Mars Mini Parachute

Reaction score
I realize that this does not qualify me for flying over people in the eyes of the FAA, but I've found a way to mount my Mars Mini Parachute system to my P4P using some long Velcro cinch straps. The chute will spring deploy downward, which should give me an added second to shut off the props. I hope to never get to see how well it works. I plan on using it in situations where the likelihood of an individual accidentally walking under the drone would warrant the extra safety precaution, such as at an active construction site.

The downside is that a downward deployment will probably have the craft touch down with a motor first impact.

mars_01.jpg mars_02.jpg

Last edited:
Very well done. Is that unit "user repackable"?

Thanks. Yes. Autonomous deployment (fingers crossed) and easily user re-packable. They have a mount that was designed for the early Phantoms, but no mount for the P4P. Didn't want it to go to waste, so I figured out a way to attach it securely.

Just a thought, the auto deploy is usually activated by a sudden drop in altitude. Since your unit is mounted upside down, will it actually sense a sudden drop? Or will it think you are ascending?

The brain of the system (called "Mayday") is that blue lighted box. During set-up, you mount that small box in any 90 degree plane orientation and run though a couple of electronic steps which then tells it what it's normal position will be. The Mayday unit is only connected with wires to the chute tube, so it really doesn't know (or care) which direction the chute will deploy. In the photo, the Mayday unit is simply attached with a Velcro strip across the other Velcro straps. The needed 9v battery is attached to the bottom end of the tube, again with Velcro.

Reactions: 3rdof5
The brain of the system (called "Mayday") is that blue lighted box. During set-up, you mount that small box in any 90 degree plane orientation and run though a couple of electronic steps which then tells it what it's normal position will be. The Mayday unit is only connected with wires to the chute tube, so it really doesn't know (or care) which direction the chute will deploy. In the photo, the Mayday unit is simply attached with a Velcro strip across the other Velcro straps. The needed 9v battery is attached to the bottom end of the tube, again with Velcro.
Ah ok then no worries :)

I read the above on your thread and is their a video from the maker of the chute deploy system ....id love to see just how it works with a falling tumbling drone....Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers