Make drone more visible in air

As odd as it sounds, when flying (as we do in 3 dimensions,.....often at a considerable distance), it is difficult to purposely collide with another flying aircraft. Painting up a Phantom like a circus wagon won't help much (other than possibly getting you accused of poor taste).

As odd as it sounds, when flying (as we do in 3 dimensions,.....often at a considerable distance), it is difficult to purposely collide with another flying aircraft. Painting up a Phantom like a circus wagon won't help much (other than possibly getting you accused of poor taste).
Haha. Well I don't want to be accused of poor taste, but I do plan on purposely flying within close proximity of the drone. So more obvious it is, the better.

Not to be a Debbie downer here but I think this is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

VLOS means someone has to have eyes on the Phantom at all times while in flight. Anything else is just tossing the dice and reckless in my opinion.

BUT...

This is actually like filming fireworks in a way. You need to get up in the air and shoot a test shot while someone lights the rocket. It may take a couple of rockets to find the perfect spot, but you will.

If you must do this without any trial runs or ground staff than I suggest you find a landmark, be it a tree, hill, river, creek, water tower or windmill that can be easily seen from aloft. Then position the Phantom over that at pre-determined altitude. I believe you can make a mission in Litchi or GO! or AutoPilot to achieve this, although again, I don't recommend it. :)

Not to be a Debbie downer here but I think this is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

VLOS means someone has to have eyes on the Phantom at all times while in flight. Anything else is just tossing the dice and reckless in my opinion.

BUT...

This is actually like filming fireworks in a way. You need to get up in the air and shoot a test shot while someone lights the rocket. It may take a couple of rockets to find the perfect spot, but you will.

If you must do this without any trial runs or ground staff than I suggest you find a landmark, be it a tree, hill, river, creek, water tower or windmill that can be easily seen from aloft. Then position the Phantom over that at pre-determined altitude. I believe you can make a mission in Litchi or GO! or AutoPilot to achieve this, although again, I don't recommend it. :)
That's what I was planning to do. I was going to have it set at a predetermined altitude above my truck. I think that would be good enough, but it never hurts to take extra precautions (like making it more visible by some means). There are a lot of people in the ppg community that have done what I plan to, I was just curious what could be done to make it a little safer, because the footage I've seen are just stock drones with no means to make them stand out more from the surroundings.

I think what would make it safer would be to do couple of runs with one para-glider, with a planned flight path. Then you adjust the angle of your camera and save the mission to run again.

Do you think the wing-suit guys just wing it? Not sorry for the pun.

I think what would make it safer would be to do couple of runs with one para-glider, with a planned flight path. Then you adjust the angle of your camera and save the mission to run again.

Do you think the wing-suit guys just wing it? Not sorry for the pun.
I'm definitely going to do a couple runs solo first. I try to be cautious, but sometimes I do wing it when I go wing suiting ;) you can only take so many steps before you just gotta say f it. Lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic