Leaving P4 Props on? Bad or fine?

Do you leave props on most of the time?

• Yes

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters
Do your props wiggle a little when they are attached? Mine have a small amount of play in them. It concerns me for flight

Check little wiggle each prop before flying, way to verify props are correctly installed.

Remove props if not in use for a while (spring metal fatigue).

Check all metal springs same eight.

Check screws firmly secured (use marker to mark current position.

Don't store props in a way they could bend.

Don't store Phantom with props and within case with cover and foam that could put pressure on the top of the props.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
582741b9ef78d3c83be48515a184ec17.jpg

Reactions: umneycreep
I like your idea of putting a mark on your screws. It's a good visual aid if it's holding its place or not. Will do that on mine too. Thanks for the idea.

Meanwhile, any of you changed your propeller mount to metal? I was in Hong Kong last week and the guy in the DJI accessory shop recommended changing it to metal since it can take the heat better than the one the came with it. Sorry off topic.

I think the advice to get metal retainers instead of the stock plastic will definitely prevent failures from fatigue cracking of the plastic ones . . also I've already noticed some minor wear (P4 photo attached approx 65hrs of flight time) . . . but that introduces the possibility of wearing out the props first instead, since the attachment points are much harder material than the props. I'll have to pay attention to that now.

I bought some metal ones from Infinity Hobby so with test them out soon as they arrive. Marking the screw heads position with paint is definitely warranted too.
I noted also that the wear you see here is on both "Counter rotating" silver hubs but not on the Clockwise black hubs. May have to do with the "wiggle" tolerance of the blades as they move back and forth during acceleration and deceleration of the motors. Not much way around that I think unless you can somehow install a latch that keeps the mount and the blade in firm contact at all times.
Just my observations
Wear.jpg

Reactions: direkMel
Interesting insights. All have valid points. I really don't know how true this is but the guy in DJI service center in HK told me that it also gives stable prop spin during flight aside from the better heat tolerance. Will try it a few flights and observe it.

97920a0e29469dcec6fdd946ae0a0d02.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl