Loss of signal causes app to close

Reaction score
So I am flying today for the first time with the updated app and latest firmware with the iPad mini 4. I fly up 600-800ft and out maybe 2500ft, I lose signal because I am holding the remote up to block the sun and my antenna are pointed up instead of down. So I lose signal three or for times, every time I lost signal, the app closed. I could tap the DJI icon and open it back up immediately and get a blank screen with just the telemetry and no video, but it did not indicate a RTH or position, light on controller was red. So I just waited hoping it does it's thing and starts heading back. Which it did all three times. I have never had this happen before.
It is a good thing I waited instead of pushing the RTH button on the remote, which might have cancelled the auto RTH and it would have just hovered there I guess until the battery got low and it RTH or auto landed. Has this happened to anyone else? I have never had the app close itself with the iPad, Once with the K1 and I think that was because I had bought a cheap coiled cable to try and i think it was the cable. But Iwas using my trusted Anker 1ft cable with the iPad.
Also, in the flight records, the app did not record any of the flight (video recorded on the SD card the whole flight) before the disconnects, just the last part of the flight where I regained signal and landed. The flight record that is shown has the flight starting 2000ft away from where I started ( where I regained signal). Odd.
I will test with my Shield K1 and see if the same thing happens.
Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall the app.

My only thought is the iPad Mini overheated and shut down to cool off. Is this possible?
My first iPad Mini2 was prone to this, and I returned it, happily exchanged for the iPad Air2, never to look back.

RedHotPoker

My only thought is the iPad Mini overheated and shut down to cool off. Is this possible?
My first iPad Mini2 was prone to this, and I returned it, happily exchanged for the iPad Air2, never to look back.

RedHotPoker
No, It is pretty cool out and I was only flying for a couple minutes. I have flown in 95+ heat for 15-17 minutes on prior flights without a glitch. The odd thing to point out is that it closed every single time I lost signal. The app displayed CONTROL SIGNAL LOST, then the app would close three seconds later. It did this exact same thing three times in a row. I would reopen the app, get a signal, cancel RTH, try to fly a little farther out, lose signal, get the lost signal warning and then the app would close. Once I regained signal for the last time and flew it back, the app never closed again. I flew LOS for another 8 or so minutes no issues.
Side note. It seems since the latest update my signal or range has decreased quite a bit. But I need to do more testing to be sure.

Try flying your drone in a different place too. Find another park, sport field or quiet countryside even. Perhaps it's the area, and not the drone, or app...

RedHotPoker

I will do that. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. I am headed out to try it again.
I just took it out using the Shield K1, It is still stopping the recording after 10 seconds or so, I can restart it immediately now using the SD card that came with the quad, I was using a SanDisk and it would stop but I could not restart the recording for 30 seconds or so. I formatted them and it still does it. All of this immediately after the latest firmware. I put off updating for a month to see what the bugs were. It was perfect before. Oh well, maybe it will work the bugs out itself.
I am disliking the Nvidia Shield K1 more and more. I have a hell of a time seeing the screen in any sort of daylight with a anti glare cover and a sunshield. I do not feel confident flying with it like I do the iPad. But the GPS is a plus. I guess I will just use it for night flying or when I need the GPS.

What version software ?

I have last weeks go app, never had problem with iPad mini 4

RedHotPoker
I have seen some Apple phones lock up when they overheat. After a few minutes they come back to life. If it was hot outside and the device was hot it is possible this is what happened.

So I am flying today for the first time with the updated app and latest firmware with the iPad mini 4. I fly up 600-800ft and out maybe 2500ft, I lose signal because I am holding the remote up to block the sun and my antenna are pointed up instead of down. So I lose signal three or for times, every time I lost signal, the app closed. I could tap the DJI icon and open it back up immediately and get a blank screen with just the telemetry and no video, but it did not indicate a RTH or position, light on controller was red. So I just waited hoping it does it's thing and starts heading back. Which it did all three times. I have never had this happen before.
It is a good thing I waited instead of pushing the RTH button on the remote, which might have cancelled the auto RTH and it would have just hovered there I guess until the battery got low and it RTH or auto landed. Has this happened to anyone else? I have never had the app close itself with the iPad, Once with the K1 and I think that was because I had bought a cheap coiled cable to try and i think it was the cable. But Iwas using my trusted Anker 1ft cable with the iPad.
Also, in the flight records, the app did not record any of the flight (video recorded on the SD card the whole flight) before the disconnects, just the last part of the flight where I regained signal and landed. The flight record that is shown has the flight starting 2000ft away from where I started ( where I regained signal). Odd.
I will test with my Shield K1 and see if the same thing happens.
Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall the app.

I hate it when that happens.

I have seen some Apple phones lock up when they overheat. After a few minutes they come back to life. If it was hot outside and the device was hot it is possible this is what happened.
No, it wasn't to hot, and it only happened the first few minutes of the flight, every time I lost signal, and only when I lost signal. The iPad didn't cut off or lock up. Just the GO app closed, I immediately opened it back up and seconds later got a signal, when I tried again to go further, I lost signal and the app closed. I immediately was able to reopen the app and a few seconds later regain signal. This happened three times in a row. After I gave up trying to go out farther, I brought it back and it stayed connected and the app stayed open. I then flew around another 10-15 minutes with no disconnecting and no app closure.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl