Long Read, Frustration Abounds, Help a Fella Out!

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have combed the corners of the earth with this issue and have found nothing. I have however found a wealth of other knowledge. I purchased a second hand P3P from a fella on RCGroups. He had obtained it in a lot, was an older gentleman who flies planes and did not have a phone modern enough to test app comparability. Good enough, we strike a deal and ships it on over. During transport the gimbal clamp came loose and the unit beat itself all to heck. Roll arm detached, ribbon cable yanked out.

I put the motor back together and got the ribbon cable placed back and of course there is no video. It tries to calibrate but cannot due to many reasons I suspect. I purchased a whole separate used unit from a well rated seller on Ebay that stated tested and functional. It looks good, no damage or anything of concern.

I swapped it over and I get nothing from this one either. It doesn't even try to calibrate. The app does give me a gimbal roll and tilt error. I cannot update firmware with either gimbal. One will make a log of firmware update failed over and over and the other won't even write a log. I should not that both gimbals have a rapid blinking green light on the status LED which I cannot find listed anywhere and DJI surely was not able to tell me about.

When I first received the unit the fan on the broken gimbal would turn on with the unit. The new one does not and now the old one does not either. No external signs or symptoms of a crash or hard landing of the unit and it flies great.

It should be noted that I could get no app connection so I upgraded to the HDMI module and it now connects fine.

Should I crack it open to see if something is loose regarding internal connectors?

I can return the gimbal/camera unit that I purchased on Ebay.

What do you guys think?

Hello @BiffordT and welcome to the Phantom Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members are from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://phantompilots.com/account/personal-details

Safe Flights!
Allen

Reactions: BiffordT
Every Phantom 3 should start and fly properly even with detached gimbal; are your drones flying? Check that. If not, you may have to solve these issues separately to gimbal issues.

The RCGroups gimbal:
That would be the first time I heard about flat flex wire detaching by itself. It does not happen. If the wire was properly assembled, it would break.

The Ebay gimbal:
Make sure there is no physical resistance when you move the arms.

You should describe issue with each gimbal separately, in a different paragraph. I already can't remember what you wrote about each.

Sorry, I know it is a long and convoluted tale.

It flies fine and connects to the app fine with no gimbal attached.

The flex cable detached itself because the roll motor separated so it was flopping around in the case.

The Ebay gimbal moves smooth and easy with no outward signs of damage or abuse.

Ok then, could you describe the issue with each gimbal?

Also, for the one which produced update log, you should probably post it.

We'll also need firmware version of the drone reported by mobile app.

Okay.
Gimbal that came on the unit; tries to initialize, makes some movement then quits. GImbal LED flashing green rapidly. Firmware update failure in log, no other messages. Fan does not run when unit powers up (It did previously). This is the one that was separated at roll motor as well as flex cable being pulled out of roll motor.

Gimbal from Ebay; no attempt to initialize, will not update firmware, will not generate log, fan does not run.

I will get the log info posted when I get home but it only shows firmware update error. I will also post firmware version (I don't remember what it was but it was older).

Thanks for the help so far.

RCGroups gimbal:

I will get the log info posted when I get home but it only shows firmware update error.

No no.. we need the log from hidden folder, not the one which doesn't tell anything.

Ebay gimbal:

I assume the diode never blinks as well? If it is so, the most likely cause is a damaged power converter on Top Gimbal Board.
The power converter receives 12V from ESC center board and converts it to 5V, which is then used to power both video acquisition and gimbal arms.
How's your electronics/soldering skill?

RCGroups gimbal:

No no.. we need the log from hidden folder, not the one which doesn't tell anything.

Ebay gimbal:

I assume the diode never blinks as well? If it is so, the most likely cause is a damaged power converter on Top Gimbal Board.
The power converter receives 12V from ESC center board and converts it to 5V, which is then used to power both video acquisition and gimbal arms.
How's your electronics/soldering skill?

Yes, that is the log from the hidden file. I am not getting any more info from it than that. The diode on the Ebay gimbal also blinks rapid green. I can solder alright but do not have the equipment for reflow or real small stuff.

I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me. I understand the hidden folder with the log file in it. The only the log file shows is the firmware errors? How can I make it give me more log information? I have not flown it with either gimbal on by the way.

[00000834][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000835][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000833][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000835][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000834][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000962][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000680][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000681][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000681][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000679][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).
[00000680][01 00] Firmware upgrade finished failed (step = 3, err = 0xffffffff).

There is only one log file and this is all it shows.

RC firmware version 1.5.80

AC firmware version

App version 3.1.28

Is that the whole log? only this?

Not much info, but it does state that the problem is m0100.

Usually the logs have headers and info about communication to other modules. Without these, that's all i can tell.

Perhaps I should try flying with the gimbal attached for a minute to generate more info?

The log generates only when you start the drone with sd-card containing firmware.
It will still generate if the firmware inserted is old and doesn't allow the update to be performed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj