Lens hood?

That's precisely what I use - black cloth gaffer tape. It holds very well and removes without residue.

I spent about three hours at the weekend trying to make an ND filter for my Vision+ but in the end it wasn't so successful. The camera barrel appears to be 26mm so I took some 25mm conduit, cut it to around 0.75mm, reamed it out (sadly the wife won't let me get a lathe yet!) and then cut out a 25mm disk from an old perspex Cokin-type filter (ND4). Everything fit over the lens and the gimbal worked fine, once powered, but the image was quite washed out and the colour looked better without it on! Plus the fact that my smeary fingerprints were all over it didn't help.

Originally I had intended to use some ND gel sheets that I use for lighting control, that I could try to stick around the edge of the lens but I'm not sure how effective that would be. Does anyone have the camera specs for the Vision+ camera? I know that it uses a version of the H264 codec but reading other threads it appears that the shutter speed increases to compensate for bright light. This is not ideal for video cameras as you want to keep the shutter speed at twice the frame rate (or 180 degrees shutter angle) but I cannot find any specs anywhere that give this - any ideas?

Here is a sun shield that I made and use. I got this idea from a YouTube video and found that it works great. I use a Coke Zero bottle cap and retainer because it is black in color. Taking a Dremel tool and a small round sanding bit, slowly and carefully create a hole and enlarge to the point where it friction fits over the GoPro lens. Since the GoPro lens is coated with a rubbery texture is fits snugly and doesn't slide. I included the retainer to bring the hood out further than what the cap alone would reach. I then placed electric tape on the top and bottom to further shield sun from overhead. You have to experiment with the camera to see at what point the tape begins to intrude into the image. Also, keep in mind that you can only shoot in Narrow mode (not Wide or Medium) when you use this sun shield. To stabilize the electric tape I use CA and kicker.

Attachments

• lenshood140703.jpg
    lenshood140703.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 454
Gorlo said:
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/99880627[/vimeo]

Is this the problematic effect?

It appears your props are casting a shadow on the lens. Eliminate the suns exposure on the lens and the lines go away, (if that is what you are talking about).

That was indeed the problem. I've corrected it by cobbling a lens hood together by cutting a piece of a plastic document cover, and using two sided tape, I looped the plastic into a small tube. I slid that over the lens and friction keeps it in place, even when I tilt down. Works beautifully

Just finished 3D printing my first iteration, but kinda screwed up at the end. I decided to paint the interior of the darn thing in black, but it turned out shining more than the exterior. I'll just reprint it entirely in black plastic tomorrow. I also made a lens cover, both the hood and the cover are attached by pressure and seems to be very stable, I'll test it in the air tomorrow. After I finish this I'm planning on doing a filter adapter, and also rebuilding the GPS tracker mount (this viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17959) for adding a camera guard underneath, all in one piece.

BTW, lens hood weighs 2g, GPS tracker mount weighs 17g, GPS tracker 54g.

lYG0UEL.jpg

ZehOzKn.jpg

WGVGcRs.jpg

IMG_1568_Medium.jpg

[ ]'s

Here you go Dave. The cover model is still very basic but works. The hood attaches to the camera by pressure, it's exactly the same size as the camera for remaining stiff, so if you want to loosen it up a little just sand the back ring a little on the inside.

BTW, here is the new one. Did it on gray plastic, turns out the black PLA is very gloss, so I checked among the colors which one would give less reflections on the inner surface. No vignetting or FOV problems.

bBTkkhF.jpg

8Z4likX.jpg

GnUZCnD.jpg

CB75QXR.png

[ ]'s

Attachments

• lens_hood_p2v.zip.zip
    69.2 KB · Views: 200
Shipping here from Brazil would be financially impractical I guess, unless done in "batches", but I'm open to discussion, be it commercial or not, I want to contribute to the group as much as possible. :cool:

[ ]'s

With the lens cover. Now to do a 30mm ND filter adapter!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405177166.926050.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405177166.926050.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 323
@Andretomasi

Many thanks again for the file, I printed one in ABS black :)

As abs has a tendency to shrink a bit when cooled, I resised
it up very slightly by (1.025%) Not printed the lens cover yet

Dave

Attachments

• P2 Vision + Sun Hood.jpg
    P2 Vision + Sun Hood.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 333
Awesome! Seems to me that it's less glossy than my black PLA, unfortunately I only have some funny colored ABS spools at the moment, so I'm sticking to the gray one.

I'm finishing the new gps mount and in a few moments it's gonna be flight test time! :D

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405184128.856445.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405184128.856445.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 313
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405184542.605174.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405184542.605174.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 316

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members