't look bad at all though seems less good than the P3/P4 to me. Maybe its the same sensor size but are we sure its actually the exact same sensor? Otherwise, lens diffs maybe.

Also it seems to be about 50-60mbps (bitrate) like the P4 for 4k 30fps afaik

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

yTJEPZS.jpg

9EQusv4.jpg

Besides same specs though, as you said optics differ also, and perhaps it's not the same image processor and this would come to play as well. After all the specs are not exactly the same when it comes to 120fps@1080p and other minor differences and this seem to hint at a different image processor.

Sure, it's very likely that they have had to slightly compromise on processing power in terms of the Mavics' ability to work 96p HFR rather than 120p HFR on the P4. This could well be to do with thermal management as the aircraft is so small.
--
Screenshots from raw. Doesn't look bad at all though seems less good than the P3/P4 to me. Maybe its the same sensor size but are we sure its actually the exact same sensor? Otherwise, lens diffs maybe.

Yeah man, it's definitely the same sensor. A DJI rep confirms this in that RCG link I posted above:
Question Posted by Aerial_IRL
Holy crap, has same size camera sensor as Phantom 4!!!
Answer Posted by DJI Propulsion
The same 1/2.3 inch sensor, same frame as P3/P4/Inspire X3
--
I'll do a proper test stills / 4K image quality when my Mavic arrives. Will use exact Go App settings on both aircraft and make sure the focus is set to infinity on the Mavic.

For my opinion it's not just about the video being soft but the colors are completely off. I mean they are oversaturated. The green has way too much yellow in it. Grey isn't grey but sometimes it looks cyan, sometimes it has some magenta in it. Have no idea what this is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peio64270
Just wanted to mention something, since it seems everyone is focused (no pun intended) on CMOS sensor type. Sensor is nothing, glass is everything. I'm over exaggerating of course, but I've been doing DSLR photography for 10+ years and I've learned that lens makes huge difference in sharpness, colors and overall image quality.
Both UAVs having same sensor means nothing, it's all about glass type/quality, coating and number of elements in the lens... If it's same optic materials and coating as P4, just smaller POV than image quality should be nearly identical.
But it's not even that simple. Amount of light will affect shutter speed which will greatly affect sharpness of moving images. Then there's ISO noise. To do a fair comparison one will need to shoot in almost exact spot at same light intensity and preferably hovering in place.
I was completely blown away by Mavic when it was announced, just hoping someone will do a good comparison of image quality cause I was almost ready to sell my P3A last week :)

For my opinion it's not just about the video being soft but the colors are completely off. I mean they are oversaturated. The green has way too much yellow in it. Grey isn't grey but sometimes it looks cyan, sometimes it has some magenta in it. Have no idea what this is.
Much like the Phantoms, you can have color profile settings. I wouldn't worry too much about oversaturated pics, I am willing to bet they just have the 'vivid' option set. For every cartoon-color video I've seen, I've seen another with great color.

You can always adjust or just shoot in D-LOG and do the corrections yourself.

Just wanted to mention something, since it seems everyone is focused (no pun intended) on CMOS sensor type.
Didn't notice anyone would mention CMOS in this thread before.
Sensor is nothing, glass is everything.
Optics is important definitely. But it's not all. I remember several years ago a Nikon & a Sony DSLR cameras shared the same sensor but the Nikon images were a lot better. That was because Nikon had a lot better image processing software built in their camera.
What bothers me with Mavic is that the colors are off as I explained earlier. That could be improved with some firmware update or a neutral setting in case that's available.

Just wanted to mention something, since it seems everyone is focused (no pun intended) on CMOS sensor type. Sensor is nothing, glass is everything. I'm over exaggerating of course, but I've been doing DSLR photography for 10+ years and I've learned that lens makes huge difference in sharpness, colors and overall image quality.
Both UAVs having same sensor means nothing, it's all about glass type/quality, coating and number of elements in the lens... If it's same optic materials and coating as P4, just smaller POV than image quality should be nearly identical.
But it's not even that simple. Amount of light will affect shutter speed which will greatly affect sharpness of moving images. Then there's ISO noise. To do a fair comparison one will need to shoot in almost exact spot at same light intensity and preferably hovering in place.
I was completely blown away by Mavic when it was announced, just hoping someone will do a good comparison of image quality cause I was almost ready to sell my P3A last week :)

And don't forget the Mavic lens is F2.2. To get the same sharpness then a F2.8 lens you have to construct a far better lens.
As a rule; the smaller the F-stop the more softness the lens produce.
I know a longer 28mm lens is easier to produce then a 20mm lens but de difference in diafragma's out weighs the the difference in focal lenghts.

DJI should develop a lens with a variable diafragma.

Last edited:
Much like the Phantoms, you can have color profile settings. I wouldn't worry too much about oversaturated pics, I am willing to bet they just have the 'vivid' option set. For every cartoon-color video I've seen, I've seen another with great color.

You can always adjust or just shoot in D-LOG and do the corrections yourself.
Thank you for mentioning D-LOG.
I actually always use RAW for photos just like on my DSLR camera.
But for video I don't see any chance to set D-LOG. It would be great to have this option. I have a P3P. Is that different with P4?

Thank you for mentioning D-LOG.
I actually always use RAW for photos just like on my DSLR camera.
But for video I don't see any chance to set D-LOG. It would be great to have this option. I have a P3P. Is that different with P4?
I can shoot in D-LOG on my P3P. If you go into the Color profiles (Settings -> [Camera] -> Color), it should be the second one in the list.

Reactions: apprentice

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic