Advanced Magnetic Filed interference

Reaction score
So first flight with my newly purchased used ph 3 advanced, I've gone about 300 ft when all the sudden The drone gets the warning I mentioned in the subject line and also says to exit p-gps mode then does a nose dive straight down and crashes the altimeter goes from 70 ft to -1,120 ft and game over.

Reactions: ianzone
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it!

Don't let this turn you away from drones. Buy a new Phantom 4Pro V 2.0 . This drone is fantastic, but read the manual twice before you fly, and customize all of your settings like RTH height first.

I was just flying a P4PV2 at the stockpiles in Sunol, CA off Interstate 680 to calculate the cubic yards volume. The open pit mine is in the distance.
DJI_0247.JPG

Capt KO

Capt KO
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Wow, that’s some interference! Sounds like it gave bad advice as well. Personally, it seems like someone shot it down with those new guns that jam the signals. Hope not but what happened is not normal at all. Sorry for the loss. Hope you try again. 😟

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
So first flight with my newly purchased used ph 3 advanced, I've gone about 300 ft when all the sudden The drone gets the warning I mentioned in the subject line and also says to exit p-gps mode then does a nose dive straight down and crashes the altimeter goes from 70 ft to -1,120 ft and game over.
Most magnetic interference happens at the very beginning of the flight on take off and the warning is easy to miss .
Where did you take off from , the grass, cement, ect. ?

ianzone

**P4**
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
All exit pgps means as warning is to switch to atti mode which has no GPS lock and will drift so you need to fly old school way,,when it regains enough satellite's pgps will become available again,,,as to why you had interference like this is on the extreme side and wont really know unless you upload flight log if it saved,even if compass or magnetic interference you would still be able to control enough to land,well anyway this sucks for first flight ,,It will bother you but get back on it,,is the drone fixable, there be some here that can help with parts etc if you get stuck,,someone might even sell you a cheap one ,,stick at it and good luck

Meta4

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
You've been given some misleading suggestions above.
It's not clear exactly what the problem was from your description, examining the recorded flight data might help.
The message about exit GPS mode is a notification that the drone has already exited GPS mode, due to the compass issue.
The magnetic field interference message is poorly worded too.
With the drone 70 ft in the air, magnetic fields on the ground have no effect on the compass at all.
And having compass issues, doesn't normally cause a drone to fall from the sky.

To get closer to solving the mystery, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

ianzone

**P4**
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
✨ solar flared mayby,misleading ah that be me,I'm good at that lol

• Haha
Reactions: PhantomWetSuits

HWB

Reaction score
Anytime I get near a large metal object i.e. a railcar or any power line i get the same warning. The power line is a no brainer but I can't get anywhere near one. How these people fly next to radio or cellular transmission towers is a mystery to me. My drone would surely burst into flames if it got near something large and charged like that

• Haha
Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Reaction score
You mean like this?

I hate when this happens. I've had 3 catastrophic crashes in my entire RC career. All 3 were due to mid-flight prop failure. That said...

Sounds like you got a drone with either a bum compass OR the connection to the compass was loose or compromised in some way. Had the compass needed calibration, you would've received a warning before you even took off.

I should mention that from my personal experience, when the compass goes wonky, the drone becomes EXTREMELY difficult to fly. I had one "uncontrolled descent" about 6 years back due to compass issues. It took about 6 attempts to get the drone to the ground without crashing. Ironically, after all that work of getting it landed safely, it went into RTH AFTER LANDING and took off again. ARGH! The subsequent landing wasn't quite as "graceful," but damage was minimal. Anyway, my point being that a wonky compass is nearly impossible to deal with.

D

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfj17