LAT LONG POSITION WHILE FLYING

Reaction score
Is it possible to tell the drone's lat & long position while flying? I fly a Phantom 4 Advanced and use an Ipad Air.
Thanks for any help.

Somewhere in Litchi there is that option. I tried it but it was distracting on the video and turned it off but it is there. Not at the iPad so can't access it to tell right now.\
Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Phill2 and BigAl07
Somewhere in Litchi there is that option. I tried it but it was distracting on the video and turned it off but it is there. Not at the iPad so can't access it to tell right now.\
Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

It's in the options.
While we're on Litchi can you tell me what the blue dotted lines on the map are?
Thanks

Phill2, sorry. I’m having shoulder surgery in about four hours. Otherwise I could open up Litchi and check out the lines. Perhaps some other Litchi users can answer that.

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Phill2
I hardly ever use go and I'm not in a position to check it right now but I thought it reported the current long/lat when you tap the drone icon in the map?
Apologies if I'm having a senior moment....

Go 4 or whatever DJI’s app is is far inferior to Litchi. I have not flown it since it kept crashing in November 2016.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

I take it that there is nothing available using the "Go 4" ap.
Right -- there is no way to see the current lat and long when flying with DJI GO.

Thanks Phill2. Surgery went well and I may be able to fly with the sling on left arm!
Happy safe flying
Jim
WA5TEF

Go 4 or whatever DJI’s app is is far inferior to Litchi. I have not flown it since it kept crashing in November 2016.
Although Jim keeps saying this, the Go 4 app is of very high quality and better than Litchi for photographers.
Complaints about Go crashing or performing poorly are because people try to run it on a sub-standard tablet.
Litchi is good too and better than Go for waypoint flying but unless you particularly need some of its special features, there's no need to use it.

Although Jim keeps saying this, the Go 4 app is of very high quality and better than Litchi for photographers.
Agreed. It's really a great app.

Reactions: armand.vermeulen
I ended up on litchi because I was fed up with being nagged about updates. My drone flew just fine and I wasnt interested in what DJI were 'adding', plus scared of bricking my drone with forced firmware updates.
DJI make great drones but they're not very solid on the software/firmware side of their business, nor do they seem to have adequate customer support when updates cause issues.
I'd rather be flying than talking to DJI CS any day
Complaints about Go crashing or performing poorly are because people try to run it on a sub-standard tablet.
Litchi is good too and better than Go for waypoint flying but unless you particularly need some of its special features, there's no need to use it.

Reactions: Droner66
I ended up on litchi because I was fed up with being nagged about updates. My drone flew just fine and I wasnt interested in what DJI were 'adding', plus scared of bricking my drone with forced firmware updates.
I read about "forced updates all the time ... but I've only ever seen one and it was over a year ago and it was to correct a potential fatal flaw.
What gets blamed as "forced updates" is simply people leaving their phone or tablet to auto-update.

Good for GO. I’ve been flying Litchi since GO required an update that crashed when I tried it. I’ve not been bothered by any further software or firmware updates since that day in November 2016! Guess I’ll stick to the superior app Litchi!
Jim
WA5TEF

I get the precision Lat/Long by taking a picture in RAW format, and looking the 200 or so lines of MetaData with Exiftool(-k) free executable. I can set up a photo mission easily that way by hand flying the mission, composing the exact picture that I want to take on each flight of that mission, and enter the Lat/Long, Relative Altitude, Heading, and gimbal pitch from the MetaData into the Litchi Mission waypoints. Works a treat. There's a huge amount of info in the MetaData.

I get the precision Lat/Long by taking a picture in RAW format, and looking the 200 or so lines of MetaData with Exiftool(-k) free executable. I can set up a photo mission easily that way by hand flying the mission, composing the exact picture that I want to take on each flight of that mission, and enter the Lat/Long, Relative Altitude, Heading, and gimbal pitch from the MetaData into the Litchi Mission waypoints. Works a treat. There's a huge amount of info in the MetaData.
The Lat/Long is also available on all recorded video, if you turn on video captions in the GO 4 app, and enable them during video playback on your computer. You may need to first extract the .SRT files, if your video player does not support embedded .SRT files.

Reactions: gingerbloke

Is Exiftool an Android only app ?
Don’t see it in Apple App Store. There is an “Exif Viewer”, not sure if it’s comparable.

Is Exiftool an Android only app ?
Don’t see it in Apple App Store. There is an “Exif Viewer”, not sure if it’s comparable.

It's a PC computer application, Google will show you the way

Edited for precise clarification

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20