"Low noise" props and sport mode.

Reaction score
P mode with the new props has been fine, however...
I've noticed something peculiar when using the "low noise" props in S mode. When in full throttle, it sounds like the motors are pulsating. Like the rpm is pulsing up and down. Very noticeable.
When running the standard props full throttle in S mode the pulsing is not present.
Also, the new props are averaging 3 to 5mph slower top speed than the standard props.
I rarely if ever use S mode, but this concerns me a little.
Anybody else noticed this?

Someone else mentioned that in the crazy long Phantom 4 Low-Noise Props (Now Available) thread. It must be the trade off for lower frequency noise and a bit more battery life. Luckily I don't ever run in S mode but for those that do it would make sense to keep some standard props handy.
А bit more battery life I think is thanks to lower capacity of air that props push out. May be that make sence in hover mode, but in other I'll prefer (perhaps) the normal props.

P mode with the new props has been fine, however...
I've noticed something peculiar when using the "low noise" props in S mode. When in full throttle, it sounds like the motors are pulsating. Like the rpm is pulsing up and down. Very noticeable.
When running the standard props full throttle in S mode the pulsing is not present.
Also, the new props are averaging 3 to 5mph slower top speed than the standard props.
I rarely if ever use S mode, but this concerns me a little.
Anybody else noticed this?

We have been testing the props out for a few days, I will post the link here, the only thing I noticed is how fast the drone now drops from the sky when the stick is pulled all the way down and how the flutter action coming down is gone, which i think leads towards a faster drop. I had a scare today with that where I let free fall and just caught it , so I will be cautious about that. I might have captured that on video, but check out this link . New Props - Silent but deadly - loved and abused but cherished.

This is the only difference we noticed , The free fall is wicked smooth and fast. You might want to watch it in full screen for the full effect.

Last edited:
We have been testing the props out for a few days, I will post the link here, the only thing I noticed is how fast the drone now drops from the sky when the stick is pulled all the way down and how the flutter action coming down is gone, which i think leads towards a faster drop. I had a scare today with that where I let free fall and just caught it , so I will be cautious about that. I might have captured that on video, but check out this link . New Props - Silent but deadly - loved and abused but cherished.

This is the only difference we noticed , The free fall is wicked smooth and fast.

Wow, that is INSANE! Is this repeatable?

Wow, that is INSANE! Is this repeatable?

Yes that drop is wicked fast and smooth, I think because it is so smooth that is seems like it drops out of the sky, there is a noticeable difference in the drop , but I really like the way it handles, Someone mentioned that the new props may be slower, but I have not been able to test that, as the wind is always a factor. I am hoping a storm rolls off the lake today as we have yet to test the new props in the pouring rain, but I do not see any problems forth coming.

Phantomrain.org
More than a wet suit, its a coat of armour :}

Flew my P4P with the new props for the first time today and yes, I could notice the difference is sound quality. The old props have more 'bite' with these having a dull or flat kind of sound. However, coming in to land it was not as stable as I expected it to be (based on what I'm used to seeing using the normal props). It was wobbling side-side a lot, even the gimbal could not fully correct for the motion. There was a light breeze - maybe 6-8mph max, but it was still unstable as it dropped below the tree line where there was no wind at all. Need to investigate this, I have 3 sets of the new props (all genuine DJI) and I will try a different set.

Flew my P4P with the new props for the first time today and yes, I could notice the difference is sound quality. The old props have more 'bite' with these having a dull or flat kind of sound. However, coming in to land it was not as stable as I expected it to be (based on what I'm used to seeing using the normal props). It was wobbling side-side a lot, even the gimbal could not fully correct for the motion. There was a light breeze - maybe 6-8mph max, but it was still unstable as it dropped below the tree line where there was no wind at all. Need to investigate this, I have 3 sets of the new props (all genuine DJI) and I will try a different set.

We have been testing the new props almost ever day, If your drone is not acting stable, it is more likely that it is a firmware issue , rather than the props . This is a quick video clip in the wind of how stable the new props are on the drone, as i think if I wanted to I could have landed the drone on the rail. We were hoping for a violent storm to come but it passed on by, however I did capture some more video of a stable hover with some wind, .. . and its rock solid. I would check for a refresh of your firmware using the assistant 2

So will updated firmware correct the pulsing motors that is very noticeable with the new props? I’m always behind on firmware.

So will updated firmware correct the pulsing motors that is very noticeable with the new props? I’m always behind on firmware.

It would really help if I could see a video of the pulsing motors, or see it in action , but in general every firmware has its own personality. So first I would update and than video tape the hover and going straight up and down as you can tell a lot from that behavior.

If that does not work, now you have to go way back to a solid firmware that gave you the best bang for the buck so to speak. I have been using the older firmware for a long time but I have the Plus controller so I have a little different setup. I make a lot of videos so I need to be able to just pick up and film without any update hassle or problems so this set up works best for me. I may be posting the firmware set up I use soon on the website as it just makes sense that those that want to fly in extreme weather would want more control over there drone. But try the new update first and see what happens.

Flew the new props today in Sport mode. I noticed on the app looking at the red arrow on the map the arrow flutters side to side slightly.

Anyone else notice this? Drone seems less stable looking at the FPV video feed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl