Map View Missing After RC Update

Reaction score
My RC would not update and I had to send it to DJI. After I received it back all looked good and I did a test flight. The first thing I noticed was a warning in green in the upper left hand corner of the screen. My location showed a great big circle with me in the middle of it. I am about 5 miles southeast of Memphis International Airport. When I switched from camera mode to map mode NONE of the streets were showing in my area. Any help is much appreciated. If this has been addressed in another thread I apologize but I could not find it.

My RC would not update and I had to send it to DJI. After I received it back all looked good and I did a test flight. The first thing I noticed was a warning in green in the upper left hand corner of the screen. My location showed a great big circle with me in the middle of it. I am about 5 miles southeast of Memphis International Airport. When I switched from camera mode to map mode NONE of the streets were showing in my area. Any help is much appreciated. If this has been addressed in another thread I apologize but I could not find it.
Do you still use an iPad? Was it connected to the internet to get map data or did you cache map data in advance?

Do you still use an iPad? Was it connected to the internet to get map data or did you cache map data in advance?
I was very close to my patio door. I must be ignorant. It must be cache map data as my internet does not reach that far. I turned everything on inside my house a few minutes ago and the map was there. Have not tried it outside yet. Is there a way to update the map? Thanks for the reply.

This is for using an iPad with wifi only.

When you first turn on the GoApp & using the Internet it will show your map. Go to the map. In the upper right corner you should see 3 icons. Going from left to right the 1st one you can choose your home point icon. 2nd will orientate North. 3rd are diagonal squares. Click on it & choose your desired look on the map.

Scrolling around the map find where you'd like to fly. Once found exit the GoApp. Go to your settings & go into Airplane mode. You'll now save the map when you go to your desired area to fly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
Don't forget to be sure that you have Cache Maps in Background enabled in the app settings in the General menu.

To Cache your map of proposed flight area. Turn the RC drone and app in, while connected to your wifi network or a wifi hotspot, once everything is running correctly, and the home point has been stored, with the Cache Map in Background tab on, go to the map view, and scroll the map around, open it up, to the largest resolution, now slide the map around, exposing a larger area beyond where you wish to fly.
When you turn the device and drone off, the nap will hopefully still be there, when you are out of any wifi connection.
Cached maps, don't always remain in memory. But good luck.
You can also use a cell phone as a wifi hotspot. ;-)
Or pull the SIM card and place it in your RC connected device.

RedHotPoker

[QUOTE="RedHotPoker,
RedHotPoker[/QUOTE]

I'm sure I read somewhere that google maps only stay for 30 days, after that you have to reload them, if I'm wrong and there's a way to save then please let me know as I get fed-up having to reload them after 30 days

To Cache your map of proposed flight area. Turn the RC drone and app in, while connected to your wifi network or a wifi hotspot, once everything is running correctly, and the home point has been stored, with the Cache Map in Background tab on, go to the map view, and scroll the map around, open it up, to the largest resolution, now slide the map around, exposing a larger area beyond where you wish to fly.
When you turn the device and drone off, the nap will hopefully still be there, when you are out of any wifi connection.
You can also use a cell phone as a wifi hotspot. ;-)
Or pull the SIM card and place it in your RC connected device.

RedHotPoker

I see no reason and find it totally unnecessary to start up everything just to cache the map. I've never done it that way using my iPad for my P3 since it was first released 3 years ago. Simply going to the GoApp then to the map while using the Internet is more than enough to cache the map.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Oso
Yes, do it that way. I just like to hear the "motors running" while I tinker. Hahaha

& I Leave the props on when I run the onboard flight SIM!! ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I'm sure I read somewhere that google maps only stay for 30 days, after that you have to reload them, if I'm wrong and there's a way to save then please let me know as I get fed-up having to reload them after 30 days

Thirty days!!? No I'm talking about the same day. I have cached the [URL='http://www.ercha.ca[/URL]']www.ercha.ca[/URL] vicinity, only to have a grid for my map upon opening the app. Funny when you review these same flights later on, the map is back. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl