LED Beacon / Headlight

Reaction score
Anyone had any advice on a good LED beacon or Headlight..

Post pics of your LED setup ..

Thanks

just put leds all the way around it

So you want a headlight which will illuminate the terrain below apparently. Yes, I've seen that. Somebody sells it somewhere. It exists. A search might find it.

I've been toying with this as well. Thought about a couple of DIY solutions some of the other members have come up with, but trying to figure out a way to make the light aim the same direction of the camera. By no means am I suggesting that a light be attached to the camera, just that I want to figure out a way for a light to follow where the camera is pointed. Lot's of studying and work to do on this one. Just a concept at this point.

I've also been considering putting a couple of flashing LED's on the top of the bird (let's say above the underside LED's) to let private pilots (that seem to fly way lower then allowed) see the bird from a distance. Nothing solid yet, just thoughts....

I've also been considering putting a couple of flashing LED's on the top of the bird (let's say above the underside LED's) to let private pilots (that seem to fly way lower then allowed) see the bird from a distance. Nothing solid yet, just thoughts....

It's really hard to judge distance especially with items of different size when comparing height above the ground.

I've been looking for a strobe/beacon to go on top of the aircraft for collision avoidance and for long range flights so my Visual Observer can spot it a bit more easily.

I've been thinking about the headlight type myself for two reasons. 1. It may help me see it better in daylight. 2. I heard somewhere that it may help keep predator birds away. Got some huge hawks around a park where I do testing and some flying. I usually get about 19-20 minutes of flying before they show up. Then I have to come down closer to ground level. Anybody hear of a light scaring real birds before?

I know that there are companies, like PulseLite, that make flashing landing lights for full size aircraft to scare birds. Alternating right/left on/off that seem to work.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know that there are companies, like PulseLite, that make flashing landing lights for full size aircraft to scare birds. Alternating right/left on/off that seem to work.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I didn't know lights existed for that purpose. This gives me a place to start. Thanks.

I am thinking of adding a LED strobe beacon to the top rear of the unit:
Maybe two of these added to the forward facing arms, just for kicks:
I would like a headlight, but I would want it powerful, and without a remote on/off it would probably be too much of a drain.

Interesting strobes but looks like more work than I would want to tackle. I agree with the headlight and also would like an on/off switch preferably on the RC. There doesn't seem to be a perfect solution out there that has been found to date.

I took a round digital that you buy and put it inside a old lens shadeworks great and not affect camera

Attachments

• 20160310_184458.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 703
Reactions: charlieWhelan
I took a round digital that you buy and put it inside a old lens shadeworks great and not affect camera

What is the purpose for which you are using the headlight? Photo's at night, locating your drone, or ??? What is the purpose of the shade and does it do what you want it to do?

Last edited:
It's really hard to judge distance especially with items of different size when comparing height above the ground.

I've been looking for a strobe/beacon to go on top of the aircraft for collision avoidance and for long range flights so my Visual Observer can spot it a bit more easily.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 333
Reactions: BigAl07
I had exectly the same problem, except my drone flying will be for public safety (Fire Department)

I found the parts on Amazon LED boards a flasher and the clear plastic box from the Container Store. All in for under $20.00

I had exactly the same problem, except my drone flying will be for public safety (Fire Department)

I found the parts on Amazon LED boards a flasher and the clear plastic box from the Container Store. All in for under $20.00
Excellent work. How do you have it mounted on your aircraft?

I found the FlyTron "Strobon" to be light weight and fits my 3NM needs. I've got one on the front of the sUAS and one on the rear.

Anyone looking for other lighting options can find some additional ideas and resources at
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

KcFireman, are you operating under Part 107 or has your organization acquired the PS COA already? I'm asking because we are researching that option right now. Also are you a member of the closed FB group "UAS for Public Safety - Working Group"? If not I highly suggest you join. We have Brendan Schulman (Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs at DJI) and Romeo Durscher (works at DJI to oversee education with a focus on first responder integration). Both are excellent resources and I think we're going to see some amazing Public Service units coming from DJI in the not too distant future.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl