Let's Have a Techie Snow Talk ...

Reaction score
Flying through snow can be aesthetically perfect …. or dangerously crashing. The difference is within the moisture, specific gravity, and temperature of the flakes that are falling. We need some input from our more northern pilots on this one, as most of us have only one description for the white stuff - SNOW. But there is wet snow, dry snow, small, sleet like flakes, large, soft, silver dollar sized flakes etc, etc, etc. Here is a flight that I made last year in late winter /early spring. Before I took off, I paid attention to how the snow flakes were being orientated by the spinning propellers - in other words were the flakes light enough and dry enough to be "vortexed" away by the props air production … or were they penetrating the prop surface and sticking/melting on the drone … they weren't on this particular day: Produce_373.mp4

Living in Canada I've seen every kind of precipitation there is. I enjoy winter flying but it's my personal preference to only fly on clear sunny days. I'm aware many people have flown phantoms in snow without issues but in my personal opinion its just not worth the risk of any "water" of any kind getting blown inside of the AC. I just wont do it. Just my 2 cents.

Same here regarding snow and/or moisture. Until DJI itself says the OEM product(s) that I purchase from them can tolerate such conditions, I will avoid such conditions at all costs.

Also, it may not seem that any damage is being done after a flight or even two or more in such conditions, but tell me how you’d know before you began having odd problems related to moisture damage.

I live on the coast and fly mostly over or near the water. I’m sure that I’ve encountered salty air, and I’m fairly certain that my copter would have traces of salt within it. Such flying is a chance that I take, and when the copter is not in use, it’s in a sealed case or humidity controlled room. The last thing I’d want to do is introduce moisture.

I have flown my P3S in wet snow (large flakes), and dry snow (small flakes). I prefer the dry snow as it doesn’t stick to the AC. I have also flown in fairly heavy snow. The problem is that there is usually a build-up of snow on the AC even before launch so I usually have a small hand towel handy to brush the snow off.

Chris

I have flown with snow on the ground but not while it was snowing. I have added snow falling in post editing though.

Living in Canada I've seen every kind of precipitation there is. I enjoy winter flying but it's my personal preference to only fly on clear sunny days. I'm aware many people have flown phantoms in snow without issues but in my personal opinion its just not worth the risk of any "water" of any kind getting blown inside of the AC. I just wont do it. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, to each their own, I have friends that won't fly in anything more than 5km/hr wind … but for many of us it's worth $$$ it to push the elements - and eff the expense! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!

Flying through snow can be aesthetically perfect …. or dangerously crashing. The difference is within the moisture, specific gravity, and temperature of the flakes that are falling. We need some input from our more northern pilots on this one, as most of us have only one description for the white stuff - SNOW. But there is wet snow, dry snow, small, sleet like flakes, large, soft, silver dollar sized flakes etc, etc, etc. Here is a flight that I made last year in late winter /early spring. Before I took off, I paid attention to how the snow flakes were being orientated by the spinning propellers - in other words were the flakes light enough and dry enough to be "vortexed" away by the props air production … or were they penetrating the prop surface and sticking/melting on the drone … they weren't on this particular day: Produce_373.mp4

Phantom Rain has to be one of the Biggest Risk takers on this forum flying in extreme weather conditions. We fly in Heavy wet snow , Freezing Cold Rain and Pouring Rain.

The Phantom Rain Wet Suit allows us to fly the drone without the Stresses and worry of the conditions of the weather and or snow.

Ultimately the problem with flying in any snow or rain is what is happening on the inside of the drone..

When you take that stress out of the picture , flying in the snow is Fun and Adventourous and for many it is a way to make money on days when others would not dare fly .

Ice, cold, Snow and Rain are now all threats that can me minimized with the Phantom Rain Wet Suit.

Not having to pay attention to the type of snow flakes < priceless.
We put this video together to show the drone in slow motion with the Rain.

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org

Ice, cold, Snow and Rain are now all threats that can me minimized with the Phantom Rain Wet Suit.

Not having to pay attention to the type of snow flakes < priceless.
We put this video together to show the drone in slow motion with the Rain.

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org

You're video looks very good! Obviously, there are many snow scenarios that negate any recording - for those of us with that interest only. And even a protective covering would be useless in any freezing rain event.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Drones are subject to the same physics that manned aircraft are. Get enough ice on them and they stop flying. I'll limit my flying to more favorable conditions.

Drones are subject to the same physics that manned aircraft are. Get enough ice on them and they stop flying. I'll limit my flying to more favorable conditions.

That is true with the big exception of how much time the drone can fly in the air. Giving 30 minutes is the MAX , no amount of ice has stopped us. lol

Ice frozen Drone, no issues. Hands Frozen, Ice video on the website.
Phantomrain.org

A - Truama 2.png

With my P3S I get around 16-17 minutes of flight time and my Spark around 10-11 minutes in winter weather. With these times I have never had ice build up on either of my drones.

Favourable conditions are a personal perspective. I consider winter and snow favourable conditions. I was out flying my Spark in 0ºC weather with light snow yesterday without any problems and I flew all 4 of my batteries. Last week I was flying my P3S in -14ºC weather, again, no problems. When I fly in snow, my drones are dry to begin with. If there is snow build-up when setting up or changing batteries, I just use a small towel to brush it off. I am careful not to get snow in the battery compartment.

Snow and winter in general make for some beautiful photo opportunities. Just like I use my DSLRs in winter and in snow, I also use my flying cameras too. I adjust my flying routines (warming batteries, dressing warmly, etc) to suit the winter conditions just like I do with my DSLRs (wear gloves, keep front element clean, etc.).

Chris

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I live at 59N .... winter is a big concern and I fly as much as I can ... its a fantastic time to fly with picture postcard winter scenes.

BUT I will not fly in conditions where snow is falling or there is likelihood of Icing up. It is basically risking loss of your model ...

Dry light flakes - do 'blow' away .. but it does not take much change in weather conditions to have 'wet flakes' and the situation drastically changes.
I had such change a few winters back .. and the P3 suffered increased weight ... build up of snow / ice on arms ... wet and I am sure it had got inside. Careful airing / drying out meant no problem after - but I vowed not to knowingly do it again.

Nigel

It's not that black & white. There's volume/velocity of precipitation, and then the various kinds including rain, freezing rain, and a plethora of snow flake types. The lighter, drier snow flake types are completely harmless - even for the more Nancy, conservative fliers. The only thing I would recommend, once you do clear yourself for take-off, is to hand catch on the snowier days as to prevent any snow re-circulation due to rotor down washing. I think the holy grail for most of we snowbirds - are the snowshower days where you get the magic light of the diffused sun combined with the light fluffy, dry snowflakes.

Last edited:
I live at 59N .... winter is a big concern and I fly as much as I can ... its a fantastic time to fly with picture postcard winter scenes.

BUT I will not fly in conditions where snow is falling or there is likelihood of Icing up. It is basically risking loss of your model ...

Dry light flakes - do 'blow' away .. but it does not take much change in weather conditions to have 'wet flakes' and the situation drastically changes.
I had such change a few winters back .. and the P3 suffered increased weight ... build up of snow / ice on arms ... wet and I am sure it had got inside. Careful airing / drying out meant no problem after - but I vowed not to knowingly do it again.

Nigel
Good post, Nigel. Yes, I will not fly if there is a chance of adherence to any part of the drone … but if the temperature, and flake fall-velocity appear to be "right" ,,, then I'm ready to roll. The science of this form of precipitation is extremely mathematical … and my purpose in posting this thread was to get some tried and true tips in how other's discern clearance for takeoff. For the more technically inclined here is a good article about the physics of falling snowflakes:

The study in Part I gives a detailed description of the measurements and investigates the variability in the velocity–size power-law coefficients. It shows that three environmental parameters—surface temperature, echo top temperature and, in particular, the depth of the precipitation system—determine the fall velocity fairly well.
https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/2010JAS3390.1
https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/2010JAS3390.1

I keep a couple of desiccant packs in the case to lessen the chance of moisture in places it shouldn't be.

Reactions: 3rdof5 and PeakXV
I keep a couple of desiccant packs in the case to lessen the chance of moisture in places it shouldn't be.

That's a really good tip. I use two butane pocket warmers in the case on really cold days, but in snowy conditions I keep the batteries warm but partition the drone to an area more closer to the cooler temperatures - to minimize any melting upon contact with the exposed plastics.

Reactions: 3rdof5
The difference is within the moisture, specific gravity, and temperature of the flakes that are falling.

When you try to write well but you also failed school... there's no such thing as specific gravity in winter my man.

When you try to write well but you also failed school... there's no such thing as specific gravity in winter my man.
Well I'd say gravity is quite specific regardless of the time of year lmao!!

My biggest concern is the vents, specifically on the P3, being directly under line of fire from the props, which I'd guess their biggest design was to help cool the ESC's on the AC's mainboard, and if that's true, then clearly they get warm enough to need cooling. That being said, the debate on what type of snow blows over them seems irrelevant to me as the props have very serious thrust and IMO could blow any snowflake thru those vents, and, in the event that any amount gets in and melts on a warm part of the mainboard, what could happen? Has anyone ever asked this question, "would it be safe to simply cover all the vents with tape to ensure nothing can get inside?" I'd think in winter flying the AC would never overheat with the vents blocked. Opinions?

And here's another point that just occurred to now, NOTHING falling at the speed of any type of snowflake, or even rain, will make it thru the props without being totally obliterated into a fine mist of either liquid or frozen water particles that would easily blow in the vents.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair