Many copters being sold?

Reaction score
Just curious why so many copters are for sale? I just recently got into the hobby but wondered why so many copters are for sale? I've seen ads where folks only had them for a couple of months and they now for sale?

Why so many copters are for sale? Is it because of restricted laws of where to fly?

WillZX14R
Phantom P4 Pilot

These are technological items and technology is changing so fast that what you bought six month ago appears to be old in technology.

There is real no need to rush for new pieces, best is to enjoy what one has bought it and go for new when it's life is over.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Either people are just upgrading which is the majority or people just lost interest partially because of the negativity the hobby has gotten. People tend to upgrade when a new model is released and I believe DJI just released 3 new models these past couple months.

I bought my P4 on ebay, the previous owner had bought 2 batteries, a £200 case, polar pro filters, and literally had only flown it for 6 minutes. His 6 min flight cost him £400. Madness
I have now corrected the lack of flight time.

Just curious why so many copters are for sale? I just recently got into the hobby but wondered why so many copters are for sale? I've seen ads where folks only had them for a couple of months and they now for sale?

Why so many copters are for sale? Is it because of restricted laws of where to fly?

WillZX14R
Phantom P4 Pilot

The first reason so many are for sale is that so many were sold to begin with. I think DJI produced 500,000 drones last year, so it's normal to expect a good turnover of them. This year they are scheduled to exceed 1 million.

The second reason is that some pilots buy them, fly them once or twice and are scared of crashing them, so they get out before they crash. There are also those for sale that have been flown once and crashed and then the owner is afraid of crashing them again.

I dont see anyone "dumping" P2's 3's or 4's, there are very few steals out there. And retail and resale prices are still reasonably high for birds that are 1 2 and 3 generations old. The dumping of the older birds didnt happen with the release of the Mavic, most owners are smarter than that and didnt get caught up in the maelstrom created by the hype around the Mavic release. Most owners will test the waters about how much they can get, make sure the Mavic is worth the price difference between their birds and the new one, and then decide if they really want that new bird enough to lose alot of money on their old bird. As for me, I am keeping all my old birds around until the furor dies down about the Mavic and people stop charging premiums on new release birds they had hoarded for a profit.

I bought my P4 on ebay, the previous owner had bought 2 batteries, a £200 case, polar pro filters, and literally had only flown it for 6 minutes. His 6 min flight cost him £400. Madness
I have now corrected the lack of flight time.

That happens to many. They do all the research and they finally get it and fly for the first time but just wasn't what they thought. It sucks but saves many of us some money :).

These are technological items and technology is changing so fast that what you bought six month ago appears to be old in technology.

There is real no need to rush for new pieces, best is to enjoy what one has bought it and go for new when it's life is over.

So true and I should know....I have the iPhone 7. :) My goal is to enjoy the P4 !!!...well, as much as I can and build my skills to an optimal level.

There are many that buy them thinking that would be cool and then find out your heart better be in good condition when you are flying on the edge of visual sight or the first time you get close to hitting a tree. They either tough it out and learn the basics or they give up quickly and turn in their wings before they crash and lose $500-$1200. I bought my Phantom from a guy that bought it but then found out it was just not his type of RCing experience. He likes FPV airplanes and quads just did not ramp his pulse up.

Others find out the hard way that they may be in a area that is not safe to fly in such as near a airport and just don't want to travel to fly.

Many many reasons why there are tons of drones for sale. The good thing is if you are a buyer you can get some tremendous deals as it is a buyers market. If you think you are getting a great deal keep looking a bit more as there is likely going to be a better one popping up soon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic