leaving Phantom at hotel

Reaction score
RC & battery can fit in room safe;
how to secure bird (P4P+);
won't have car trunk to put it in
for 5 days of 21-day road trip,
carrying around WashDC impractical;
laptop cable lock looped through legs...?
give to hotel baggage room?
(Hilton chain, if it matters)
Advice sought! Thanks.

Get a Mavic. (I have a P4P also, but the Mavic is the perfect solution to your issue.)

Nope, but it's a good backup. I keep the Mavic with me at all times. Like someone said, "The best camera for the job is the one you have with you at the time."

This thread is more about how to secure P4P body
if left behind in hotel room. No expectations
of flying drone in WashDC to take still shots
-- isn't it forbidden within city limits...?

How is the P4P stored now? In a case of some type? Can the case be locked closed and then lock the case to something in the room (with a small bike lock or something)? Some times the hotels have larger safes in their office. Perhaps a local bus station has lockers.

RC & battery can fit in room safe;
how to secure bird (P4P+);
won't have car trunk to put it in
for 5 days of 21-day road trip,
carrying around WashDC impractical;
laptop cable lock looped through legs...?
give to hotel baggage room?
(Hilton chain, if it matters)
Advice sought! Thanks.

Not to mention that Washington, DC is a total drone ban area. Can't fly anywhere in Washington, DC, and extending out 15 miles from the center of DC. Sucks to live here as a drone pilot. Maybe a bike lock securing it to a fixture in the room...

> small bike lock or something)?

Thanks for idea. Already have cable lock.
Use ProBassShop large tackle bag, easily
slung over shoulder.

To be clear, will be taking ONLY hand-held photos
in WashDC area -- NO AERIALS.
Rest of East Coast FL-WashDC, only if
>5mi from airports... always under 100ft in BeginMode...

Why not just leave it in the room? What kind of hotel are you staying at that you're worried about the staff stealing your stuff? I leave my laptop in my room every time I travel.

> worried about the staff stealing your stuff?

Nothing has ever been stolen from a hotel room?
Ever? In the last hour worldwide?

Reactions: pomonabill220
> worried about the staff stealing your stuff?

Nothing has ever been stolen from a hotel room?
Ever? In the last hour worldwide?

I've never had or heard of anyone I know having anything stolen from their hotel rooms. People have died from trees falling on them, but I don't walk around dodging trees. Risk management is all about probability. Very few staff members at a reputable hotel are interested in losing their jobs and future hireability over a drone.

Not WashDC, but quick Google search...
Hotel guests caught in shocking behaviour

Staff? Am more concerned about drug addicts, pro thieves...
One type of risk management is asking for advice on forums...

So, in that article, it seemed to suggest that the increasing trend of hotel room thefts is due the occupant(s) of the room at the time steeling things like irons, towels, and iPod docks and whatnot. If that is not bad enough, some people are even drinking nips from the minibar and then filling them with water and putting them back in their slots so that they don't get charged... Who would do such a thing? Certainly not Jack Daniels drinkers, or those who appreciate the upscale and slightly subtle flavor of some of the darker rums and aged tequilas...:D...

Anyway, back in a former time in my life, I did a lot of traveling with a lot of hotel stays. It also happened that I bought my first laptop during that time, and I was always worried about it being stolen. If I was just going out for a quick run or meal or something, I hung the 'Do not Disturb' sign. If I was going to be out for more than that, I used to bring the laptop in its case to the main desk and have them hold it. I doubt anybody does that anymore, but at the time, laptops were fairly new.

I would be less worried about druggies and thieves breaking into my room - as this is very rare - and more concerned about the possibility of an opportunistic room-cleaner casting a keen eye upon my copter. That said, I agree with the above reply that not many would be willing to risk their job for stealing something from a room, and I think they pretty much go into autopilot mode anyway while they're working.

So, maybe hang the 'Do not Disturb' sign for three of the days while there - I mean, how dirty does the room really get after all - and on the other two days, take the copter in its case to the front desk for holding. And, oh yeah, with the exception of in the rooms and public bathrooms, you cannot take a single step anywhere within a big-chain hotel without it being stored as a video file in the basement's computer room.

> more concerned about the possibility of an opportunistic room-cleaner casting a keen eye upon my copter.

Careful. AyeYo could be reading this.
But thanks for idea.
Agree, chance of theft might be 0.5%
but all one's 0.5% risks add up & after
(100) the chance that one DID happen
is 50/50...? Marilyn vos Savant, is this right...?

Last edited:
I worry about my batteries charging in the hotel room catching fire while I'm not there, more than I worry about the drone being stolen. For ~$60/yr with Farmers insurance you can get theft insurance. You can also put a Trackimo on the craft and leave it turned on, in case anyone does walk off with your stuff. They won't know to look for a tracking device, most likely. I realize this is an expensive hobby, but the nature of the hobby is way more risky than someone stealing it from a hotel room. You'll likely crash before it's stolen.

IMO, most chambermaids wouldn't know the value of a Phantom or Mavic anyway. They look like toys to most people that aren't drone-savvy.

Reactions: AyeYo and Donatas
Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about. And I am a frequent traveler with plenty of things in tow. Never a drone I admit but if you have a case you could always request the hotel leave it in there vault during the day.

Reactions: AyeYo
You are staying in a nice hotel in one of the safest cities in the world. You have no need to worry.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl