Lightroom subscription question

Reaction score
Ok i am *almost* at the end of my rope here trying to figure out what to do with my photo processing since getting my drone. Let me summarize, and then list my assumptions. Please assist and tell me if im completely mis-understanding the whole Lightroom subscription deal;

ISSUES
1.) Currently I relatively happily use Lightoom 5.7something. It does *most* of what I needed up until now, minus Panorama and HDR functionality. Getting my Phantom is forcing me to 'up my game', post-processing wise. :cool:
2.) Money WTF (pardon me...) it really sucks to have to pay monthly for something i *may* not use monthly. Im a hobbiest, enthusiast, etc, not a professional. $10 per month on Adobe is $10 per month less beer I get to buy. :(
3.) My Current Lightroom Catalog includes 60GB of original NEF/DNGs plus all the Lightroom adjustments...

ASSUMPTIONS
1.) The Adobe Photography Package that costs $10/month includes both the new Lightroom CC, plus Lightroom Classic PLUS Photoshop. Photoshop is *not* cloud-based.
2.) If i just stop being cheap and go to the Photography package, i will be using Lightroom Classic, *not* the CC version, due to the basic subscription only having 20GB of cloud storage.
3.) If you do the subscription service, and use Classic, and are upgrading from Lightroom 5, the process will be EASY and will not include moving my catalog, it should just upgrade the current software, and my current catalogue should be easy to find...

Am I on the right track here, or am I way off on some of these assumptions. Basically, I think i want to move up to the subscription service but im not paying for the 1TB storage... Plus, im sorry Im no genius, but I do *NOT* want to store tons of Raw photos in the cloud, I feel that processing works way quicker when you are working off a Hard Drive connected directly to your computer. It would be nice to have the 20GB of cloud space for finished shots, but TBH, i already have that via MicrosoftCloud/DropBox, just like everyone else.

Many thanks for any replies.

Forget the Lightroom cc. Lightroom classic cc is Lightroom. The rebranded cc is their dumbed down version of Lightroom. Confusing.

For 10$ a month you get PS and Lightroom and all updates. Several per year.

The cost to upgrade old photoshop and old Lightroom exceeds what you pay monthly.

Yes. Its subscription. Yes it sucks. But it’s a good deal if you are a photographer. If you only use Lightroom a couple times a year and no PS, then it’s a hard decision.

To me it’s worth doing because i shoot with a regular DSLR

if you don’t care about photo management then look into luminar. Good app between Lightroom’s dev module and photoshop.

Only Lightroom cc us s the cloud and you don’t have to use it or pay for extra storage. It’s set up for people who need access to all their stuff everywhere... their Mac. Their iPhone. Their iPad. Seemless integration but in a dumbed down app.

I believe you could just pay for a month at a time.. If you don’t need it, then don’t renew.. Just renew when you actually need it..

Reactions: ravedog
I believe you could just pay for a month at a time.. If you don’t need it, then don’t renew.. Just renew when you actually need it..

This too. Take a look at capture one. They have catalog management for s one time price. No subscription.

The makers of luminar are also coming out with a DAM this year as well.

There is a plus side to losing $10 beer money. Beer has the ability to change testosterone to estrogen. Plus the extra calories makes the famous “beer belly.” Fat also changes testosterone to estrogen. All that ends up to man boobs. The encrease of estrogen leads to “ed” and the lack of muscle mass. Not a pretty site.
I didn’t get off topic, did I?

As of version 11.1, Capture One still does not have a "color profile" for the DJI family of drones. If you shot raw, which I do, you will need to pick a profile to start with, their default DNG color is not that good.

C1 does do a nice job on the raws, from both the P4 and Mavic. For some reason, the P4 raws load cropped, into C1, but you can adjust that.

Paul Caldwell

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31