Litchi and Phantom 4 and some other basic questions

Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to flying quadcopters, especially one like the Phantom 4 that has so much "computer" help. I've been saving my questions and I apologize if they have already been asked and answered. I've got about 40 flights using the DJI Go app and recently installed Litchi. I've read the Litchi manual, watched the You Tube videos and made a few conservative flights with it - none yet that have been previously set up with waypoints. But, I'm getting braver and may soon try one.
My questions:
1. To exit a mission, the manual says to flip to "Sport Mode". When I do this, using Litchi, will the Phantom fly as it does in Sport mode when using the DJI app, i.e., fast?
2. Can the Phantom be brought down by bringing the left stick all the way down? That's how I shut the motors off when a flight is finished and I don't want to shut the motors off while still flying so I typically bring it down slowly, only moving the left stick down about half way.
3. Do I have to notify DJI that I'm using the Litchi app in order not to void any warranties?
4. I think I've read that when in Sport mode, the Phantom 4 continues to use GPS. How about forward object avoidance? I've not seen the warning lines like on DJI Go.
5. When going between waypoints with Litchi and with the camera programmed to film a POI, the Phantom may have to fly sideways. Correct?
6. I've only been brave enough to fly out to 1500 feet. How far will the camera link work to assuming that I keep the copter in visual sight? (I can't see it well past that and need the camera link to know which way I'm flying.)
7. My batteries heat up to 140 or higher during a 18 to 20 minute flight according to Healthy Drones. The graph says that's really hot - is it? I live in NW Montana and it's definitely not that warm here. If it is too hot, what can I do about it? I have 2 batteries and both of them get that warm.
8. When flying, can I flip between modes without harm or creating any type of hazardous flying conditions?

That's about all for now. I realize there is more than one topic I'm asking about and if necessary I can break the questions up if I'm violating any rules.
Thank you for your help.
Don

My questions:

2. Can the Phantom be brought down by bringing the left stick all the way down? That's how I shut the motors off when a flight is finished and I don't want to shut the motors off while still flying so I typically bring it down slowly, only moving the left stick down about half way.
3. Do I have to notify DJI that I'm using the Litchi app in order not to void any warranties?
4. I think I've read that when in Sport mode, the Phantom 4 continues to use GPS. How about forward object avoidance? I've not seen the warning lines like on DJI Go.
6. I've only been brave enough to fly out to 1500 feet. How far will the camera link work to assuming that I keep the copter in visual sight? (I can't see it well past that and need the camera link to know which way I'm flying.)
7. My batteries heat up to 140 or higher during a 18 to 20 minute flight according to Healthy Drones. The graph says that's really hot - is it? I live in NW Montana and it's definitely not that warm here. If it is too hot, what can I do about it? I have 2 batteries and both of them get that warm.
2. Left stick down will never kill the motors when your Phantom is in flight.
It is the normal method for descending.
3. No
4. No ... because of the angle of tilt when flying fast, object avoidance would not work .. (the sensors won't be looking forward)
6. Distances vary with environmental conditions, interference, antenna angles etc. There's no simple answer but in optimum conditions you can get the advertised distance.
7. DJI designed the P4 with an internal fan and slots in the batteries to deal wit this.

1. To exit a mission, the manual says to flip to "Sport Mode". When I do this, using Litchi, will the Phantom fly as it does in Sport mode when using the DJI app, i.e., fast?
Don

Yes it will fly fast in sport mode, but it's the change of mode that takes control back from Litchi, so you can just flip briefly to S mode then back to P mode, Litchi will still be disconnected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.