Litchi Magic Leash

Reaction score
Hello all,

Could those of you who use Litchi check on your app to see if the Magic Leash functions please? You need to switch to Follow mode then bring up the Follow Settings pop-up window. The Magic Leash it activated by pressing the LItchi logo in the top left corner of the pop-up window. It should spin and attempt to pair with another device.

I'm running it on an Android device app version 4.10.0 and it does not work (hitting the logo just very briefly flashes up the work 'connecting' next to it, in dark blue so its difficult to see).

If yours isn't working too could you do me another favour and report it using the support button on the app store please. Its literally the only reason I bought Litchi (and another phone!) so its pretty annoying that it doesn't work!

Many thanks

HI MarkP90,

I believe I am running the same version of Litchi and just tested this. (4.10.0-g)

When I click the icon from the Follow Settings pop-up, the icon starts to spin, the blue text shows "WAITING" and a message box appears - Magic Leash PIN:xxxx

I assume I would enter this PIN on the device I want to follow, so it would appear to be working.
I'll dig out another device to see if I can connect with the Magic Leash app and let you know.

Best regards,
Tommy.

Reactions: MarkP90
Hi Mark & Tom, I don’t think the Litchi Leash is available for iOS but I checked the iPhone app and I am basically getting the same “Enter PIN” rigmarole as you Tom.
I don’t have a Phantom flight ready to fully check but can only suggest you try getting the PIN from the control phone and then start up the Litchi Leash on your other track phone and enter the PIN.
HTH at least part of the way to the solution.

Might be me having an Old Grey Moment about iOS? ;)

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for checking, looks like its working fine on your device then! Very frustrating! Can you tell me what device you're using please?

Mine is a Redmi Note 5 which is on the 'approved' DJI list for their app so I assumed it would work on mine too....

EDIT: @AuldGimpy - No you are correct you cannot use an IOS device for the master control/with the RC but you can use them as the device to be followed. The message for the PIN is the correct procedure. You would then activate the Magic Leash app on the device you would want to be Followed, enter the PIN and the devices pair up. Unfortunately on mine it doesn't work. May have to try uninstalling, then reinstalling.

NOTE: Admins - apologies for putting this in the wrong forum section!

Yes Mark, it is definitely working with a Huawei P9 lite for me, Android 6.0.
I tested the link to magic leash on another device and it connected fine

I hope there is a simple solution for you.
The Redmi Note 5 looks up to specification.

Do you have DJI GO on the same device? It shouldn't make any difference, but I have both DJI GO and DJI GO 4 on the P9.
Are all the permissions enabled for Litchi in the Android application settings?
Not sure what more to suggest. Could some other app be in conflict, preventing the pin message from being displayed?
Good luck,
Tommy.

Well just before I went to uninstall it last night I had a quick check and all of a sudden its working properly now!? Doesn't fill me full of confidence for its use but at least I can start trying it out now to see if it will be useful for what I need it for.

Thanks for the input guys :)

Reactions: AuldGimpy
Annnd i've realised what the actual problem was. I didn't have an internet signal where i was originally trying to fly.... Considering you're most likely to be using this feature off-the-beat-track/middle of nowhere this is a pretty stupid requirement!

Does anyone know why internet connection (on both phones i may add) is required? Is it just to get the PIN code to pair them or does the connection to the net have to remain in place while using it? i.e. could you pair the phones at home before you go to where you want to fly, or is the internet connection required to keep them paired? If the latter, I wonder what happens if you suddenly lost the internet connection....

And what level of connection is required, 4G, 3G, EDGE!? Aarrggh!

Yes Mark,

Both mobile devices must be connected to the internet for Magic Leash to work.
I'm not sure if there is a minimum level of connection, but I don't imagine a high speed connection is required.

However, in an area with limited or no mobile data connection, I'd expect it to be either unreliable or not work at all.
Magic leash communicates its device GPS location with Litchi over the internet, and will not work without both devices connected.

A mobile network coverage map of the area you intend flying should indicate whether you can expect mobile data to be available.

Hopefully you'll find more places have coverage than not, but it will depend on just how far away from a populated area you are.

Best of luck,
Tommy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic