LOST MY DRONE! HELP :(

Get your lats and longs for your last location and lats and longs for the KL tower if they match, you know what happened

Get your lats and longs for your last location and lats and longs for the KL tower if they match, you know what happened

The last recorded coordinates on the flight log are not at the tower because it lost downlink behind the tower, from the perspective of the launch point. See post #7.

View attachment 87360

You lost the link because you flew behind the tower. It will have initiated RTH, but the tower was directly in the path home. Since it didn't make it home, and has no obstacle avoidance, the only reasonable conclusion is that it did hit the tower.
And crashed onto that small roof circling the tower

Dont forget the Military and if your Security guards are like the ones in the states your parts are on Ebay.

Also at what battery low percentage is your drone set to automatically land when it gets to that level? Either it stopped and landed and someone nicked it, or it crashed into the tower. Either way mate, you may have lost a drone, but look on the bright side. You could have lost a life by the drone crashing into the building killing someone one as it drops. Its not nice losing a drone. Happened to me(but thankfully found it next day after no sleep and having great help from this forum)

Put up posters but be aware tho, if you did cause damage to your crash then them posters you put up will be evidence you are to blame if things did go wrong. Not having a pop at you or anything mate. Just want to be honest and try to help out. But don't give up just yet. Keep looking. As for the tower, does it have a balcony on the top part of it? May have landed there which explains why it hasn't dropped to the floor. Also if its a tourist attraction then it could have been pinched. May be a long shot... But ask the tower if they wouldn't mind checking the cameras to see if they can get anything. Throw the guys a few beers too even they can't locate it. Its all about showing respect mate [emoji6]

Also at what battery low percentage is your drone set to automatically land when it gets to that level? Either it stopped and landed and someone nicked it, or it crashed into the tower. Either way mate, you may have lost a drone, but look on the bright side. You could have lost a life by the drone crashing into the building killing someone one as it drops. Its not nice losing a drone. Happened to me(but thankfully found it next day after no sleep and having great help from this forum)

Put up posters but be aware tho, if you did cause damage to your crash then them posters you put up will be evidence you are to blame if things did go wrong. Not having a pop at you or anything mate. Just want to be honest and try to help out. But don't give up just yet. Keep looking. As for the tower, does it have a balcony on the top part of it? May have landed there which explains why it hasn't dropped to the floor. Also if its a tourist attraction then it could have been pinched. May be a long shot... But ask the tower if they wouldn't mind checking the cameras to see if they can get anything. Throw the guys a few beers too even they can't locate it. Its all about showing respect mate [emoji6]

I've set it to 30% automatically RTH. Also, today is the third times i've been to the last coordinates where it show and also the tower itself. I've asked the tower security for the third times today and again they said there's no any drone crash reported. Yeah i think there's a balcony or space on top part of the tower but it seems like i can't do anything since it's hard to get to the top of the tower. Anyway thanks mate! I'm still looking for it altho there's 10% chance left :)

Here's the picture of the balcony on the tower itself that i googled:

Attachments

• KL-Tower-Closeup-View.gif
    KL-Tower-Closeup-View.gif
    98.1 KB · Views: 360
  • malaysia_tower_kuala_731132_o-2.jpg
    malaysia_tower_kuala_731132_o-2.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 324
Reactions: Neon Euc
I've set it to 30% automatically RTH. Also, today is the third times i've been to the last coordinates where it show and also the tower itself. I've asked the tower security for the third times today and again they said there's no any drone crash reported. Yeah i think there's a balcony or space on top part of the tower but it seems like i can't do anything since it's hard to get to the top of the tower. Anyway thanks mate! I'm still looking for it altho there's 10% chance left :)

Here's the picture of the balcony on the tower itself that i googled:
I'd say forget security, talk to the maintenance department. They go more places and know more about the building. If maintenance knows, they might go looking for it. A little reward and I know they will look for it.

I agree. Def speak to maintenance as it seems very likely its on one of the balconies

I have to concur with others here. Likely to have crashed into or onto the tower.
1. You lost LOS.
2. Your RC lost LOS with the aircraft.
3. It lost radio signal and initiated RTH
4. The tower lies between the home location and the last signal.
5. You operated it way to close to other RF sources. See all those dishes on the tower? Guess what they are for? Yea. Microwaves. Imagine whispering to a friend in the middle of a Ted Nugent concert. Think they will hear you? NO. Neither did the bird, odds are it got flooded by all that RF and sqelched down and couldn't hear your RC anymore.

The critical thing to remember and that you apparently forgot is threefold...
1. The aircraft will fly a DIRECT line from where it is to home in the event of RTH.
2. The aircraft will fly that DIRECT line at the altitude set for RTH above HOME. If its lower it will climb.
3. If ANYTHING lies between home and the aircraft that is higher than RTH then its going to hit it.

Think of your RC as a powerful flashlight. If you aim it at the tower, there will be a cone of shadow behind it that gets wider the farther away from the tower it goes. If the tower is 300' wide, then back where the bird was, the shadow could well be 1000' wide because its a cone. RF works like that at these frequencies, its generally a straight line proposition. Once your bird got in that RF shadow, you were rolling dice second by second as to whether it could receive RC signal or not. Unfortunately at a couple points, the dice came up snakeeyes. and it was game over from that point. And when it flew closer and closer to the tower on RTH, it got to hear more and more RF from the tower dishes and antennas making it less and less possible for it to ever recover the RC's RF signal.

The sad thing is, its possible, just possible that had you moved left or right a few hundred feet, your RC could have been heard again by the bird. But you only had seconds to react and understand that before it was game over. Not saying for sure, but if you could have shifted the RF shadow by moving the RC sideways there might have been enough signal recovered by the bird for you to either get a downlink again (and thus more location data) or possibly stopped the RTH and flown home manually.

Yes, its your fault the best I can tell. Out of ignorance more than anything. Not stupidity. Stupidity is permanent. Ignorance is curable. All you need is knowledge to cure ignorance. Learn how 2.4ghz radio works, how it acts in and around objects, what reflects it, what blocks it, and what it passes through. Learn what your bird will do when it looses the signal. And don't ever fly behind something your RTH isn't set to clear the TOP of.

Reactions: LarBear360 and GM74
His last altitude was 750 feet. The roof of the pod is at 335 metres (1,099 feet). I don't think he was high enough to crash into the tower head unless his RTH altitude was set that high.

Just curious, at 10.9.4s the drone was traveling at a pretty brisk speed and then all of a sudden you almost stopped it. Then at 10m 15s you completely stopped it for a few seconds. Why?

Just curious, at 10.9.4s the drone was traveling at a pretty brisk speed and then all of a sudden you almost stopped it. Then at 10m 15s you completely stopped it for a few seconds. Why?
I didn't stopped it. Its stopped itself. DJI don't want to analyze my flight log since my warranty just ended 12 days ago. Sigh :/

Well as far as i am concerned it was your own fault
for flying above the legal limit. And putting the drone behind a tall building with
radio masts in the close proximity (read the manual about were not to fly)
This is just the sort of thing that gets other pilots a bad name!!
And if the security have got it they may not give it back
Next time fly at the legal height limit and away from buildings and radio masts etc
hope you get it back, and please fly it sensibly next time, tough lesson learnt

Last edited:

You are looking at a mixture of user control and autonomous flight. At 596 s the link was lost. At around 599 s it entered RTH and accelerated to 10 m/s. At 602 s the link was restored and at 607 s it dropped out of RTH and slowed to a stop since the operator had all sticks centered. It was then basically stationary until 621 s when the operator, for some unknown reason, applied heavy right aileron and flew it back into the radio shadow of the tower.

The remainder of the flight is not logged but almost certainly the aircraft went back into RTH and flew into the tower.

The entire sorry chain of events is pretty obvious but for some reason the OP is determined to believe that it was, somehow, equipment failure.

DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-24_[22-27-56].png

Last edited:
Same thing happen to me. Lost connect 3 weeks ago while flying a helipad at Downtown LA.
Luckily the security guy found my drone. Totally crash. But I got it back and send it in to DJi for fixing.
It lost signal due to all the high rises.
I'm so sorry for your lost :(
This much be very disappointing for you.
Dji Phantom has flaws. I won't be flying tall buildings anymore.

Same thing happen to me. Lost connect 3 weeks ago while flying a helipad at Downtown LA.
Luckily the security guy found my drone. Totally crash. But I got it back and send it in to DJi for fixing.
It lost signal due to all the high rises.
I'm so sorry for your lost :(
This much be very disappointing for you.
Dji Phantom has flaws. I won't be flying tall buildings anymore.

You also expect the Phantom radio control system to defy the laws of physics? If so then you really need to pick a much less mentally demanding hobby.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT