Litchi multi-battery mission

Reaction score
We have recently purchased a Phantom 4 Pro Plus for conducting topographical surveys at our regional landfill. I am trying to use Litchi to run the flight plan developed with the DJI Flight Planner software. The missions we will need to fly are too long to complete on a single battery. Is there a way to pause the mission, return the drone to home, replace the drone battery, then resume the mission? I have tried the steps I just outlined by pressing the pause button on the Litchi app, and then returning the drone home for the battery swap, but it always wants to re-start the whole mission. Please help!

First off WELCOME to our forum @Swanee

I am not aware of a PowerCycle option in Litchi to allow it to re-start the mission after a power cycle (battery swap). I could be wrong though so hopefully others can give more detailed input on that specific question.

Have you looked into other aps that offer more specific features that might work better like MapsMadeEasy or DroneDeploy? Both allow for multi-battery missions.

First off WELCOME to our forum @Swanee

I am not aware of a PowerCycle option in Litchi to allow it to re-start the mission after a power cycle (battery swap). I could be wrong though so hopefully others can give more detailed input on that specific question.

Have you looked into other aps that offer more specific features that might work better like MapsMadeEasy or DroneDeploy? Both allow for multi-battery missions.
We have used Trimble equipment exclusively for 10 years to conduct all of our topographical surveys. This was all done using GPS rovers mounted on ATVs, tractors, or simply on foot. Our software is Trimble BC-HCE which we like, and are very familiar with. Therefore, when we decided to begin surveying via drone, we wanted to stay with as much Trimble hardware and software as possible (without paying $20,000 for their drone). We have a local Trimble dealer here who is, sadly, as much or more of a novice as I, when it comes to conducting aerial surveys. Trimble BC-HCE has photogrammetric processing capability built into it, and we own the necessary modules to process aerial images. Both DroneDeploy and MapsMadeEasy feature cloud-based processing on a subscription, or pay-as-you-go basis. We would rather just purchase the software we need and own it, with no recurring fees or charges. On the recommendation of our Trimble dealer, we have purchased the drone, will likely purchase DJI Flight Planner (currently using free trial version), and have purchased the Litchi app. These things seem to be working together fairly well, and all would be fine, if we could just get the Litchi app to cooperate, and allow a battery swap during a mission.

You can "Acquire" your data for FREE with MME or DD. Since you're processing in house already you would have no additional costs and be able to use the right software for the job.

Hmmm. Interesting. Perhaps I should look into this. Does DroneDeploy do all the flight planning as well, or would I continue to use DJI Flight Planner to develop the flight plan, then use DroneDeploy as the app to command the drone? Thanks for your help, by the way.

Hmmm. Interesting. Perhaps I should look into this. Does DroneDeploy do all the flight planning as well, or would I continue to use DJI Flight Planner to develop the flight plan, then use DroneDeploy as the app to command the drone? Thanks for your help, by the way.

Either APP handles the flight aspect of the aircraft. You "Create" the mission on screen and then upload it to the aircraft. Once uploaded you launch the mission and watch the aircraft do it's thing. Upon battery exhaustion (you set the battery parameters so watch what you put in there) it will return back to home where you swap out batteries and then return to the mission. It's pretty easy and works smoothly or it has for us.

You're very welcome. We like to help when we can.

By all means check them both out. FREE and works great.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots from Dayton Ohio!
I agree with @BigAl07 I use DroneDeploy for capture and use Maps Made Easy for processing, or I process locally using Agisoft Photoscan Pro. I have never had an issue with swapping out batteries mid-mission, the missions have always resumed perfectly after the swap.
Fly safe!

Thanks ryantrax! It appears that MME is for iOS only. Since we have a P4P+ with the built-in Android device, this eliminates MME as an option. I am trying to get DD via the Google Play store, but am having a little trouble. I have heard others experiencing issues using Google Play apps on the GL300E tablet which is installed on the DJI controller. Hopefully, I can muddle through to success...

Thanks ryantrax! It appears that MME is for iOS only. Since we have a P4P+ with the built-in Android device, this eliminates MME as an option. I am trying to get DD via the Google Play store, but am having a little trouble. I have heard others experiencing issues using Google Play apps on the GL300E tablet which is installed on the DJI controller. Hopefully, I can muddle through to success...
I capture using DroneDeploy then process on the PC using MME. I don't use the MME app either as I use the CrystalSky monitor which is Android based. I process using MME because it is a Pay-As-You-Go service instead of a subscription.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4