Law on flying - UK

Reaction score
Hi all just been out with my drone flying on common land.a chap came up to me and told me i need a licence to fly over private land.told him i was not and could see the film i took.he told me next time he would shoot it down if it went on his land.saying you cannot fly over private land.can anybody tell me the law on flying over private land.dont want to break any laws thanks.

Hi all just been out with my drone flying on common land.a chap came up to me and told me i need a licence to fly over private land.told him i was not and could see the film i took.he told me next time he would shoot it down if it went on his land.saying you cannot fly over private land.can anybody tell me the law on flying over private land.dont want to break any laws thanks.
A great deal of debate on this question. Where exactly is the land? Country? State? County? City?

I edited your thread title to help people know where you're from . . .

Reactions: snowy23
I would say as long as you keep within guide lines set out by CAA and not deliberately hover
over he's home/work property there should be no problem that's my take on it as for shooting down your drone that's an criminal act i do believe and as for a licence unless your filming for commercial
purposes then yes but hobbyist flying no hope this helps.

No i did not hover just flew by at 350 feet
That sounds ok to me but some people are just anti drone you could try talking to the person in question and see if you can find some common ground if not try another location best be safe than sorry bud ?

Alan, if you were flying that high I don't think the man is going to be rational.
Your post made me think about something. I could be totally wrong. Is it possible the people in the UK are more intolerant of drone than elsewhere. Again I could be totally wrong but I wonder how it is in other countries?

I know he came to me saying i need a licence to fly over his land or small garden. my camera was pointing forward not down and to say he would shoot it down.

I know he came to me saying i need a licence to fly over his land or small garden. my camera was pointing forward not down and to say he would shoot it down.
I have experienced things like this many times. There are people that aren't happy no matter what you do. They go out of their way to try to make other people just as unhappy as they are.
It's a shame there's this kind of stress when we're flying to relax and enjoy ourselves. Don't let yourself get upset over it. Just go somewhere else and fly and have a good time and relax. There's always someone like him around. Don't let it worry you.

Reactions: Capt KO and snowy23
Technically, you are registered, as you require a DJI account to use the application, and your logs contain any information to back up/confirm your flights. So, in the case of someone confronting, might I suggest that firstly, you ask that they wait for the aircraft to return and land to ensure safety (you are not going to debate when concentrating on flying). Then you can explain that you are registered, a licence is only required for commercial use, although from the 1st October 2019 the UK will (not yet confirmed) be insisting on registering all craft over 250g, and I am in agreement with that, as safety and responsible use is important. "If I am unknowingly standing on private land, I apologise. I am allowed to fly over areas at a specific minimum altitude, and my logs will confirm that. I did not hover, take images other than the aerial landscape as ahead of me. You are welcome to see the footage I have, and I am sorry if you felt you may have been aggrieved, but I can leave and fly somewhere else if it bothers you." Speaking in a non-confrontational tone will help get the message across; you are not wishing to argue with him, and you can even agree that if he had nuisance flyers who had been flying too low or such, then you can understand it is not what the hobby is about. I suspect his lashing out about shooting it down was lashing out, and in that instance would not mention it, simply because it may appear you are going to argue who was in the wrong. (of course he would have been liable to criminal damage had he shot it down).

Reactions: BigAl07
Go to the police and tell them he made threats to shoot it down, would he shoot the police helicopter down or the air ambulance, he is breaking the law threatening you with violence.

Reactions: Basspig
That sounds ok to me but some people are just anti drone you could try talking to the person in question and see if you can find some common ground if not try another location best be safe than sorry bud ?

Well if you are flying at 350ft or higher and keep on the move he won’t be able to shoot you down anyway. He may make a little noise and waste a lot of ammo but you’ll likely be just fine. Lol

Reactions: Capt KO and snowy23
Well if you are flying at 350ft or higher and keep on the move he won’t be able to shoot you down anyway. He may make a little noise and waste a lot of ammo but you’ll likely be just fine. Lol
Private aircraft are flying over everywhere all the time. Just higher up.

This is not an English phenomenon, but a human one. Here in Germany there are such contemporaries who have to grumble against everything. I flew with my P3SE near a brown coal mine. No house, no man, only two people, a man with his wife on a bike. My drone had just risen to 164 feet, when the man came screaming closer, got off his bike and said he did not want to be watched, he called the police now. Well, I've presented my evidence of proof - in Germany also Drone Driver License - presented, on which also the Federal eagle in credit card format is clearly visible. Immediately the man fell silent, and when I reassured him that I was never felling people but just nature or other interesting things, like the big mining hole, he became very friendly and said goodbye. Actually, I do not need proof of knowledge for the P3SE, but I did it anyway, also for France, so I avoid big problems.

German / English translated with Google Translator

Some people just like to complain, it's their (sad) way of life. It is most likely he who is breaking the law by threatening to shoot you down, that is illegal. As has been said, in this country, unlike many others, he'll only have a shotgun, maximum killing range with birdshot is only 40-60 yards (120-180feet).

The others are correct. if you stay within the Drone Code then all is well. If the land you take off from and land on is common land, which you must check, then that is not a problem either. What is a problem is the threats he is making to shoot down the aircraft and also interfering with the pilot of an aircraft. In the UK drones are classed the same as full sized aircraft and thus are subject to the same laws. Making such threats is a severe breach of those laws, and if you see him again then be prepared to call the police to remind him of that. I also carry a laminated copy of the Drone Code so I can show it tho those disbelievers who think they have those rights to interfere.

Reactions: Basspig
Alan, if you were flying that high I don't think the man is going to be rational.
Your post made me think about something. I could be totally wrong. Is it possible the people in the UK are more intolerant of drone than elsewhere. Again I could be totally wrong but I wonder how it is in other countries?
Photography on public land from the ground is as misunderstood. I rarely fly now because you have to explain every single time to somebody who objects. Plus the professional tested drone operators get even angrier because of their paid for status. Hate it now

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31