LiPo bags

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a couple of questions about lipo battery bags. I now have 10 batteries for my P4 and have just got the battery safe bags today. I was wondering if the batteries that are in the case should also be in the bag. I can get them in but they are very tight. If they should be in the bag I guess I could cut some of the foam out of the case to accommodate the bag. Also I see pics of batteries being charged while in the bag. Is this necessary? I never leave with batteries being charged.
IMG_0401.jpg

I was wondering if the batteries that are in the case should also be in the bag
Batteries are most dangerous while using or charging them. I've never seen anyone mention an undamaged battery caught on fire while the battery was stored in a case. Even though, I store my batteries in LiPo bags (outside of my cases) when not using them. That gives me some peace of mind since I store them in my house.

I see pics of batteries being charged while in the bag. Is this necessary?
If you're in the room while your batteries are charging (highly recommended), you should be fine charging them without LiPo bags. If you want to use a bag as an extra precaution, then something like the BAT-SAFE would also be a good option to consider.

1576059806550.png

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Terrycross
I am sure this is asked by many ....

In regular RC .... LiPo's are recc'd to be stored in safe boxes, containers .... charged while in LiPo sacks / safe containers, transported in LiPo sacks ...

But most of us who have cases for our drones ... quite happily carry them in the case along with the model.

I know this sounds strange considering the safety advice on LiPo's ... but I think it comes down to personal choice. I carry regular LiPo's in Safe Sacks - labeled for packs sizes ... 3S ... 4S .... 5s etc. But my P3P LiPo's get put into the slots of the case.
I do not charge and leave them alone ... I am always within a few feet of them ... ready to 'hoof' it and charger out the window !! Yep ... charger as well ... instead of poncing around trying to get battery alone ... I would just pull the power out of the charger ... grab the charger with LiPo hanging of the charger lead and WHEEEEE out the window ...

Last edited:
Only reason I ever use a lipo bag is when I take a quad somewhere via airtravel or with 4s to 12s cells I made myself, other than that no need to trip so much very low chances anything will happen when just sitting in a bag

Lipo's ar pretty stable but sometimes they become unstable. They contain an enormous amount of energy. - If you have a lot of them together and one catches fire - watch out - see this clip I picked up -

Thanks for your replies. I have the Bags now, so I will use them for the batteries that aren't In the case.

Lipo's ar pretty stable but sometimes they become unstable. They contain an enormous amount of energy. - If you have a lot of them together and one catches fire - watch out - see this clip I picked up -

Not being there - not seeing exactly what connections etc. - but it looked suspiciously like a shorted battery ....

He's extremely lucky that it was a relatively short-lived flame front.

For anyone interested - the Fire Extinguisher will basically only stop the model and surrounds from burning as it has little effect on a lipo itself. A lipo provides the 3 factors of fire itself.

Batteries are most dangerous while using or charging them. I've never seen anyone mention an undamaged battery caught on fire while the battery was stored in a case.

This is an interesting comment, and one I would have agreed with before I started with DJI Drones. I've pulled batteries out of the case and they've been strangely warm. I attribute this to them going into self-discharge after the preset time (10 days for me). Even though they discharge slowly, with the foam padding in the case they do generate enough heat to become warm (not hot) to the touch. I, too, have never heard mention of batteries catching fire in the case, but the heat generation was still a bit concerning when I first encountered it - and maybe still is.....

I've pulled batteries out of the case and they've been strangely warm. I attribute this to them going into self-discharge after the preset time (10 days for me).
Right, the batteries will become warm while discharging. That heat is not enough to cause a fire. If it was, we would have heard of hundreds (thousands?) of stories where batteries went up in flames while auto discharging in cases/drones.

Batteries are most dangerous while using or charging them. I've never seen anyone mention an undamaged battery caught on fire while the battery was stored in a case. Even though, I store my batteries in LiPo bags (outside of my cases) when not using them. That gives me some peace of mind since I store them in my house.

Would a fireproof safe like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GE57DFK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_57z9DbD798RZT be good to charge and even store batteries in at home?

Would a fireproof safe like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GE57DFK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_57z9DbD798RZT be good to charge and even store batteries in at home?
I had been wondering the same thing and after a little research it is reported that a lipo battery fire can get anywhere from 1,000 to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. While fire safes are designed to keep the fire out and the contents safe I suppose it would work in the opposite direction? The temperature rating seems to be plenty, but I would think any steel box would work since steel's melting point is closer to 2500 degrees.

I had been wondering the same thing and after a little research it is reported that a lipo battery fire can get anywhere from 1,000 to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. While fire safes are designed to keep the fire out and the contents safe I suppose it would work in the opposite direction? The temperature rating seems to be plenty, but I would think any steel box would work since steel's melting point is closer to 2500 degrees.

I have an old Sentry safe that I don’t use since upgrading to bigger safe. I have Lipo bags but have seen videos of them not containing fires. So I’m thinking about using the safe for charging and storing my Lipo batteries.

Reactions: chascoadmin
This is an interesting comment, and one I would have agreed with before I started with DJI Drones. I've pulled batteries out of the case and they've been strangely warm. I attribute this to them going into self-discharge after the preset time (10 days for me). Even though they discharge slowly, with the foam padding in the case they do generate enough heat to become warm (not hot) to the touch. I, too, have never heard mention of batteries catching fire in the case, but the heat generation was still a bit concerning when I first encountered it - and maybe still is.....

A LiPo is dangerous in ALL states ... that's the safe attitude to take.

The difference of charge state is the energy stored ... and the nearer full charge - the increased possibility of gas pressure, rupture and ignition.
Remember that your LiPo's are still stored at 30 - 50% level - with still a significant energy level in them. This is why shipping requires discharge to lowest storage level to minimise.

LiPo fires DO exist at low levels - but usually not so violent.

Right, the batteries will become warm while discharging. That heat is not enough to cause a fire. If it was, we would have heard of hundreds (thousands?) of stories where batteries went up in flames while auto discharging in cases/drones.

The reason for the rise in temp - is that the discharge process is a resistance depletion system - and the resistance creates heat as the dissipator of that energy. Think of the heat like the light from a lamp ... its the energy conversion.... you cannot discharge without it creating something.
Usually if you discharge outside on the bench with air moving round the battery - the low discharge rate doesn't give you a noticeable rise in temp. But in a foam padded case ?

If you were to short a storage level LiPo - I suggest you might like to do it in a safe area !! ;)

That's why Ammo boxes are popular. But please do one thing .... unless its built to withstand WW3 ... remove the seals !! The pressure build up is incredible ... there are examples of Ammo Cases having their handles broken by it ... lids distorted etc.

Reactions: chascoadmin
I have an old Sentry safe that I don’t use since upgrading to bigger safe. I have Lipo bags but have seen videos of them not containing fires. So I’m thinking about using the safe for charging and storing my Lipo batteries.

LiPo bags do not 100% contain fires ... look at the closure ... you put a LiPo in ... connect leads ... close the VELCRO flap as best you can ... there's still a 'hole'.

The first thing that happens when the LiPo ignites - is the release of pressure and that flap cannot contain it ... a shoot of flame occurs ... which usually continues.
You now watch as the bag slowly succumbs to the intense heat inside. The difference of a good and bad bag is the time it takes for the bag to start to break up - which it will do eventually.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31