map help please

Reaction score
hey all . I have a p3 s with a Ipad 2 air wi fi only , with a garmin glow . running dji gp app3.1.14 . everything is all good except I have no maps. the Ipad has google earth, bluetooth to the ipad is good. can use maps on Ipad. I have gps to the controller ( Gps enabled , 4 bars , flight Gps p atti .when I tap the grey box on the bottom right of the screen I have cam view or tap it again for maps , Cam works fine , screen turns grey for maps. I have" show maps in the background" checked . why no maps ?

You probably need an internet connection with your ipad. Try turning on the mobile hotspot on your phone and connect your ipad to that. You shouldn't need it for the entirety of the flight, but just to load the map of your area.

You probably need an internet connection with your ipad. Try turning on the mobile hotspot on your phone and connect your ipad to that. You shouldn't need it for the entirety of the flight, but just to load the map of your area.
thanks , tne Ipad air is wi fi only that is why i have the garmin glo gps .I have internet to the IPAD ( I have wifi hotspot ) but if I go to my wifi settings in the ipad to set it to the dji go app should it not disconnect the wi fi to the internet ?

you need to cache the maps using Wi-Fi at home , start the app , no need to turn on P3S , tap the grey camera button , tap map to expand it , zoom in and scroll around and your maps will be saved and used during flight , no internet connection needed during flight

you need to cache the maps using Wi-Fi at home , start the app , no need to turn on P3S , tap the grey camera button , tap map to expand it , zoom in and scroll around and your maps will be saved and used during flight , no internet connection needed during flight
Thanks for the reply
I must be missing something
I have a Verizion mi fi ( portable internet wi fi )
if I open the google maps app I can locate my position
I close google maps on the I pad
I go to wifi settings on the I pad and open the dji go app
on the p3 controller I click on the box on the bottom right of the screen ( it has 2 options ) camera or maps)
I click camera - works great
I click maps - upper right gives me 3 options street, sat, hybrid .
no matter which one I choose I have a grey screen.
I have a idea the cause is it is not caching the map I viewed in google maps
Btw when I select the dji app in the wifi on the ipad it says = dji go connected / no internet svc

forget about google maps in your IPAD , DJI GO APP doesn't use those maps , does not connect to google map app , you must cache maps when DJI GO is running -- creates it's own map data base , connects to internet and creates it's own GOOGLE map data base for the IPAD , uses HERE maps for ANDROID , run the app only , slide inspire sideways to reveal P3 series , select P3S , hit grey camera button , bring map up full screen , scroll around = cache maps

@h269a1
Welcome to the forum.

Took a look at this web sight.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

There is a link to U-boob clip under software, if its any good I don't know, but it good start on Phantom questions.

As stated above, DJI go has to cache the maps.

Rod

I just tried exactly as you said. still comes up a grey screen . my dji app only shows one bar internet connection standing beside hot spot.
thanks again

Hum, I just tried it on may Ipad, No phantom or remote. Shows me right where I'm at. I see I do have cache map in the background is on.

What do you mean "my dji app only shows one bar internet connection" ?
They app is not going to show you internet connection?

Rod

Last edited:
@h269a1
Welcome to the forum.

Took a look at this web sight.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

There is a link to U-boob clip under software, if its any good I don't know, but it good start on Phantom questions.

As stated above, DJI go has to cache the maps.

Rod
I been a licensed helo pilot for 30 yrs ( lost medical) and I have never had such a hard time with a toy. I have downloaded the dgi go twice, does your screen display any wifi bars ? mine only shows one
thanks

Hum, I just tried it on may Ipad, No phantom or remote. Shows me right where I'm at. I see I do have cache map in he background is on.

Rod
when i look at the top of the screen . anyway I have it showing maps. like doing what you said ,But I toggled off my cache in background , rebooted and turned back on .and now I have maps , crappy , but a map
thanks for your help

Hum, I'm lost, why would you toggle off "cache map in the background"?

Reboot, or powering off, or restarting DJI-GO isn't that going to loose the cached maps?

Sorry, I have never relied on those maps, yet.

Rod

Hum, I just tried it on may Ipad, No phantom or remote. Shows me right where I'm at. I see I do have cache map in the background is on.

Rod
I just took it out to fly. I have the max distance set @400m . it stops at 30m ? I believe it is in the software .
I am a old fart with bad eyes. am flying in fl in middle of swamp . just want added safety when I loose sight of it. I still have a lz pad but I only have 300yds of clear view before tall trees

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl