Lipo batteries on airplanes.

Reaction score
I know you can't store lipo batteries in checked luggage, they have to be in carry on. But I have heard conflicting stories about how to store them in carry on luggage. I've some people say that each battery has to be in its own lipo safe pouch and I've heard others say they can be stored in their normal slots in the drone case as long as the contacts are covered to prevent short circuits. Anybody know which is true or have real world experience? I don't want any problems when I get to the airport. Thanks in advance.

Have you viewed the TSA and or your chosen Airline's website?

Requirements can change and may vary by carrier.

I know you can't store lipo batteries in checked luggage, they have to be in carry on. But I have heard conflicting stories about how to store them in carry on luggage. I've some people say that each battery has to be in its own lipo safe pouch and I've heard others say they can be stored in their normal slots in the drone case as long as the contacts are covered to prevent short circuits. Anybody know which is true or have real world experience? I don't want any problems when I get to the airport. Thanks in advance.
No airline or Airport security people have ever asked for Lipo bags.
The DJI battery design pretty well prevents accidental short circuits but you could put tape over the contacts if it makes you feel better.
If they are in the slots in your case, there is no way they are going to short out.

G'day
I have flown on QANTAS with small drone (syma x5sc) so i had to find out about what you are allowed, is seems with quatas you can carry on batteries equaling a certern anount of power (milliamps per hour(mAh), i.e. one battery with say 500mAh and two with 300mAh(note, not correct figures). Hope tha helps, I seggest you have a look on the airline website that you are flying with.

I have flown with multiple DJIs with multiple batteries almost every week for the last 3 years. 50% of the time it gets pulled for an additional inspection (visual and/or swabbed) but never has the TSA or airline questioned the batteries.

Disclaimer:
Airlines flown - Delta, United, American, Southwest
Airports flown out of - JFK, LAS, LAX, EWR, DAL, SJU, ORL, ORD, MSP, SEA, RDU, LGA, ABQ, ATL

I have flown with multiple DJIs with multiple batteries almost every week for the last 3 years. 50% of the time it gets pulled for an additional inspection (visual and/or swabbed) but never has the TSA or airline questioned the batteries.

Disclaimer:
Airlines flown - Delta, United, American, Southwest
Airports flown out of - JFK, LAS, LAX, EWR, DAL, SJU, ORL, ORD, MSP, SEA, RDU, LGA, ABQ, ATL
Did you bring the batteries with you, or did you check in the drone and batteries together?

I fly every two weeks and carry all my camera equipment in one Manfrotto bag (except my 2.8 telephoto which is in my carry on). I have 4 batteries in the same bag with drone, remote, go pro and NIkon D-500. I fly out of DEN, OMA, ORL, MLB, CLT, ATL, and Houston and Dallas. My experience echo tectonic, other than I've only had secondary inspection 10% of the time. I fly Delta, Frontier, American, Southwest and United. Honestly, I have never had a single issue at flying domestically.

Reactions: tml4191
Here are some photos.
35e818f9f49b6408f1efd0bd0a02b637.jpg
cc5824ae4467faf2927df078b5aa5969.jpg
efbacbec7e2a207e96222a5dab2d24bc.jpg
22e5e56be55493212022dd6e35d48514.jpg
d687b747bc6f377e8bc63da1e48ce418.jpg

TSA allows you to carry what you need for personal use in your carry on as long as each battery is less than 100WH (WH=voltsxamps) p4 and p4p batteries are less than that. Last year I was leaving Orlando and a TSA agent told me that my batteries had to be discharged, So I ask him where that part was in the regulations, Just happened I had a copy on my ipad. He went to section that said the batteries must be protected from short circuits. I showed him the Q&A that the FAA published, he thanked me for being informed and let me go.

TSA allows you to carry what you need for personal use in your carry on as long as each battery is less than 100WH (WH=voltsxamps) p4 and p4p batteries are less than that. Last year I was leaving Orlando and a TSA agent told me that my batteries had to be discharged, So I ask him where that part was in the regulations, Just happened I had a copy on my ipad. He went to section that said the batteries must be protected from short circuits. I showed him the Q&A that the FAA published, he thanked me for being informed and let me go.
Hey Jrods, how about links to that info. I want to get that onto my iPad before my Nashville trip[emoji3]

Thanks Jrod. LMAO Meta4 :p

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik