Looking for Constructive Feedback

Reaction score
Hey guys!
This is the first cut of a project I'm working on as a part of a class. I would love some feedback on what works for you and what doesn't. What you liked and didn't like, etc. Is there anything you'd like to see more of, less of?
This is my first real attempt at editing and I've only been piloting a few months, so there is much to be desired and learned :p
(The prop guards dip in frame a couple of times. Those will be removed in a later cut.)

Thanks!

Time lapses shot with 5D Mark III and GoPro Black Hero 3+
Aerial videos shot with DJI Phantom 1 with a Zenmuse H3-2D, GoPro Black Hero 3+ at 24fps 2.7k
Cut in Premiere Pro CS6 and After Effects CS6

Music by Lindsey Stirling, Song Elements
(Please excuse the music cuts. This is just a temp track and not cut to sound.)

http://vimeo.com/90603366

I find it really hard to comment on this, and I am not normally stuck for words. A film is a personal view of the world from your viewpoint. You have to judge what are the shots worthy of inclusion and in what order not offer a pick and mix to the audience.

You say its a temp track and its not cut to the music so why is it even there ? The music is your source of energy and emotion and the images re-enforce that. Cut the video to the intended track and get it in a state where you can do no more, then offer it for feedback.

I wish you well in your project, you have some good shots but at the moment its just a jumble with a frenetic track which is all one pace. I have no wish to offend you, I am just commenting on what I have seen so far.

I like EDM music so of course I like Lindsay's music.

This video makes me wish I lived near the beach so I could get cooler shots!

For me, the only clips I didn't necessarily care for were the top down shots of the waves. I like seeing further out. Also one time lapse with the boats in the distance seemed a bit too long compared to the others.

great work! Kudos

I like it, I thought a few of the transitions were too harsh and would suit a smoother but quick cut from one scene to the other, also the rotation above the boats a little to quick for me to focus on any individual boat , overall nice.

Caitlin

there are some good shots in the mix; a couple of comments:

From a composition perspective think of a story you want to tell, take the user on a journey through the medium of the film, perhaps through linked scenes using dissolves to show transition in time and space

I like time lapses but they are quite passe these days, use them sparingly and in context, for instance a sunset at the end works well to show the end of the day

Quads etc are notoriously unstable, this translates into the video, so spend some time on software stabilisation in post production

Use the aerial shots to enhance the storyline, think of what you want to film, have a few goes, takes loads of footage and dump huge amounts on the cutting room flow

In terms of time, I tend to think that 3 minutes is the limit of someone watching a scenic video, if you get bored watching a long scene then so will the audience

In terms of cutting to music, flowing, soft films deserve flowing music with soft edits such as dissolves , fast tracks with pace move along with hard edits.

Have a look at some of the stuff we've all done, we start off somewhere and learn as we go, I got lucky early on with some stuff I just needed to film, also my quad went back to DJI for 5 weeks so I had lots of time to plan what I wanted.

Also spend lots of time practising flying and get a feel for the camera and quad working in unison, I took lots of footage on goalposts on sports fields before I felt confident with a subject.

hope this all helps, and good luck with it, you have an eye for a good shot, with some practice it'll come together

Dave Black

http://daveblack.me

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj