Phantom 4 CRASH PLEASE HELP!!!

What might be the situation where a warning light illuminated on the instrument cluster in a vehicle and the engine cut out and then after coasting to the side of the road, and checking the owners manual that said it wasn't safe to proceed, you persisted trying and managed to get it started and after a short time the engine failed requiring major repairs. Would you expect the dealership might, after pulling fault codes and history from the engine management computer, argue that you contributed to the loss by ignoring the warning?

I don't know the answer. I do see a similarity in this case though. No fly zone or not GO app reported a NFZ at first attempt to fly. Seemingly your determination with a power cycle and a little fiddling managed to get you flying. You then allowed the AC to proceed with a RTH which it is now very clear put the AC in what was reported (rightly or wrongly) as a NFZ causing an autoland.

DJI probably won't come too far in your direction without a lot of pressure. Your best hope is to google for similar user experiences and outcomes as a starting point.
Maybe. I would expect at least a 50/50 split.

Maybe. I would expect at least a 50/50 split.
From that position your prospects are probably reasonable. I can see DJI saying it was negligent to continue your efforts to launch in an are where the NFZ was reported (even if it was an error) as you had an opportunity avoid the outcome in persisting to fly. They may buckle though in good faith as, from what is known, the NFZ behaviour wasn't as advertised or expected in the circumstances.

I wonder, in the event, there was a temp NFZ that day, how one could find out?

From that position your prospects are probably reasonable. I can see DJI saying it was negligent to continue your efforts to launch in an are where the NFZ was reported (even if it was an error) as you had an opportunity avoid the outcome in persisting to fly. They may buckle though in good faith as, from what is known, the NFZ behaviour wasn't as advertised or expected in the circumstances.
They don't even mention the first attempt.

Not yet..... it will almost certainly be available to them though (previous flight)....
I know. Just saying they didn't give that as a reason.

I'm not missing something here right? There wasn't a NFZ! And even if there was it shouldn't have let me into it, not initiated autoland!

I know. Just saying they didn't give that as a reason.

I'm not missing something here right? There wasn't a NFZ! And even if there was it shouldn't have let me into it, not initiated autoland!
It likley initiated autoland while you were letting it RTH to avoid entering the (what it thought was) NFZ, particularity given the altitude the AC was at.

IMG_1827.PNG
What would the altitude have to do with it?

Except it wasn't in a NFZ at all! Ughh
DJI specifically mentions an "airport limit" and time entered (also saying your AC was at 380+ feet).

Have a look at your log (replay in DJI GO might be easiest for you) at the time specified and note the location. While the AC was, as explained by you, performing a RTH you said you chose to allow the AC to continue the RTH after connection was regained so you should have the information be in the GO app.

At leasf then you are in a good position to progress any further discussion you might want to have with DJI.

DJI specifically mentions an "airport limit" and time entered (also saying your AC was at 380+ feet).

Have a look at your log (replay in DJI GO might be easiest for you) at the time specified and note the location. While the AC was, as explained by you, performing a RTH you said you chose to allow the AC to continue the RTH after connection was regained so you should have the information be in the GO app.

At leasf then you are in a good position to progress any further discussion you might want to have with DJI.
I've looked at the logs. The RTH was proceeding as normal when it started to descend. I had just traveled that path. There isn't a NFZ there!
Even if there was a NFZ, it shouldn't have auto landed! That's not how it is supposed to work. Can't believe this. Thanks for help

I've looked at the logs. The RTH was proceeding as normal when it started to descend. I had just traveled that path. There isn't a NFZ there!
Even if there was a NFZ, it shouldn't have auto landed! That's not how it is supposed to work. Can't believe this. Thanks for help
If the AC is performing a RTH and hits what the software reports as an NFZ autoland is the only option. It isn't programmed to fly around or backtrack.

So if your certain it's not a NFZ you should ask DJI to consider whether a bug in their software contributed to your loss and ask them to help. They have stated their position, it was a NFZ associated with an airport.

This is the location DJI are saying he entered the NFZ 41.7916906 -88.0248892. I can't find anything anywhere near there other than a hospital helipad about a mile north. One would think they should be able to tell him exactly what NFZ he was in even it was a TFR.

If the AC is performing a RTH and hits what the software reports as an NFZ autoland is the only option. It isn't programmed to fly around or backtrack.

So if your certain it's not a NFZ you should ask DJI to consider whether a bug in their software contributed to your loss and ask them to help. They have stated their position, it was a NFZ associated with an airport.
Wow I didn't know that. I thought it was just supposed to stop. Where is the info on that as I want to read it

This is the location DJI are saying he entered the NFZ 41.7916906 -88.0248892. I can't find anything anywhere near there other than a hospital helipad about a mile north. One would think they should be able to tell him exactly what NFZ he was in even it was a TFR.
That's all I'm asking for. They mention a helipad, but I don't think there are any NFZs associated with heliports?

That's all I'm asking for. They mention a helipad, but I don't think there are any NFZs associated with heliports?
There can be, but that one isn't according to DJI GEO. I'd show them the coordinates on the DJI geo map and show them there are no restricted zones where you were.

@pete923

The information about auto landing in a NFZ can be found in the user manual.

Took my Phantom 4 out this afternoon. Did my preflight checks, and all seemed good. I waited for the aircraft to warm up, and once it did, the DJI GO app told me that I couldn't take off because I was in a no fly zone. I didn't understand this warning because I had flown at this site multiple times before without issue. I restarted the Phantom, went through my checks again, and finally got Safe to Fly (GPS). I had 16 satellites. I manually checked the home point on the map, took off, hovered, flew back and forth to make sure my controls were working, and off I went. I was flying around 2,000 feet away from me when the aircraft lost signal. I patiently waited to regain signal. When the phantom was about 1700 feet from me, I regained signal and let the drone come back to me. When it got to about 1400 feet away from me, auto land was suddenly triggered. I hadn't done anything to trigger this, but didn't freak out yet. I tried to cancel the auto land procedure, and DJI go gave me a notification that the outlined had been canceled, but the drone continued to descend. Frantically, I tried to cancel auto land two more times, but to no avail. The drone crashed into some trees and I completely lost signal. I went to look for it, and found it lying face down in some mud. There was fog in the area. I know that was a bad idea but I was itching to get out and fly.

The damage looks pretty bad. There are two cracks in the shell near the motors and two cracks in the landing struts. Worst of all, the gimbal is tilted to one side and the camera is facing completely inward. Not sure if this is supposed to do this to protect the camera? The electronics look ok. Attempted to dry it off and will let it sit for a few days before attempting to power on. Battery was lying right next to the drone but had obviously come out. I believe this happened up in the trees, as the log cuts off while the drone is still 108 feet in the air. I will attach some pics.

My first question is why in the world would the drone have auto landed where it did. Why wasn't I able to cancel auto land? Any chance that the warranty covers this? The drone is less than six months old. Also, how do I upload my flight log? Do I do it off of DJI GO?

Based on the pictures, what how extensive do you think the damage is? How could I go about making repairs? Estimate cost?

Will answer any questions, just want to know what happened to my bird. Really appreciate any help I could get. Thanks guys.
Hmmm

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl