Magnetic or weather phenomenon ?

Reaction score
Lakes, mountains, watches and chocolate land
A strange thing happened with my P3 Advanced, whilst on a mission to catch some beautiful scenery. Did the usual checks, took off and idled for a few seconds to make sure everything is fine, then as the drone is about to fly over the cliff (cliff is about 200m deep), it started shaking strongly, which forced me to immediately get back to home point. Landed, power off, power on, and tried a second time, but the same phenomenon happened ! The drone was about 2.5-3 meters high before attempting to fly over the cliff. I did not want to take a chance and force it through with the risk of loosing him. Nice pics yes, but not at any cost ;)

So what's the cause for this?
Thermal updraft (it was a cold day around 6-7°C on top, and not much wind)?
Magnetic interferences due to the disposition of the landscape?
Creux-Du-Van.jpg

A strange thing happened with my P3 Advanced, whilst on a mission to catch some beautiful scenery. Did the usual checks, took off and idled for a few seconds to make sure everything is fine, then as the drone is about to fly over the cliff (cliff is about 200m deep), it started shaking strongly, which forced me to immediately get back to home point. Landed, power off, power on, and tried a second time, but the same phenomenon happened ! The drone was about 2.5-3 meters high before attempting to fly over the cliff. I did not want to take a chance and force it through with the risk of loosing him. Nice pics yes, but not at any cost ;)

View attachment 47827
Cliffs are notorious for having very strong drafts associated with them.

A check at HealthyDrones should show magnetic/compass errors if any were present.

You only have to watch a man/or woman with a hang glider bravely run towards the edge of a cliff in seemingly not enough breeze to support them happily soaring along the updrafts mkments later. Constantly amazes me. Also reminds me to get some altititude before venturing out.

Was there a gusty updraft?
The Phantom can fly fast horizontally but only 3m/s downwards.
In a gusty updraft it can't hold position vertically because of it's slow descent speed.
Magnetic effects would show up by making your Phantom fly a curve or slowly spinning.

It's not easy to control P3 on a cliff as you may find a very strong draft there. It's a natural phenomenon and not magnetic or weather.

Many soaring sites are near the cliff where strong updraft help gliders getting uplift.

Both meta4 & alokbhargava have way more knowledge than me, but the first observation for me was equating the 2.5-3 meter hover along with the white snow issue which to me suggested issues if the VPS system was in control prior to jumping off the cliff.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31