lightbridge on SE?

I would agree with you except for one thing: This is what we strongly believe to be a lightbridge signal. And what we know about lightbridge is it travels over amazing distances. 80 meters is not a particularly long distance.

Also, since you have modded your controller with the argtek, when you disconnect that antenna, the cable that leads from your transmitter inside the controller to the coupling which you installed - that cable acts as an antenna. So to claim there is no antenna isn't quite accurate. What you really mean is you have a poor antenna which is the cable.

I suggest, if you're interested, flying out a mile or so, then disconnect each antenna and see what happens.

Thank you for your efforts...

Shielded cable is weak, very weak antenna actor. According to that and very low power output, 80 meters should be more than enough to see significant signal drop.

You're using Litchi for the SE?? I asked the developers and they said that Litchi doesn't work on the SE as DJI hasn't released the SE specs to them so how do you have it working??
Yes, I'm using Litchi. On a iPad it works without any problem on the SE.

I would agree with you except for one thing: This is what we strongly believe to be a lightbridge signal. And what we know about lightbridge is it travels over amazing distances. 80 meters is not a particularly long distance.

Also, since you have modded your controller with the argtek, when you disconnect that antenna, the cable that leads from your transmitter inside the controller to the coupling which you installed - that cable acts as an antenna. So to claim there is no antenna isn't quite accurate. What you really mean is you have a poor antenna which is the cable.

I suggest, if you're interested, flying out a mile or so, then disconnect each antenna and see what happens.

Thank you for your efforts...
Besides.....we all know that a transmitter being turned on with out a antenna to load Up to will overheat the final output transistors and possibly fry them ! its like running a lawn mower with no speed governor !...like Mark says....it will use the cables as a antenna....if they were not connected...Good By Final transmitter transistors !

So the question remaining without answer is- what is lightbridge? My money is still on it being a slick implementation of the wifibroadcast protocol (part of the wifi standards).
That makes perfect sense. Especially since DJI actually calls their signal on the SE "enhanced wifi." I would venture to say the main difference between lightbridge and wifi is the lack of a "check."

Besides.....we all know that a transmitter being turned on with out a antenna to load Up to will overheat the final output transistors and possibly fry them ! its like running a lawn mower with no speed governor !...like Mark says....it will use the cables as a antenna....if they were not connected...Good By Final transmitter transistors !

No, it will not.
1. Modern transmitters have built in safety which will reduce output power in case of no load or high SWR values.
2. My transmitter works in CE mode with output power of 100 mW (20 dBm), so it is safer anyway.
3. Cable without antenna will act like very bad antenna (since it is well shielded) and because of low output power there must be significant loss of signal even on short distance. When both antennas were removed there was total loss, so cable is out of the question here...

For sure, on P3 SE both side antennas are used for the very same purpose - receive video/telemetry and transmit command signal.
That small stick antenna is useless for RC-AC link. It is used just for WiFi link RC - Mobile phone.

At least but not last, Mark I would be very happy to fly 1 mile out, but with CE setup it is impossible...

I don't know what qualifies as a modern transmitter, but I personally have had DJI transmitters become severely weakened due to embarrassing mistakes on my part. I assume they burnt out.

It's important to use the correct antenna to match the transmitter. If the antenna is not correct (i.e. too short or too long), the signal will not radiate efficiently, and the excess radiation will back the other way into the transmitter and cause it to heat up. A cable obviously isn't going to be a properly sized antenna So that radiation has to go somewhere. If it can't get out, it goes back into the transmitter and will create heat. I don't know anything about a safety, so if there is one, good for us!

There is still some mystery with this SE. How did MarcoFan get 4,250 meters in Italy? Do we know the answer to that?

I'm sorry you guys in Europe are having such a hard time with distance. It could be DJI deliberately disabled the signal strength so that it would go no further than 500 meters in CE mode on this particular aircraft. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't bode well for the future. Maybe you should get the P3P - it gets 3500 meters in CE mode. They're getting kind of hard to find though. I know a guy here in the states who flew his P3P 19.4 miles away in FCC mode, with mods of course. That's over 30,000 linear meters. The distance guys say the P3P is the king of long distance.

Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI

Last edited:
It's important to use the correct antenna to match the transmitter. If the antenna is not correct (i.e. too short or too long), the signal will not radiate efficiently, and the excess radiation will back the other way into the transmitter and cause it to heat up. A cable obviously isn't going to be a properly sized antenna So that radiation has to go somewhere. If it can't get out, it goes back into the transmitter and will create heat. I don't know anything about a safety, so if there is one, good for us!

This is SWR - Standing Wave Ratio. It explains (in short term) impedance relation between antenna and transmitter output line, and overall transmitting efficiency.
Of course, you don't want to have your antenna detached for a long period of time, since there is a great chance to overheat transmitter and damage it. But for testing purposes, it can live with 10 seconds without antenna, especially within those output power levels.
You don't want to create a short circuit on cable connectors as well, that will create a mess in transmitter output circuits.
Both cases will lead to large SWR figures and potential transmitter damage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31