License when required

Hey, can you link where you saw that? I trust you, just want to see it in writing.

Here's the specific FCC reg that covers FPV video transmitters: e-CFR Title 47 Part 97 → Subpart C → §97.215

Note the 1-Watt power limit indicated by 47 Part 97.125 (c).

This reg is worded such that it appears that it was originally written to cover RC transmitters, but the FCC is also applying it to FPV video transmitters - see the attached FCC document that details a recent action against HobbyKing for selling FPV video transmitters that are out of compliance with the regs (transmitting with more than 1-Watt and/or out of the allowed frequency range (band). The document references 47 Part 97.125 (c) when talking about exceeding the power limit.

You need a Technician Class Amature Radio license to operate an FPV transmitter that transmits with more than 1-Watt. This is not a difficult license to obtain, but I don't know that you need to use an FPV video transmitter that can transmit with more than 1-Watt of power if you are going to keep the aircraft within visual line of sight (VLOS). I've flown with 25-mW and 200-mW FPV transmitters that work fine. However, if flying outdoors where the FAA controls the airspace and you are flying behind hills, trees, buildings or objects, or so far away that you think you need more than 1-Watt, it's a good bet that you are not flying VLOS (assuming you are flying without a visual observer that can maintain eyes on the aircraft).

Attachments

• FCC-18-71A1.pdf
    291.9 KB · Views: 423

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20