MAJOR ISSUE NUMBER 1: MC wont connect via USB

Reaction score
Hello. Newbie here.

So. I bought a display model P2V. Got it home and powered up in the correct order. The P2V did it's initial quick green and amber lights on power up and then gives 3 red flashes along with 3 beeps front booms. No other lights displayed thereafter. The P2V starts (props off) if I give it the sick inputs, yaw, pitch etc all responding as it should. When started up the 2 red leds light at the front.

The P2V doesnt seem to do any other checks though like looking for GPS and nor can I initiate the compass calibration. So I'm reluctant to fly it. I'm assuming

The user manual says the IMU needs calibrating. Using the assistant software connecting to the USB port on the P2V.

I followed the instructions to the letter on bottom of this page http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/can-not-connect-to-assistant.1113/ and installed the latest versions of RC, assistant and the driver from the current DJI P2V support page. I even tried an older version 3.6 of assistant.

The driver install informs me the device has been updated successfully (for windows)

I have tried on 3 windows pc's and 2 macs (without driver and using mac versions of the software) following instructions correctly.

The assistant software fails to make a connection with the P2V no matter what I do. Please help :-(

Please!
Phil.

Last edited:
Hello Phil,
In your post above, you keep saying RC ASSISTANT.

RC assistant = Tx , is for calibrating you remote ONLY
( depending on remote you have, USB port may be internal, and requires you to open Tx to access it )
Now
After you have hooked your Tx to RC ASSISTANT, did all proper calibrations there, unhook Tx, turn off RC assistant, put Tx back together.
Now we need ( PC ASSISTANT & driver )
PC assistant is for calibrating, changing parameters, tweaking your craft, you can also calibrate Tx to craft there.
Open PC assistant, plug USB cable to PC and phantom, turn on remote ( Tx ), then bird, you should see 2 little lights ( bottom left computer screen ) green-blue, they should be active, either on or blinking, this lets you know PC is communicating with phantom

Are you seeing any of this above?
You might have a faulty USB cable, or bad port on bird ( if the cable works for the Tx in rc assistant, but not for the bird in PC assistant, than a bad USB port on p2v! ( or software conflict in your PC!

Let us know what you find out?

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot

J: My bad .. not quite clear on my post. I have installed:

DJI WIN Driver Installer v2.02
Phantom 2 Vision Assistant Software v3.8 (I've even tried version 3.6)
Phantom RC Assistant Software v1.2 (not required) (I have since realized my TX is configured via the MC, no usb on my controller)

I'm aware I need to see 2 lights in the bottom bar when using the assistant, but the MC just refuses to connect. Assistant has signed me in and is reporting on the INFO TAB that there are currently no updates

When the bird is plugged into the pc the pc bongs ... so it knows there's something there. The bird is even listed in windows devices as a DJI USB virtual Com19

It's driving me bananas ..... and the wife isnt too impressed I've spent 12+ hours in front of the pc ;-(

Thanks
Phil.

Hello Phil,
I understand, first, you Tx should be calibrated in RC assistant, your USB is INTERNAL, and requires removing 4 small Phillips screws on back of Tx to access it, and update it.
( this process calibrates Tx sticks, and X1 ( if X1 is used )). After this , your Tx is 0'ed out, all sticks when limp, are at TRUE 0.

Now
We unhook Tx ( put back, back on )
Hook bird to PC via same cord, open PC assistant, turn on Tx and turn on bird ( I know this is where yours has an issue ), but once in PC assistant you can do whatever you need to, but you also want to calibrate Tx there as well, this calibrated bird settings with Tx positions. Plus I'd like to see if RC assistant recognizes the Tx. Your going to have to open Tx, BE CAREFULL PUTING BACK TOGETHER, do not pinch any wires!
I'll send you something in a minute to help you!

J Dot

Hello Phil,
This may help
B68C8BD2-2608-4E50-8081-7E31FBB28CDA_zpsdmgr4tgu.jpg

Careful separating halves, lift back up a bit, and pull away from antenna clip, it will snap out if you rock it a bit as you pull away,
0A2728D1-6AD5-405D-B3AE-140D4737F75C_zpsjrwsci7m.jpg

Plug USB here:
3CAD01A1-C9DC-495A-A7E1-A44F495619C8_zpsyvtyrd6r.jpg

Like I said just be carefull putting back together, as antenna wire, and power wires, can get pinched, just check before you screw it down.

Let me know how it goes?

J Dot

Reactions: SnoozeDoggyDog
Hey Phil,
If the PC bings when phantom is plugged in, than the driver has a software conflict, or a bad install,
I'd delete it completely, and reinstall it again! Also if you have antivirus with firewall, the firewall may be blocking it as well ( try to disable it temporarily just to see if phantom will communicate with PC )?
But sure sounds like a driver issue to me!

J Dot

If you see the DJI device under the device manager, then I doubt you're having a driver issue.

The only possibility that comes to mind is that maybe the MC is not a P2 version, but perhaps was replaced with a different version. You can either open up the craft and look inside to see how it's labeled, or else you can try to download either the Assistant for the P1 or for the Naza Lite and see if either of them recognize the MC.

Reactions: SnoozeDoggyDog
Guys thanks for all the advice.

I'll turn off the firewall/scanner and see how I go.

I'll work on the suggestions now.I'm going to try CITYZEN's suggestion firstly as it seems the quickest test.

JDOT: You are too kind sending those instructions. Thank you.

Thank you for you time and effort.

Phil.

WOW .... I tried the Naza-M assistant and it connected immediately. I havent tried P1 assistant. should I of will an assistant ONLY connect if the correct MC is attached? Should I go ahead and update the firmware or is there a chance I might brick the bird?

What does this mean? Have I been sold something thats not as described???

Thank you
Phil.

Last edited:
Hmmmm from what little I've read so far it seems Naza-Mv2 renders the led's useless.

That explains why I didnt think it was safe to fly as there is no indication that i have gps fix ..... If I flick the s2 switch 6-9 times the bird doesnt go into compass calibration (yellow led's).

Last edited:
Hi,
OK thanks for the info. So have I been missold?
Is this not normal behaviour for what should be a vision 2? Could I have a Phantom 1 and a camera has just been bolted on? Were naza-m's in older phantoms or are they an upgrade from the p2v mc?

I'll be going back to the shop with it tomorrow and would like to be informed with some background knowledge.

It's strange to me because I get the yellow and green start up led's but not calibration led's. When I start the motors I only have 2 solid red led's.

Just how would I know if it has gps lock and how do I put it in compass calibration mode if I don't have any led's letting me know what's happening?

So many questions, I'm sorry.
Thanks
Phil

Last edited:
Hi,
OK thanks for the info. So have I been missold?
Yes.
Is this not normal behaviour for what should be a vision 2?
That's right.
Could I have a Phantom 1 and a camera has just been bolted on?
No, the P1 and P2 have different bodies.. The P1 has a separate LED indicator.
Were naza-m's in older phantoms or are they an upgrade from the p2v mc?
The P1 used Naza-M MC. The P2/P2V/P2V+ uses a "Phantom 2" MC. It's the same hardware, but different firmware.
I'll be going back to the shop with it tomorrow and would like to be informed with some background knowledge.

It's strange to me because I get the yellow and green start up led's but not calibration led's. When I start the motors I only have 2 solid red led's.

Just how would I know if it has gps lock and how do I put it in compass calibration mode if I don't have any led's letting me know what's happening?

So many questions, I'm sorry.
Thanks
Phil

The P1 used Naza-M MC. The P2/P2V/P2V+ uses a "Phantom 2" MC. It's the same hardware, but different firmware.
So can I flash the firmware back to standard "Phantom" thus enabling the normal LED's? If yes where can I find the old firmwares please.

Thanks very much for responding.
Phil

So can I flash the firmware back to standard "Phantom" thus enabling the normal LED's? If yes where can I find the old firmwares please.

Thanks very much for responding.
Phil
No, DJI's software won't let you do that. It might be possible to hack, but I don't know of anybody doing this.

No, DJI's software won't let you do that. It might be possible to hack, but I don't know of anybody doing this.
I took it back to the shop anyhow. They fitted a new gps and compass but still the vision wouldn't seek for sats not enter compass Cali mode. I was offered refund or a P2V+V3 warranty repair which has no marks on at all, boxed with all the bits and bobs at a price that would not have even paid for the camera and gimble.

Happy chappy! I've not stopped smiling since flying it.

You'll note find me over in the P2V+ forum.

Thanks for all your help Cityzen
Phil

Reactions: Moonlight
A+
Nice they hooked you up!

J Dot
Its a great machine. Scares me to death flying with that gimble on though.

Thanks for you help Jdot.

Phil

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic