Maiden Phantom4 flight for nervous UK flyer! Liverpool

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is our video of our Phantom 4's maiden flight. We had a very basic drone previously but no expert, but last week after seeing Casey Neistat's videos from Cape Town and the new features that the Phantom 4 offers my wife went out and got herself a Phantom4 from the Apple store in the UK.

I was pretty nervous about using this, very much discouraged by current press coverage. But actually it turned out really well, really nice and fun to fly, lots of cool features that add a really nice dimension to our filmmaking. A lot of my fear stemmed from choosing a suitable place, but consulting DJI's No Fly map (Fly Safe | DJI which you need to view on a computer or ipad - didn't work on Android) and the Notams website (Flight Planning Map: UK | NOTAM Info), and employing a bit of common sense we were ok. We stuck to Beginner mode which limits the height and distance (we mapped it out on the ground to get an idea), giving us a little more confidence but ample flying space.

Early findings from someone new to DJI:

a. that as you fly the video is automatically captured as it steams across LightBridge, probably at lower res but great for instant playback as you prepare to pack up your things and return home;

b. just how great the 4k camera is on this drone, it knocks the socks off my gopro footage and you can seriously crop the image to reframe.

c. how great ActiveTrack is, and how you can circle around a subject for great footage. Who needs these racking tripod heads when you can have a personal hover-cam?!

Next step will be to get some more flight hours under our belt (got a second battery now), did some filming out at Formby beach at the weekend, and will be experimenting with bringing out more colour in the footage in Final Cut Pro X.

Anyway hope you enjoy..
victory.gif

Will

Last edited:
After watching the Cape Town video I was very tempted to book a holiday there. What a fantastic place to try out your new P4. Sure beats anything around NE Bristol area where I take my P3S.!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

After watching the Cape Town video I was very tempted to book a holiday there. What a fantastic place to try out your new P4. Sure beats anything around NE Bristol area where I take my P3S.!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I was lucky enough to go there a few years ago for a holiday and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Absolutely so different from the resort type destinations you can go to. Real culture in the city, interesting history, architecture, cheap and good food, wine, and then looming over you all the time is the amazing scenery of Table Mountain. And to go out on trips to explore the cape of good hope is amazing too. We did loads and did pretty much what we fancied. Very easy place. And the light is amazing there. I'd be back like a shot if it were not for the cost of flights.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav