Lost connection, crash, lost drone.

Fair enough. But I still suspect that the township is just following their procedures. Here that work would require a valid work order request, which would be reviewed by a work planner for scope, then a safety review, and then it would be assigned to a certified work team. No third-party personnel would be allowed unless they were also certified - such as engineers for the companies with equipment on the tower.

Which my third party is certified.

Precisely. The only reason why the tower is gated is to keep people from going up there, the door at the bottom is locked, and clearly there are tennants using it as a cell tower. That being said, I have made every possible accommodation to the township, paying out of my own pocket, a licensed and insured tower climber, that has BEEN ON THAT VERY SAME TOWER BEFORE.

The township wants a "work order". Which is their way of trying to get me to pay for the next service of those antenna... and that is bullcrap.
Yes agreed that they are making it overly difficult and burdensome. That is unfortunately how many townships operate. Everything is for maximum possible pain to the residents.

As to the trespassing I was not referring to you going up there to get it, since you are trying to do it the proper way. I was referring to the drone itself "landing" on the water tower. Yes it is public property and "belongs to the citizens", but it is gated. I am not a lawyer so I don't know the legalities but I can imagine that they don't want foreign entities landing on township property. Your case was perfectly benign but the next one may not be.

Have your contractor friend draw up a work order for a free antenna inspection; take it over to the cell phone company, and have them sign it.

Reactions: Rodee34
BTW, I appreciate all of your input and assistance, helpful or not :p. I try and do the right thing, be a good person, just can't stand silliness of somethings.

Reactions: sar104
Get a drop system for the second Phantom and tie a string to it with a hook on the end. That way if it's lodged in you can release the string and fly away

If I had a second Phantom, I would have it down already.... but I have an Air. Cant carry anything with that.

That guy decided too risky
I would agree about it being too risky:
  • If you use a grappling hook, it may accidentally get caught on one of those cables or pipes and then his drone will be stuck.
  • Even for another Phantom 4 Pro, the payload would still be beyond its rating. Your Phantom 4 Pro without battery weighs just about 2 pounds. Yes another Phantom 4 Pro can lift that weight, but with 2 pounds of dead weight hanging a few feet below it every little movement will cause oscillations.
  • If your drone is actually stuck against those cables (it doesn't look like it but you never know) then the other drone won't be able to pull it loose.
Have you attempted flying your MA up there to get some much better close-up pictures of the P4P and how it is lodged there?

It would be an interesting salvage operation to perform or watch.

I don't even care if they knock the drone down. As long as I can recover it DJI will honor the refresh.

Attachments

• tower.jpg
    tower.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 267
Good view there. Didn't even lose a prop! Looks like two of the arms/props are hooked under a thin cable. I guess if you can grapple the top-most leg of the P4P, it should slide up and out.

Good view there. Didn't even lose a prop! Looks like two of the arms/props are hooked under a thin cable. I guess if you can grapple the top-most leg of the P4P, it should slide up and out.

I stopped by the township office today. The administrator was a very nice lady. She said the solicitor was worried about damage to the tower. I explained what happened and how the bird impacted, it never hit the antenna.

She said put in a written request with the COIs for the guys, she will forward up.

Also told me someone may be going up anyway for service and may grab it.

Finally some movement.

OK so I always try to look at both sides of an issue. Very true that you have done your due diligence to find an equitable solution that is minimal work and no cost for the township. However I can see their side of it too. It's not just them being jerks (and believe me I hate government bureaucracy).

First, you crashed your drone into their property. No one asked you to fly around, over, or into their water tower. The blame for the accident is squarely on your shoulders.

Second I don't believe they have any obligation to climb up there for you to retrieve your property, or allow others to perform a risky retrieval process. I could be wrong on the legal responsibilities here.

Third as others have said, I would seriously consider just writing it off as a learning experience and not pursue it. The township could get more upset and hit you with fines. Technically I think they could even consider it trespassing.

It is sad that there is no easy way to retrieve it, but there is blame on both sides here.
I think this may be the most sane post on this thread. :). I don’t like bureaucrats either. But I’m their shoes, this is just a nuisance to them. Something like this is frought with legal wrinkles despite whether you have someone with insurance and creds. For example even in the simplest case the insurance policy probably needs to be read by the bureaucrats and they will likely ask for “named insureds” to be added. Why would they want to bother? What’s their incentive. It’s not very nice and neighborly. But predictable. There is some risk as soon as they approve anything. I’m sure the work order is also a CYA measure. Not a money issue. My guess is that this is like swatting flies for them. There is nothing in it for them to help you. Lazy? Yes. Unprecedented? No.

This is starting to feel a little Quixotic to me.

I stopped by the township office today. The administrator was a very nice lady. She said the solicitor was worried about damage to the tower. I explained what happened and how the bird impacted, it never hit the antenna.

She said put in a written request with the COIs for the guys, she will forward up.

Also told me someone may be going up anyway for service and may grab it.

Finally some movement.
Great news. Your persistence seems to be paying off. I guess I need to retract my Quixotic comment. ;)

Reactions: Tenisyn
Great news. Your persistence seems to be paying off. I guess I need to retract my Quixotic comment. ;)
Of course thier going to make him cry. Next month they will propose a law about no more drones in the township. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes the front page of the local paper.

Of course thier going to make him cry. Next month they will propose a law about no more drones in the township. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes the front page of the local paper.

Not sure what that even means, them proposing a law about no more drones would never pass, nor would it make me cry. The City Administrator was super understanding.... it was the Water and Sewer guy who was trying to puff his chest and act all tough, when in reality he was simply being unrealistic. The whole issue was liability... I solved that issue for them, at no cost to them.

Either way... the drone will come down, and everything will be just fine.

So, they are estimating another month before anyone goes up.

I am contemplating picking up a cheapo drone, just to hook it and pull it back off.... don't care if they both come down... I've seen decent sized drones on Facebook marketplace, seem like they would be good enough to get the job done.

Any recommendations?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31