LiPo bags

Do you have any recommendations for good Lipo bags?

No - honest answer - because you only find out which are good or bad when it actually happens ! Watching Youtube videos don't tell me much apart from the 'artificial forced way' the LiPo is ignited.

I have Hobby King bags and also Hobby King Battery warmer bag which is also supposed to be a safe bag. Are they any good ? No idea honestly. But the warmer bag certainly works as a warmer for batterys in winter.

I have tried to find a site that showed Picnic Cool bags used ... which was a surprise. The time it took for the fire to break out was long enough for the bag and content to be ejected into the garden away from other items. Not minutes - but at least a chance.
I carry a lot of LiPo's to flight site - often 20 or more. I have 3 LiPo bags labelled for battery size ... they then get put into a large picnic cool bag to be easier to carry.

Reactions: skymonkey
It would likely be better than nothing, but it's probably not a great choice. Check out the video I posted above to see what happens when a battery ignites inside of a box that has no vents.

Since the Bat-Safe box is rated to 2pc 6S 5000mAh and my phantom 4 batteries are 5870mAh it probably would not be safe to place two batteries inside. I would need one box per battery to be safe.

Since the Bat-Safe box is rated to 2pc 6S 5000mAh and my phantom 4 batteries are 5870mAh it probably would not be safe to place two batteries inside. I would need one box per battery to be safe.

??

2x 6S 5000mAh ??

P4 is 4S 5870mAh .... so why not 2 in the Bat Safe ?

Not familiar with battery specifics. I see 5870mAh on P4 battery more than the 5000 on Bat-Safe. So 2 batteries is good. Thanks

The S number is the number of cells in a pack ....

S #.........Nominal voltage..........Full voltage
1S =.......3.7V...............................4.2v
2S = ......7.4V...............................8.4V
3S = ......11.1V.............................12.6V

etc.

The mAh is the amount of charge stored in the total pack and technically amount of mA it can supply in 1 hour.

C rating is in two parts ... Discharge C rating and Charge C rating. Discharge C rating is usually far higher than Charge C rating. Charge C rating is often in the 1 to 3C range. C is the rate of charge in Amps ... which if you take the mAh and divide by 1000 to get A/hr ... gives you the 1C rate. A 5000mAh pack will have a 1C rate of 5 amps.

Why do I say 2x 4S packs can go in the bag ? Because the physical size of the packs is less than the 6S packs ...

Reactions: skymonkey
Quiz... Since we took it that far can someone tell us how a 100c is going to burn vs 20c?

Why would it burn differently ? The C rating is about electrical discharge rate.

Why would it burn differently ? The C rating is about electrical discharge rate.
Acceptable charge and discharge rate. It's more of a safety rating and totally subjective by the manufacturer. I don't know the answer, but my question was if anyone knew. If density and resistance is different then wouldn't that mean that something might be chemically different?

Last edited:
I think the technology built in would make a difference too. I might be worth looking at the little details of overcharge/discharge protection, automatic discharge from non-use and balance charging capabilities. Maybe someday someone will invent a mini dry fire-suppression system that can actually deal with a LiPo fire.

The problem is Self Sustaining Chemical Based Fire.

They are one of the worst to tackle and such as LiPo are near impossible to extinguish by normal means.

Reactions: chascoadmin
I do not put them in a bag when transporting in the case short amount of time but then I do not leave in the case either all the time only when using, once home or where ever for any longer period of time the batteries go into a fire proof metal lock box for storage just in case. Never charge unattended but plan on building a fire proof enclosure to charge in eventually. My case is metal not fireproof.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor