Longest range??

holy crap, my max distance is only like 2270ft before RC signal lost, hence the top line in my flight in this pic below, what program is that your running litchi ? or is that a new fancy DJI go app, RohanM that antenna in your profile pic, what is that thing, and are you a P3S ? if so can you provide a link where i can get that thing?! now my video signal was rock solid all the way, it actually outlasted the RC signal, i swapped back to the tall stick ArgTek one and got better range, but only by a few feet, and being omni, better signal when i lost sight of it over the hill there. my altitude was about 250-300 ft,but it dropped to 150 as that hill at the top of this pic is about 150ft tall from my launch position. as i stated above in my pre posts, i fly in cemetery so i feel safer, and can see more, and less interference signals. i take it my max distance on this pic is the cumulative result of the entire flight, but it was only like 16 mins. low battery warning kicked in at 30% and landed with 18%

also doesn't the P34k use light bridge? not the wifi poo of the P3s ?

~! View attachment 101151
Magic Power 5 set to 20 dbm for 2.4ghz signal
New shielded cables inside controller - SMA / RP-SMA external connections
3 X Alfa APA M25 antenna
2 watt Sunhans 5 ghz electronic booster
2 X 2.5 watt Sunhans 2.4ghz booster
DC 12680 battery
Cable to connect battery to the 3 Sunhans boosters etc
Litchi

DBS Itelite is way overpriced and produces a very narrow field of signal

Last edited:
wow indeed, that RC setup costs more than my entire drone did. lol, maybe i just upgrade to Phantom4 adv or something since the prices are dropping.

Reactions: Rohanm
maybe i just upgrade to Phantom4 adv or something since the prices are dropping.

All things being equal, there are going to be inherrent range limitations with a P3S without investing some sizeable money. As you mentioned, you might be better off in the long run investing the money in a P4. I've gotten roughly 3.5 miles with my unmodded P4, although I think there's potential for more. My all-time best range with my unmodded P3S was 9000'+. If you've got the money, consider the P4A for the better camera. Good luck.

All things being equal, there are going to be inherrent range limitations with a P3S without investing some sizeable money. As you mentioned, you might be better off in the long run investing the money in a P4. I've gotten roughly 3.5 miles with my unmodded P4, although I think there's potential for more. My all-time best range with my unmodded P3S was 9000'+. If you've got the money, consider the P4A for the better camera. Good luck.

You have a point regarding the camera - overcoming the limitations of the P3S was the motivating factor.
I now have a drone which will travel a distance and drop objects at distance.
Quite a device

View attachment 101188 View attachment 101187

holy crap, my max distance is only like 2270ft before RC signal lost, hence the top line in my flight in this pic below, what program is that your running litchi ? or is that a new fancy DJI go app, RohanM that antenna in your profile pic, what is that thing, and are you a P3S ? if so can you provide a link where i can get that thing?! now my video signal was rock solid all the way, it actually outlasted the RC signal, i swapped back to the tall stick ArgTek one and got better range, but only by a few feet, and being omni, better signal when i lost sight of it over the hill there. my altitude was about 250-300 ft,but it dropped to 150 as that hill at the top of this pic is about 150ft tall from my launch position. as i stated above in my pre posts, i fly in cemetery so i feel safer, and can see more, and less interference signals. i take it my max distance on this pic is the cumulative result of the entire flight, but it was only like 16 mins. low battery warning kicked in at 30% and landed with 18%

also doesn't the P34k use light bridge? not the wifi poo of the P3s ?

~! View attachment 101151
Don't underestimate the capabilities of the 'WIFI poo' on the P3S - properly configured and boosted, it will go the distance

You have a point regarding the camera - overcoming the limitations of the P3S was the motivating factor.

Yeah, I'm at that point now where I'm waiting for the P4A prices to drop enough so I can get the better camera and then sell my P4. Price is the only thing standing in.my way right now.

Don't underestimate the capabilities of the 'WIFI poo' on the P3S - properly configured and boosted, it will go the distance

I don't. I recognize the P3S for what it is, a proven, entry level machine at an affordable price. All things considered, it's a remarkable machine. It's never failed me during the past two years or so in spite of my errors, and has performed well beyond any advertised spec. It has its limitations (boosted or stock) but, then, I recognize it for what it is rather than what it's not. I have absolutely no complaints with it. Rather than dump a lot of money into upgrading it, I chose to invest in a P4 instead.

Last edited:
Since people are talking about their amplified set-up I thought I would share mine for the Phantom 3 4K (although a basically identical set-up would also work just as well for the Standard). My objective was to get the longest range possible (rural and urban) in a minimal envelope - specifically, the RC needed to fit in my hard drone case which was designed to fit the stock RC only. Also, I wanted to make the RC modifications completely reversible, i.e. no drilling. And, the RC needed to be comfortable to hold while flying.

Starting point was the ARGtek three-SMA breakout mount, to which I added a 4Hawks Raptor SR antenna, which offers improved performance (9 dBi gain for 2.4 GHz, 14 dBi gain for 5.8 GHz vs. 7 dBi/10 dBi for the ARGtek antennas). Amplifiers are 2x 2.4GHz 3W Sunhans (measured output 32 dBm) plus 1x 5.8GHz 4W REXUAV (measured output 35.5 dBm). Battery is a 3S 3000mAh lithium ion pack from REXUAV which powers the whole set-up for around 2+ hours or 5 flights. I also included a battery monitor to give me voltage/current and % charge remaining read-outs continuously while powered up. Mounts are my own acrylic laser-cut design, made at a local shop.

Set-up runs both 2.4GHz downlink and 5.8GHz uplink in FCC mode, on channel 13.

Achieved range is to the limits of the battery in an open environment (20,000ft out, 20,000ft back) with no measurable signal degradation, and around 12,000ft each way in an urban environment. I have excellent eyesight.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

-Adrian

View attachment 97226 View attachment 97227 View attachment 97225 View attachment 97224 View attachment 97228

That is certainly the way to go ...to the limits of the battery

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.