Lily drone lawsuit

I don't understand why anyone would pre-order something that's not even in production.

Having said that, I have this idea, it's hush, hush but send me $500 and you're on the list ;)

I preordered a dog tracking device many years ago (circa 2014), it was called Whistle and allegedly invented by some kid, it was a kickstarter and I was to receive a unit for $39 or $49 or something. (normally around $99), but I got the cheap price because of the preorder "investment".

Then they never built the units and sold the company to another company, that used the same Whistle name, they built units allegedly, but never shipped very many as far as I know, then they sold to Tagg, or maybe Tagg sold out to Whistle. I cant remember....but each step of they way they gave the oppurtunity to get my money back or continue and receive even more products or even a better deal on the service. I think at one point I was paying $49 and had 2 years of monitoring service included.

So I let it ride...the company was sold again or the product turned out the be a flop and they refunded my money...it was at least a two year process in during that time I never saw one single bit of hardware...but they never actually billed my card.

Besides the overall pre-order garbage, the suit itself is due tot eh facts that came out that the intro video for Lilly wasn't even filmed by one of the units, but an Inspire Pro for the "drone shots" ...

I watched this product along with other tech blogs, didn't see it happening anyways for various reasons.

Reactions: jakobe75
I understand the complaint and think it has _some_ merit. However, no product was ever delivered so I think part of the defense is that the complaint is pointless, as full refunds are being given. That is, how can a person say they were harmed by the impression that a product was better then it was if that product was never delivered. I _do_ think Lilly screwed themselves with that email. Might be enough to piss off a jury and sway them for the plaintiffs. The other part of the defense that Lilly probably made it clear that this was a pre-order and as such, the Lilly did not exist yet. The video was a demo of what it _would_ be like. Again, no final product so who knows... maybe it would have looked better.

But the plaintiff is asking for $2500 per order and Lilly is already giving back around $500. I suspect Lilly probably does not even have $2500 per order to their name. They probably have insurance to pay for the defense but not to cover punitive damages.

That thing definitely seemed to fit into the 'too-good-to-be-true' category even if their video was impressive (which apparently was filmed by mostly DJI stuff...)

It did get them quite a lot of pre orders...

I understand the complaint and think it has _some_ merit. However, no product was ever delivered so I think part of the defense is that the complaint is pointless, as full refunds are being given. That is, how can a person say they were harmed by the impression that a product was better then it was if that product was never delivered. I _do_ think Lilly screwed themselves with that email. Might be enough to piss off a jury and sway them for the plaintiffs. The other part of the defense that Lilly probably made it clear that this was a pre-order and as such, the Lilly did not exist yet. The video was a demo of what it _would_ be like. Again, no final product so who knows... maybe it would have looked better.

But the plaintiff is asking for $2500 per order and Lilly is already giving back around $500. I suspect Lilly probably does not even have $2500 per order to their name. They probably have insurance to pay for the defense but not to cover punitive damages.

I agree with you, plaintiff should get back what he paid, not a cent more. Nothing more than a damages hustle in my opinion. I'm certain many of us may have had the $$$ to give, but decided to hold off to see if it would have come to fruition first. The fact that they paid, well, that was their risk, I don't see any valid reason they should geet more than they paid for a pre-order.

I agree with you, plaintiff should get back what he paid, not a cent more. Nothing more than a damages hustle in my opinion. I'm certain many of us may have had the $$$ to give, but decided to hold off to see if it would have come to fruition first. The fact that they paid, well, that was their risk, I don't see any valid reason they should geet more than they paid for a pre-order.

maybe a penalty for lying to people that were giving them a bunch of money?

IMHO this is the kind of thing that stinks of white collar crime. Bait and switch and all of the execs walk away, rarely are people lheld accountable for their actions and consumers are left holding the bag.

maybe a penalty for lying to people that were giving them a bunch of money?

IMHO this is the kind of thing that stinks of white collar crime. Bait and switch and all of the execs walk away, rarely are people lheld accountable for their actions and consumers are left holding the bag.

A penalty is something that occurs to those at the company and the company itself. That is occurring.

There is no reason you should get back anything more than what you gave, plain and simple.

A penalty is something that occurs to those at the company and the company itself. That is occurring.

There is no reason you should get back anything more than what you gave, plain and simple.

That makes sense.

I'm currently in the middle of the whole VW diesel debacle and moving forward with VW buying back the car. It's going to be interesting to see how it shakes out as I'm a part of the class action lawsuit as my registration tags were withheld for months when the manure hit the air multiplier while i was still making payments...

That makes sense.

I'm currently in the middle of the whole VW diesel debacle and moving forward with VW buying back the car. It's going to be interesting to see how it shakes out as I'm a part of the class action lawsuit as my registration tags were withheld for months when the manure hit the air multiplier while i was still making payments...

Oh, I feel for you pasta ... Do you think they will give you the value of the car based on mileage driven on it, or the full cost you paid minus taxes, etc. ?

Oh, I feel for you pasta ... Do you think they will give you the value of the car based on mileage driven on it, or the full cost you paid minus taxes, etc. ?

Nowhere near full cost with the buyback but I hope to get almost all of it with the class action suit.

I honestly didn't really care too much about the entire thing until they pulled my tags and I was still paying for the car.

I absolutely love the car but at this point it doesn't make sense to not sell it back.... but man has it been a mess.

Reactions: jakobe75
Nowhere near full cost with the buyback but I hope to get almost all of it with the class action suit.

I honestly didn't really care too much about the entire thing until they pulled my tags and I was still paying for the car.

I absolutely love the car but at this point it doesn't make sense to not sell it back.... but man has it been a mess.

I hear ya.

Is keeping it an option, or with the issues it can't be corrected and driven? A hot mess for them, look at what they have to pay back ...

I hear ya.

Is keeping it an option, or with the issues it can't be corrected and driven? A hot mess for them, look at what they have to pay back ...

You can choose the option to have them 'fix' the car and they will give you about 25% of the buyback value but to the tune of losing about 30% of its performance and mileage.

I'm fairly certain that our car was 'fixed' without telling us - our average mileage went from ~45- 50 (55+) mpg to ~33 - 36 mpg after we got a 'urgent recall notice' for something else.

The absolute lowest mileage we ever got, on one tank before the fix, was 38 mpg which was 90% in town for about 600 miles and on road trips it would easily get 45-50 for ~800 miles.

Now we struggle to get 34 on a tank, so they are buying it back.

Again, I adore the car but it's not the car I bought. We find another one someday but this one has to go

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl